What are your pet peeves re English usage?

dlowan

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 04:06 am
Gimme a sec
0 Replies

tonyf

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 02:57 am
peeves
I'd agree with most of the list of peeves - especially the it's and its confusion. The distinction is simple and straightforward, why do so many people get wrong?
I'd add the appalling 'faux-polite" response:
Hi Mike? How are you?
I'm well and yourself?

Yourself? urrgh!

Also, on the "gotten" issue - it does grate in British English, but is explicable :- forget - forgot - forgotten is still in use; but the 'get - got - got" seems to have shifted away from that (germanic?) root. Is it that North American English has clung on to the old form (get got gotten) while the Brit English form has moved on?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 03:40 am
Yes, seemingly American English has retained several old expressions and usages of 18th Century ( and 17th Century?) English which British English has altered.

Bill Bryson writes entertainingly about this in "Mother Tongue".

"How's yourself?" or even "How's himself?" sounds to me a bit like a colloquial Irish utterance, quite charming, and not intended to be correct grammar by the user.

IMO the use if "yourself" in this way just emphasises and elevates the recipient, somehow. Reflecting the spotlight, so to speak.
0 Replies

manticore

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 09:20 pm
I just "remembered" my pet peeve. Basically; I absolutely hate it when people overuse that word, and worse, I am now starting to use it because it is repeated ad nauseum by so many people. That word is so overused by some people that I have nightmares about them repeating it over and over. It's very irritating when someone keeps saying 'basically' all the time, in fact even one time is irritating because it's usually not used appropriately. People seem to have forgotten the root of 'basically': basic. You DON'T use the word 'basically' when you are trying to surmise something about the chaos theory. There is nothing basic about the chaos theory and using 'basically' will only make you look like an ass. 'Basically' is an affront to intelligent conversation and I hope people will be banned from using it more than once in a conversation.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 1 Oct, 2005 11:43 pm
Heard on our radio and TV interviews a lot nowadays, from everyone it seems from sportsmen to politicians: "At the end of the day..."

This little phrase has become so hackneyed. I hope it is soon replaced.

What other colloquial phrases could be substituted? Can you suggest any? I'll start off with

In the final analysis
when push comes to shove
when all's said and done
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 02:31 am
ummm like basically its like at the end of the day like almost unique.

God it hurt to write that.

"The bottom line is....."
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 03:30 am
I totally agree with all that. Totally.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Sun 2 Oct, 2005 12:17 pm
brilliant
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 01:55 am
what peeves me about english is that just when i've come to grips with william shakespeare as a playwright...and can spell his name, somebody publishes some research saying it wasnt him.

latest candidate sir henry neville.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 02:03 am
My peeve today is the horrible non-word "fayre"

You see it outside pubs, and downmarket restaurants

"Brewer's Fayre"
Traditional fayre"
"Country Fayre"

Whether they mean fare, as in food, or fair, as in summertime celebration, the faux-traditional atmosphere presumably sought by the advertiser is absolutely NOT conjured up for me by the use of that mis-conceived misspelling.

I HATE IT!

Gosh, that feels better now. Thank you.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 02:20 am
I'm having a spot of bother with India just at the moment McTag. I believe there were quite a few Scots as well as English there at one time.

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=50820&start=330

any comment Wink
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 02:23 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
I'm having a spot of bother with India just at the moment McTag. I believe there were quite a few Scots as well as English there at one time.

any comment Wink

The jocks are like dogsh*t...they get EVERYWHERE
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 02:52 am
McTag wrote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:

any comment Wink

The jocks are like dogsh*t...they get EVERYWHERE

Laughing

(You know its good old British self deprecating humour like that which can get you in trouble...its shows you have a superior sense of humour, and as you are not allowed to display superiority in anything these days, let alone humour...its therefore covert racism Sad)

anyroad up back to dogsh1t...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 03:02 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
its therefore covert racism Sad)

hmm... bashing at most :wink:
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 04:06 am
Can I have a whinge about pronunciation?

I cringe when I hear "ungyon" instead of "onion".

Drives me nuts. There is a bloke on the drive show of the local station belonging to our national broadcaster who is very good but says "ungyon" when he means "onion".

Booker T and the MGs - "Green Ungyons" Mad
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 04:42 am
"There is a bloke .......who is very good..."

knows his ungyons eh Smile?

I dont think Ive ever heard onions pronounced like that.

Is it supposed to be "cool" or funny? Or is it just sloppy use of English?

quite fascinated actually....is it really said as

Ungy-ons?

Well onions or ungyons, I shouldnt touch the green ones if I were you. g-day to you gf.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 05:53 am
Re fayre
Is this supposed to be ye olde englishe?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 06:02 am
According to Wikipedia
Quote:
Fayre is an archaic spelling of the word fair, used mostly from the 15th to the 17th century. This spelling is now confusingly used for both fair and fare. ...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 06:05 am
So it's really Middle English, to answer your question, dadpad.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Wed 5 Oct, 2005 06:37 am
Cheers Steve - I should record him and send you an mp3....he really does say "ungyons"...and given it's the drive show it's quite dangerous, I get this red mist in front of my eyes and ....not really, no "ungyon" road rage from me Very Happy

I thought at first it was an affectation but nope, he keeps on doing it.

Nearly as bad as the sheila on the afternoon show who keeps interjecting with non-word grunts as her guests speak. Yes, it really is our national broadcaster.
0 Replies