What are your pet peeves re English usage?

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:55 am
Setanta wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
but then doont take my advice, I know nothing about car mechanics Smile

This 'Merican is drivin' 'round the west country in Ireland, when his car breaks down miles from the nearest village. So he lifts the hood (that's bonnet, for English-impaired readers), to see if he can perhaps fix himself, when he hears:

Psst, i t'ink it's yer alternator . . .

This kinda spooks him, and he looks around quickly, but he can't see anyone--just the green hillsides, some sheep in the distance, a white horse by the stone wall . . . so he turns back to the car, when . . .

Psst, Hey Yank, i'm tellin' ya, it's t'e altenator . . .

He turns around again, and there's the horse, which says . . .

You'll need ta get it towed, ya won't find no alternator out here.

Well, he totally freaks out, and literally runs into the nearest town. He arranges to get the car towed, and then heads for the local public house. He steps up and orders a beer, and the Publican asks him:

What's the matter, Governor, you seem spooked?

Well, my car broke down outside the town, and i was looking under the hood to see if i could fix it myself, when this horse tells me its the alternator.

'Twas an ould white horse, was it?

Well, yeah, now that you mention it, it was . . .

Ach, now, never you mind, he don't know not'in 'bout cars . . .

been there heard it bought the t shirt but yes great joke Smile

This I SWEAR is true.

I was on business near Skibereen. I was looking for a small manufacturing jewellers shop, for which I only had address Main Street (insert name of tiny village here)

I asked a woman Is this Main Street?

she said Yes it is (a lot)

Somewhat overcome by this new friendship I started to make excuses to get going...finally I said thank you for the umpteenth time and walked on.

The lady walked after me to say BOTH SIDES. which never ceases to raise a smile with me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 09:01 am
heeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 04:24 pm
And, of course you all know the story about the Yank who was visiting Ireland for the first time. He had heard that the Irish tend to answer every question with another question. Wishing to visit the GPO where the Revolution of 1916 got its start, he was careful how he was going to pose his question. So he stopped a local Dubliner on the street and asked straight out: "Pardon me but could you direct me to the General Post Office?" The Irishman looked him up and down and answered: "And is it a postage stamp ye'd be wantin'?"
0 Replies

easyasabc

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:03 pm
I'm not a grammar cop or anything and I'm not at all picky. Especially on forums, we can't expect some kind of Shakespearean effort. However, I have noticed that some of the most educated and well-spoken people will misuse "hang" and "hung."

E.g., "That convicted criminal should be hung." He should say the criminal should be hanged.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:06 pm
Welcome to A2K, easyasabc, and to the thread of exemplary excellence in English. But, be careful. Wait til JTT sees your post. Run if you see him coming! Smile
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:36 pm
easyasabc wrote:
Especially on forums...

Here you can learn that the proper plural of forum is fora

But I'm no grammar cop...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 02:41 pm
The last time the hanged/hung question arose, in another thread, the self-appointed maven of English (lacking any discernable basis for the position) responded by "googling" the usages. Apart from statistical hilarity ensuing, it's evidence of the poverty of the maven's position . . .
0 Replies

easyasabc

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 03:24 pm
Francis wrote:
easyasabc wrote:
Especially on forums...

Here you can learn that the proper plural of forum is fora

But I'm no grammar cop...

Yeah, fora probably is the plural or forum. But sometimes people can be a little too proper and become known as pedantics. Virtually everyone says "forums."

Well, I guess I'll go look for some fora. Eh?

BTW, off topic here, but I'm just curious. When referring to people named Bush, which would be proper? "The Bushes are planning to ..., the bush's are planning to ..., the Bushs' are ...", etc.?

Embarrassed
0 Replies

theministerscat

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 04:07 pm
not knowing the difference between "your" and &quo
I work in the writing center at my college, and you would be surprised at how much this comes up.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 07:36 pm
easyasabc -- the proper expression re: the Bushes is "The Shrubbery is planning to ..." [etc.]

theministercat -- We'd be surprised at how much what comes up? Keep it clean, now.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2005 08:42 pm
The Bushes are...
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 07:34 am
easyasabc wrote:
I'm not a grammar cop or anything and I'm not at all picky. Especially on forums, we can't expect some kind of Shakespearean effort. However, I have noticed that some of the most educated and well-spoken people will misuse "hang" and "hung."

E.g., "That convicted criminal should be hung." He should say the criminal should be hanged.

While some dialects lean towards your preference, Eaabc, there is nothing at all in language that requires the use of 'hanged' for executions.

Language isn't decided by people making prescriptions. Language is decided by people who use language.

---------------------------

"Hang tends to be regular in the execution/suicide sense; hung is certainly found in this sense (eg. hung in effigy), but is condemned in some usage manuals." [The Cambridge Grammar of the English Language]

---------------------------

M-W

Main Entry Hang

usage For both transitive and intransitive senses 1b the past and past participle hung, as well as hanged, is standard. Hanged is most appropriate for official executions <he was to be hanged, cut down whilst still alive ... and his bowels torn out -- Louis Allen> but hung is also used <gave orders that she should be hung -- Peter Quennell>. Hung is more appropriate for less formal hangings <by morning I'll be hung in effigy -- Ronald Reagan>.

--------------------------
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 07:39 am
Well, whichever way one uses it, I remain well hanged. Have been since the age of fourteen.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 12 Dec, 2005 07:42 am
Ah, I see, we are to defer to the example of Ronald Reagan. Now there's a thought.
0 Replies

dfx

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:17 pm
The thing that bugs me the most is the misuse of comparative and superlative adjectives.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:22 pm
Oh come on, there's gotta be something worser than that . . .
0 Replies

dfx

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:23 pm
Setanta wrote:
Oh come on, there's gotta be something worser than that . . .

Nice.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 01:24 pm
thanks
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 03:54 pm
dfx wrote : "The thing that bugs me the most is the misuse of comparative and superlative adjectives. "

my grampa warned me of making such a grievious error eons ago . he most definetely knew what he was talking about. i still thank him on bended knee for his advice , even today . hbg
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2005 04:18 pm
That's the most best gripe I've heard today.
0 Replies