What are your pet peeves re English usage?

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 06:49 am
ok ok nice sentiments, pity about the grammar. And the rhyme. And I never liked that song anyway.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 06:51 am
Actually, there's nothing grammatically wrong with the doubles 'ovs'. I remember that back in the days when pterodactyls still roamed the earth at will, I was taught in school that such usage as "keep youir hands off of that" was a no-no. They don't teach that any more. If you think about it, there's nothing logically wrong with the construction; it just sounds awkward to many of us.

But I agree with you wholeheartedly, lezzles, about substituting "of" for "have." (Although McTag is also correct in pointing out that, in speech, 'would've' and 'would of' sound almost identical.)
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 07:21 am
Merry Andrew wrote:
I was taught in school that such usage as "keep youir hands off of that" was a no-no. They don't teach that any more. If you think about it, there's nothing logically wrong with the construction; it just sounds awkward to many of us.

It sounds very strange to us. Of course we know what you mean, but "off of" is never used here. I would say its usage is almost the definitive marker as identifying the speaker as American and not British.

As for it being grammatically correct, I just dont know. Certainly the "of" seems to be superfluous.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 08:19 am
At times Canada seems superfluous, but don't tell my Sweetiepie i said that.
0 Replies

Hefaity

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 09:54 am
Hello
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 30 Oct, 2005 03:36 pm
Hi.
0 Replies

chichan

Reply Mon 31 Oct, 2005 10:25 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
Merry Andrew wrote:
I was taught in school that such usage as "keep youir hands off of that" was a no-no. They don't teach that any more. If you think about it, there's nothing logically wrong with the construction; it just sounds awkward to many of us.

It sounds very strange to us. Of course we know what you mean, but "off of" is never used here. I would say its usage is almost the definitive marker as identifying the speaker as American and not British.

As for it being grammatically correct, I just dont know. Certainly the "of" seems to be superfluous.

This collocation is used in all dialects of English, Steve and it is fully grammatical. Neither superfluous nor redundant, in and of themselves, make a structure ungrammatical, you, you, you turd! [example only; I certainly don't think Steve's a turd]

Total web hits - Google exact phrase search

Results 1 - 10 of about 10,300,000 for "off of the".

Results 1 - 10 of about 238,000,000 for "off the".

Google - UK pages only

Results 1 - 10 of about 16,700,000 for "off the".

Results 1 - 10 of about 438,000 for "off of the".

The reason that you see far fewer hits is that this structure is not the normal neutral. Normal neutral collocations show up much more often in language because most encounters are not emotionally charged.

People use "off of" to be more strident, more emotive.

Get your hands off of my stuff!

Of course, it is most often reduced in such situations to <offa>.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 12:50 am
It used to be a clicheed phrase for hicks or hayseeds, say in a western movie

"He fell off'n the wagon"

-and that's how I still think of it, so once again I am at odds with my friend chichan.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:25 am
chichan wrote:

Total web hits - Google exact phrase search

Results 1 - 10 of about 10,300,000 for "off of the".

Results 1 - 10 of about 238,000,000 for "off the".

i.e. about 4%

Google - UK pages only

Results 1 - 10 of about 16,700,000 for "off the".

Results 1 - 10 of about 438,000 for "off of the".

i.e. about 2%

The reason that you see far fewer hits [if you mean between UK and world wide pages there's not much difference! ] is that this structure is not the normal neutral. Normal neutral collocations show up much more often in language because most encounters are not emotionally charged.

People use "off of" to be more strident, more emotive. Not in England they dont

Get your hands off of my stuff! Here.. Get your hands off my stuff!!

Of course, it is most often reduced in such situations to <offa>.

Ah I see... as in the dyke. Get offa offas dyke. And leave his missus alone too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:36 am
A google search for a particular usage could not be a more ridiculous measure of the prevelance of a usage. It excludes all those who do not post online, it excludes all those who neither post nor read online, it takes no account for the frequency with which any individual posts as opposed to all other individuals. It's a truly witless exercise--i find JTT tedious and snotty, so i've never mentioned it before, but i finally tired of his attempt to force his authority on others through a phoney contention that all of his dicta are purely usage-derived. He's no authority, but continues to attempt, through sneering scorn if no other method offers, to suggest that he is.

English is a language not much amenable to a concept of authoritative statement.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:52 am
Hey! You! Get offa my cloud!

- M. Jagger, Esq
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:55 am
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd . . .
Well, my cloud, Baby . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:56 am
I wasn't aware that Mr. Jagger kept horses, although he could certainly afford to do, n'est-ce pas?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:12 am
(its not Mr Jagger anymore...he's Sir Michael, or Lord Rubberlips or something...almost royalty actually)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:41 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
(its not Mr Jagger anymore...he's Sir Michael, or Lord Rubberlips or something...almost royalty actually)

You can improve your English reading at the BBC about his knighthood, btw - not referring to the noble gentlemen on this site, of course, but only to those, who have to answer question about what to do, when someone spills your beer and the minimum time you must have been married before you can divorce. :wink:
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 09:00 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

So, ya lost me . . . does that mean he has lots of horses?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 06:52 pm
Setanta wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

So, ya lost me . . . does that mean he has lots of horses?

yep several best selling albums and ensures equine success.
0 Replies

chichan

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 07:18 pm
Setanta wrote:
English is a language not much amenable to a concept of authoritative statement.

A authoritative quote, albeit one that is sadly, way off the mark.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:19 pm
If anyone were expert at being way off the mark, it would be JTT--ego extraordinaire, expertise existent only in his own perfervid imagination . . .
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 1 Nov, 2005 08:21 pm
Snuck. I hate that non-word. It's "sneaked". But even journalists here are using it now. It's right up there with "dove" - not the bird but the past tense of "to dive". It's "dived" not "dove".
0 Replies