What are your pet peeves re English usage?

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 01:52 pm
You mean, sorting in the sorting-out?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 02:30 pm
silly dance for plebian types

"You put your left leg in
Your left leg out
In, out, in, out
Shake it all about"

(cockernies and the like)
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2005 04:54 pm
And that's what it's all about.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 16 Nov, 2005 11:41 pm
Not had a good peeve for a while.

When does "stressed" become "stressed out"? I would like to off the out. The phrase is ugly and clumsy.

Does it irk you when people say theve got "a touch of 'flu" when they've got a chill or a cold? I know it does me.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 01:00 am
I suppose, people worldwide get a 'flu' when they just have a cold.

Annoys me since I was told the difference as a young boy.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 17 Nov, 2005 04:06 am
I doubt that the 'flu'/'cold' dichotomy is really a valid linguistic peeve. More often the misuse of the word 'flu' (which itself is a slangy abbreviation for influenza) is due to finding a handy excuse for not going to work but calling in sick instead. Kind of hard to do if all you've got is a common cold. But the flu, now, that's a dandy reason for taking a couple of says off.

I agree, Mac, that 'stressed out' is a rather ugly phrase. Out of what?
0 Replies

elementary

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:19 pm
Perhaps these are already on here, but: "For God Sakes!" instead of "For God's Sake!" and "I Could Care Less" instead of "I Couldn't Care Less" oh, you could care less, could you? Did anyone happen to see this story about teaching literature via text messaging? I'm not so sure what I think about this -- I mean text messaging is sort of its own language now, particularly with that T9 text function (www.textfast.t9.com), but is it really appropriate for literature?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2005 04:26 pm
An interesting question about text messaging. Many attempts to depict "future langauge" in pulp science fiction have relied upon a concept of abbreviation, and of spelling rationalization (thru instead of through, tho insteand of though, etc.). Although such a source is usually not in the least predictive, some aspects of pulp science fiction have been realized--most notably, the concept of haing access to one's bank account by virtue of a small plastic card dispensing "credits," which is to say that the idea of a bank card became a commonplace of pulp science fiction before the card reader was even invented. Perhaps it will prove equally predictive with regard to language development, and perhaps the text message will be the agent.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 01:35 am
Over my d/b
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 03:52 am
McTag wrote:
Not had a good peeve for a while.

When does "stressed" become "stressed out"? I would like to off the out. The phrase is ugly and clumsy.

Quote:

Stressed is when I'm flying to Bombay with McTag from London in 12 hours and I'm in Paris an hour from the airport. Stressed out is when I discover I've forgotten my school brochures and hairbrush and haven't checked my passport and am worried my bank card isn't working. Mad
0 Replies

roverroad

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 03:55 am
My biggest pet peaves :wink: regarding English usage are people who complain about my spelling mistakes.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 06:18 am
I just run into an old pet peeve of mine while writing a technical document at work: Can you use the word 'whose' when its antedecent is a thing, meaning it is usually referred to by words deriving from 'it' and 'that' rather than from 'who'? Take this sentence for example: "The car whose engine had broken down was towed away." Is the "whose" grammatically valid here, or does it overpersonalise the car? "Whose" sounds alright to me, but it also seems illogical because a car is an 'it', not a 'who'. If this isn't valid, is there a one-word replacement for the "who", or do you have to rearrange the whole sentence?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:29 am
That should have been "I just ran into an old . . . "

You might write: "The car, the engine of which, had broken down . . . "--but it's a helluva lot easier just to write whose . . .
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:39 am
Setanta wrote:
That should have been "I just ran into an old . . . "

Thunks.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:41 am
You weccum . . .
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 07:51 am
Thomas wrote:
I just run into an old pet peeve of mine while writing a technical document at work: Can you use the word 'whose' when its antedecent is a thing, meaning it is usually referred to by words deriving from 'it' and 'that' rather than from 'who'? Take this sentence for example: "The car whose engine had broken down was towed away." Is the "whose" grammatically valid here, or does it overpersonalise the car? "Whose" sounds alright to me, but it also seems illogical because a car is an 'it', not a 'who'. If this isn't valid, is there a one-word replacement for the "who", or do you have to rearrange the whole sentence?

Whose does sound a bit silly.

I think we would say with or which

The car with the broken down engine
or
The car which had a broken down engine

but then doont take my advice, I know nothing about car mechanics Smile
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:01 am
... and then again, cars are persons. How many times have I talked to mine saying things like: "Come on baby, you can make it to the next gas station. Don't let me down now -- puleeease?" Never got a reply though. Clearly she isn't a big talker.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:06 am
My Bessie is a mute, as well. But she's a real trooper, and she positively purrs down the highway when we do a road trip . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:12 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
but then doont take my advice, I know nothing about car mechanics Smile

This 'Merican is drivin' 'round the west country in Ireland, when his car breaks down miles from the nearest village. So he lifts the hood (that's bonnet, for English-impaired readers), to see if he can perhaps fix himself, when he hears:

Psst, i t'ink it's yer alternator . . .

This kinda spooks him, and he looks around quickly, but he can't see anyone--just the green hillsides, some sheep in the distance, a white horse by the stone wall . . . so he turns back to the car, when . . .

Psst, Hey Yank, i'm tellin' ya, it's t'e altenator . . .

He turns around again, and there's the horse, which says . . .

You'll need ta get it towed, ya won't find no alternator out here.

Well, he totally freaks out, and literally runs into the nearest town. He arranges to get the car towed, and then heads for the local public house. He steps up and orders a beer, and the Publican asks him:

What's the matter, Governor, you seem spooked?

Well, my car broke down outside the town, and i was looking under the hood to see if i could fix it myself, when this horse tells me its the alternator.

'Twas an ould white horse, was it?

Well, yeah, now that you mention it, it was . . .

Ach, now, never you mind, he don't know not'in 'bout cars . . .
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 21 Nov, 2005 08:45 am
Thomas wrote:
... and then again, cars are persons. How many times have I talked to mine saying things like: "Come on baby, you can make it to the next gas station. Don't let me down now -- puleeease?" Never got a reply though. Clearly she isn't a big talker.

you're anthropomorphising again Thomas

[thats a big word which I think I might just have invented]
0 Replies