What are your pet peeves re English usage?

McTag

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:25 am
Dear wouterwouter, you are most welcome of course.

And you have demonstrated in your posts that you are one of the foreigners who speak/write better English than most of the native speakers.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 05:33 am
Sorry - I haven't kept up with this thread. But, has anyone talked about dangling prepositions? They always irritate me.

Wrong: The story she was referring to is very exciting.

Right: The story to which she is referring is very exciting.

Wrong: That is a lie I simply cannot listen to.

Right: That is a lie to which I simply cannot listen.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 06:22 am
snood wrote:
Sorry - I haven't kept up with this thread. But, has anyone talked about dangling prepositions? They always irritate me.

Wrong: The story she was referring to is very exciting.

Right: The story to which she is referring is very exciting.

Wrong: That is a lie I simply cannot listen to.

Right: That is a lie to which I simply cannot listen. I think there a misdemeanours and real fouls here.

i agree they are irritating

but would you actually say

The example to which you referred in a previous instance

or The example you referred to before? We use hanging prepositions alll the time in speech, in fact not to do so can sound rather pompous.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 06:45 am
Yeah, that's the danger of correct useage sometimes - and I try not to sound that way, in everyday conversation. Sometimes the misusage of the preposition seems pretty glaring to me, is all I meant (and this is a thread about pet peeves, after all). In any case, you won't see me correcting anyone's grammar in A2K.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 06:46 am
Yeah, that's the danger of correct useage sometimes - and I try not to sound that way, in everyday conversation. Sometimes the misuse of the preposition seems pretty glaring to me, and that's all I meant (this is a thread about pet peeves, after all). In any case, you won't see me correcting anyone's grammar in A2K.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 06:59 am
snood wrote:
Yeah, that's the danger of correct useage sometimes - and I try not to sound that way, in everyday conversation. Sometimes the misuse of the preposition seems pretty glaring to me, and that's all I meant (this is a thread about pet peeves, after all). In any case, you won't see me correcting anyone's grammar in A2K.
No I agree with you snood, its a perfectly respectable peeve which we should all be annoyed with. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:01 am
snood and Steve,

As long as the object of the preposition is somewhere in the sentence, it is not incorrect.

Don't you remember Winston Churchill's observation when his editor corrected him on prepositions?

"This is an impertinence up with which I will not put." Love it!
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:02 am
In response to pendantry from his civil servants, Churchill is attributed with the phrase:

"This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put."

Clearly ironic use of the "correct" structure...but a danger of which we must all be aware!

KP
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:06 am
KP, I think the difference has to do with formal and informal use of the Queen's English. <smile>
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 07:57 am
Letty wrote:
snood and Steve,

As long as the object of the preposition is somewhere in the sentence, it is not incorrect.

Don't you remember Winston Churchill's observation when his editor corrected him on prepositions?

"This is an impertinence up with which I will not put." Love it!
Neither snood nor I said it was incorrect Letty, just irritating. Now that you and KP (hi KP) remind me of Churchill's riposte I'm tempted to try and think up ever more "hanging" prepositions.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:10 am
I've got a feeling my pal JTT will disagree with some of this.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:10 am
Hang on and hang in, Steve. We don't want to turn this into a debate as it was just an observation, Brit.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:36 am
McTag wrote:
I've got a feeling my pal JTT will disagree with some of this.
tch tch

"I've got a feeling my pal JTT with some of this will disagree"
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 08:56 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 10:26 am
Sir Paul: "But if this ever-changing world in which we live in"
Laughing
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:36 pm
I've been tempted to post up a picture of a well-hung preposition - but I've decided against it on the grounds it might offend some code of public decency here.

Cool
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:44 pm
Hey, herberts. It ain't a hanging offence.
0 Replies

herberts

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:46 pm
There's only one word in the American version of the English language which irritates the bejesus out of me... it's 'mom'.

No American actually says 'mom' - you all say 'mum' just like the rest of us... so why do you people insist on it being spelt/spelled 'mom'... ?

And while I'm here - you Yanks can stop calling a 'bomb' a 'bum'. It's not a 'bum'... it's a 'BOM' as in 'bomb'.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:50 pm
A tour de force of idiocy . . . i know of no Americans who do not say "Mom," and who pronounce it in any other fashion than "mom."

But the member "herberts" has demonstrated long ago a dedication to false and stupid statements which is breathtaking in its dogged adherence to a ludicrous principle . . .
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 24 Mar, 2006 02:58 pm
Actually, I call my mater, mamma, and my pater, daddy.

and my mom didn't say 'maters, she said toMAHtoes. East Virginians are odd, no?
0 Replies