What are your pet peeves re English usage?

herberts

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 03:11 pm
Letty...
Quote:
and my mom didn't say ...

http://www.chatitaliachat.it/serpe/humor/245.gif... there's that word again... you did that on purpose didn't you... ?
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 03:21 pm
Hey, herberts. Get up from down in under there and quit worrying about porpoises.

My grandmother on my dad's side was called Ma by my siblings. She was dead before I was born.

The only grandmother that I knew, was my MOM's mother and I called her ganny. Don't ask, brat.
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 03:21 pm
Calling your mother 'mamma' obviously betrays an Italian or Mediterranean heritage in your background.

I thought all Americans refer to their father as 'pops' (pronounced 'pahps'). As in 'Hey pops! How many bums did you drop during the Vietnam war?'

Cool
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 03:27 pm
Letty, if you want to borrow a new avatar from me please don't hesitate to ask. An image-change could only be for the better.

Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 03:27 pm
Nope. No Italian. Most of my folks came straight from them British Isles except my mother's side which bragged a bit of Wales as attested by Ragland Castle.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 03:38 pm
Hey, you laughing monkey. I had a most difficult time getting this one to work, and had to go without for awhile.

I have become quite tolerant of informal language and often feel that it says more than the pluperfect kind.
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 03:39 pm
Well, you are a strange one, Letty. I thought you Americans - just as with Australians - would rather boil in a vat of bubbling bat-sh*t than confess to having English antecedents.

Talk to any Australian and he'll tell you his ancestry heralds from Ireland.. or Scotland... or Wales... or the Isle of Man... or a rowing-boat in the North Sea - ANYTHING but admit to an English[/i] heritage...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 03:41 pm
herberts wrote:
Calling your mother 'mamma' obviously betrays an Italian or Mediterranean heritage in your background.

Quote:

Main Entry: mam·ma
Variant(s): or ma·ma also mom·ma

Etymology: of baby-talk origin like English mam mother, German dialect mamme mother, Latin mamma mother, female breast, Greek mamma, mamm mother, Irish Gaelic & Welsh mam, Albanian mëmë, Russian mama
source: "mamma." Webster's Third New International Dictionary, Unabridged. Merriam-Webster, 2002. http://unabridged.merriam-webster.com (24 Mar. 2006).
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 03:47 pm
Yep, I'm a WASP alright.

Ah, Walter. You are the best referee that I know, and I'll bet you don't even down own a stripped shirt. <smile>Thanks, you delightful Goiman. (that's northern speak for German)
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:01 pm
Letty...
Quote:
I have become quite tolerant of informal language and often feel that it says more than the pluperfect kind.

My sentiments exactly - couldn't have said it better. I always duck into the nearest alleyway whenever I see them pluperfect snobs approaching along the sidewalk with their airs and graces and fancy pretensions.

Daytona Beach-babe...
Quote:
Hey, you laughing monkey. I had a most difficult time getting this one to work, and had to go without for awhile.

You should have left it blank - it would have been far more flattering. pm me for instructions.
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:10 pm
I see Walter has finally managed to stumble his exhausted but happy carcass out of that seedy hotel room where for the past coupla days he's been 'entertaining' a certain red-headed fire-cracker known locally as 'Sigfrieda' to her many satisfied customers... http://www.kenzy.com/smilies/gorgeous.gif

Very Happy
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:10 pm
Herberts, honey. You shan't get a rise out of me with that comment. Just ask McTag. I'm a looker. <smile>
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:22 pm
Daytona Beach-babe...
Quote:
Herberts, honey. You shan't get a rise out of me with that comment. Just ask McTag. I'm a looker. <smile>

Oh yeah? http://67.18.37.17/1481/4/emo/w00t%5B1%5D.gif That brings us full-circle to well-hung prepositions propositioning cyber-chicks on forum boards... http://www.xtrememass.com/forum//images/smilies/1110/naughty.gif

I look forward to seeing your new avatar.http://67.18.37.14/html/emoticons/wub.gif
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 04:30 pm
Well, herberts, I must admit that you have a sense of HUMOUR, and I think we have made some PROgress with our STAYtus in the issue of language and environs.
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:16 pm
Wow. Embarrassed This flattering analysis of my PROgress toward a more elevated STAYtus with regard to HUMOUR and well-hung prepositions has relieved me of much of my previous anxiety.

Thanks for that Letty.

Don't forget to postup your bikini-clad new avatar. Cool
0 Replies

Krekel

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:33 pm
I've posted something on this forum, I think my English has let me down. I wrote:

'He'll has to use a sledge hammer'.

Shouldn't it be:

'He'll have to use a sledge hammer'?

Or was I right in the first place?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:36 pm
You look like one a them grump atheists to me . . . the kind that eat lil' chilrens of a Sunday mornin' . . . i ain'ta gonna answer none a yer questions . . .
0 Replies

Krekel

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:55 pm
This is grumpy speaking, to be specific, hungry and grumpy. So, I advice you to answer my question ... or I'll eat your children!

I don't believes it, when I don't sees it ... thus I eat children!

(I'm aware of the surplus in s's)
0 Replies

Krekel

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 06:32 pm
*starts eating*
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 11:21 pm
Hi Krekel. I think you might be ready for a dirty weekend with someone called Big Bertha who keeps a room at the notorious Hinteler's Whorehouse on Walterstrasse in downtown Sigfriedasburg in North Rhine-Westphalia.

Cool
0 Replies