What are your pet peeves re English usage?

McTag

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 07:25 am
I think that "the anguish languish" works better if you are Aussie or maybe Sath Efrikin.

We Jocks know there is a world of difference between a hostel fire and hostile fire.
0 Replies

Boephe

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 07:42 am
i am unable to ennumciate (I hope i got that right) the difference between "tall" and "tool" or "fall" and "fool"

so anguish really works for me. Do you know, though, what "evervescent" replaces??
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 25 Sep, 2005 11:56 pm
We Aussies tend to speak "Strine" not "anguish" in more informal settings. Airgone djyavagoodweekend, (How are you going, did you have a good weekend) is quite common.

There are Strine dictionaries available.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 02:02 am
dadpad wrote:
We Aussies tend to speak "Strine" not "anguish" in more informal settings. Airgone djyavagoodweekend, (How are you going, did you have a good weekend) is quite common.

There are Strine dictionaries available.

I've seen one- "Lit Stalk Strine"

funny.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 04:38 am
Try this on McTag

Shes very assprad

I yadder jorbsa bandry raida

Arm arm markim storp
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 09:16 am
I haven't got the third one yet
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 03:47 pm
Ha. The third one's the only one I got. Must have something to do with the difference in Brit and Yank pronunciations.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 04:09 pm
It's all the fault of the Dutch.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 05:05 pm
dys-

Just seen No Direction Home.Don't miss it and lock your ego up.
0 Replies

chichan

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 06:37 pm
spendius wrote:
Referring to the Usage Panel chichan said-

Quote:
You have to understand the purpose of the panel. They are there to placate all the old prescriptivists. You can, for most intents and purposes, ignore their opinions for the panel consists of people who know their language well, they just don't know how it works.

They are like most people who tend to just unthinkingly repeat what their old school marm told them.

They do need to try to maintain a certain standard in the language for the legal profession and for drafting legislation and for research papers and such like.Allowing street usage,which has its own fascinations,would lead to all sorts of difficulties as it often does on these threads.It would take a Solomon to unwind some of Dylan's quadruple negatives for a jury but we all know what he means.

I would ban "quite unique" because it means nothing.It renders the sentence it's in into the quack of a duck.A judge would roll his eyes despairingly if counsel tried that on him.This fag I'm smoking is unique.I'd stop reading at a "quite unique".

More repetition of the ole school marm blather, Spendius. Language takes care of itself, it always has and it always will. Some judges might do as you say on 'quite unique', but then they'd be as mistaken about how language works as you are here.

You can, and you're welcome to, like all the misguided folk who have come before you, think you can ban anything you want to do with language.

" ... the process of linguistic change seems as ineluctable and impersonal as continental drift. From this Olympian point of view, not even the Norman invasion had much of an effect on the structure of the language, and all the tirades of all the grammarians since the Renaissance sound like the prattlings of landscape gardeners who hope by frantic efforts to keep Alaska from bumping into Asia. "
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 06:41 pm
chichan, huh? Is that a pseudonym for JTT?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 26 Sep, 2005 11:55 pm
How perspicacious of you. I've been missing old JTT. But a rose, by any other name...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 01:51 am
dadpad wrote:
Try this on McTag

Shes very assprad

I yadder jorbsa bandry raida

Arm arm markim storp

shes very Houseproud

l had a job as a boundry rider

Mum mum make him stop
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 02:41 am
I eventually got there.

But she could have been ass-proud as well. ? Smile
0 Replies

Josquin

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 04:54 am
I work with someone who says <between you and I>, <for you and I> all the time. I really can't stand it. Does anyone know a way to put her right? Without offending her, I mean?

JdP
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 06:57 am
Offer her some money.
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 01:58 pm
Pet peeves....Has anyone mentioned "Just one second"? Or does that count as english usage?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 03:16 pm
How about "Arf a tick"?
0 Replies

booman2

Reply Tue 27 Sep, 2005 04:40 pm
Somewhere in the UK right?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2005 03:46 am
Quote: