neologist

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 02:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I suggest your examination of the Bible has been to look for outs. Many are there for those who don't look further.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 02:42 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

I suggest your examination of the Bible has been to look for outs. Many are there for those who don't look further.

Maybe you didn't study it hard enough.
neologist

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 02:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
In high school we might put the history book under our pillow so we could tell the teacher we spent all night over it.

Is that what you mean? 'Cause we didn't get smart. Very Happy
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 03:04 pm
Quote:
Smileyrius said: @RF-
1-What leads you to believe Genesis to be metaphorical?
2 Is the garden of eden a place that existed?
3 Did the creation account happen as in Genesis?
4 Was Adam a real character?
5 Did Adam ever have a chance of eating from the tree and thus living forever?

It's not important whether parts of Genesis were metaphorical or not. If you want to believe a talking snake was there, then you're free to believe it. Likewise if people want to believe the snake was a metaphor for sly satan, they're free to believe that too. Likewise, Adam might or might not have been real. People are free to believe whatever they like and it won't condemn them to hell either way!
Instead of being side-tracked with such irrelevancies we should look at the underlying MESSAGE of the Eden story, Adam/Eve were set up for life in beautiful Eden, but chose to disobey God by eating the fruit, and everything went pear-shaped after that.
The message is therefore that our earth could be an Eden today if people stopped disobeying God..Smile
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 03:16 pm
Quote:
Neologist said: Let me amend Smiley's words to say you are uncomfortable to consider anything beyond what you wish to spout. You realize, of course, that The NT writers referred liberally to the Book of Genesis as fact.
Do you also add to your "credentials" as a "holy man" the suggestive comments you make in such threads as these? http://able2know.org/topic/231360-1#post-5552852

Like I said, if the NT writers want to think a talking snake was in Eden, they're free to believe it, it's none of my business..Smile
Likewise, if you JW's want to believe transfusions, church spires, christmas, easter and birthdays are evil, and that Jesus was crucified on a pole, that's none of my business either, I don't think you'll go to hell for any of that, except perhaps for the transfusion business.

As for my "suggestive" remarks, you JW fuddy-duddies have got no sense of humour and you all dress in boring clothes-
WIKI- JW Modesty in dress and grooming is frequently emphasized
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses

I bet your meetings are like undertakers conventions..Wink
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 03:21 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

In high school we might put the history book under our pillow so we could tell the teacher we spent all night over it.

Not really.

What I am saying is that (most) books contain thoughts that can be used for self or societal benefit...and also contain thoughts that could just as well not be written.

My guess is that you've come across gems of wisdom in books you never expected to furnish anything but a slight diversion.

I certainly have.

In any case, my comment was made in response to your "
neologist wrote:

Not really.

What I am saying is that (most) books contain thoughts that can be used for self or societal benefit...and also contain thoughts that could just as well not be written.

My guess is that you've come across gems of wisdom in books you never expected to furnish anything but a slight diversion.

I certainly have.

In any case, Neo, my comment was made in response to your "If you carefully examine the scriptures, searching as if for treasure, you will find it."

I strongly agree with you on that. Examine the Bible searching for treasures and you almost certainly will find them. That holds for just about any book.

Examine the Bible for nonsense...and you will almost certainly find it...and that also holds for just about any book.

neologist

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 03:39 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
The message is therefore that our earth could be an Eden today if people stopped disobeying God...
So, has God changed his mind about his purpose for the earth?
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 03:48 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Genesis was written as a history of man, unlike revelation which was a vision. In Luke's Gospel I am sure you recall his record jesus lineage all the way to God through Adam, was that conspired?

The underlying message is about much more than Adam did a bad thing and got punished, first and foremost it is about the sovereignty of God, His original purpose for the earth, the fall of man, and his plan to restore the earth to its purpose.

Let me ask you another question. What is the Devils motivation?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 03:48 pm
Quote:
Romeo said: The message [of Eden] is therefore that our earth could be an Eden today if people stopped disobeying God...
Neologist said: So, has God changed his mind about his purpose for the earth?

I'm flattered that you should think I know the mind of God mate, but no..Smile
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord" (Isaiah 55:8)

But if you want to explain 'God's purpose for the earth' to us (according to you JW's), go ahead..Smile
neologist

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 03:50 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo wrote:
Like I said, if the NT writers want to think a talking snake was in Eden, they're free to believe it, it's none of my business..:
So when they referenced Genesis they were mistaken? What about when Jesus referred to Genesis? Maybe all that is a mistake, eh?
Romeo wrote:
As for my "suggestive" remarks, you JW fuddy-duddies have got no sense of humour and you all dress in boring clothes-
WIKI- JW Modesty in dress and grooming is frequently emphasized
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jehovah's_Witnesses

I bet your meetings are like undertakers conventions..Wink
Well, when it comes to humor, you of all people should appreciate my restraint. Laughing
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 03:56 pm
Quote:
Smileyrius said: @RF- Let me ask you another question. What is the Devils motivation?

To sabotage us, to trip us up, to hijack our minds, he's a nasty piece of work, just look at how he wound poor little Evey round his little finger.
And notice how he's poisoned some A2K'ers minds against me..Wink

Jesus was on to him- "There is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies" (John 8:42-44)
Jesus said "Satan has no hold on me" (John 14:30)

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/jesus_vs_satan.gif
neologist

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 04:00 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
I'm flattered that you should think I know the mind of God mate, but no..Smile
“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord" (Isaiah 55:8)

But if you want to explain 'God's purpose for the earth' to us (according to you JW's), go ahead..Smile
Why not let the Bible explain, Romeo? Don't be shy. Go ahead and read Isaiah 45:18 where he explains that he formed the earth to be inhabited? Or psalms 115:16 where he has given the earth to the sons of men? Do you need more? There's plenty where those came from
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 04:05 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Old Smiley is beating you to a pulp, Romeo. And he has a box over his head. Be happy he doesn't look you square in the eye. It could be another Calamity Del for you.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 04:08 pm
Quote:
Neologist said: Why not let the Bible explain, Romeo.....Isaiah 45:18 where he explains that he formed the earth to be inhabited? Or psalms 115:16 where he has given the earth to the sons of men?

So what? heaven is heaven no matter whether it's on a new physical earth or in some other dimension, who cares what form it takes?
For example a golfer once asked Billy Graham if there'll be golf courses in heaven, to which he replied "Yes if you want there to be"..Smile
neologist

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 04:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'm sorry if I seem to be ignoring you Frank. It's just that Romeo is such a juicy target. I need to get in as many licks as I can before he runs away like he has done on all the other boards.

Laughing You can always go back to one of my old posts for a new ream and clean. I always read them, you know.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 04:11 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
I was referring more specifically to his challenge on Gods authority and character.
His lies are such that people believe they are better off without God, people have come to hate God because of false teachings in religion. People cannot believe in a god that would allow the suffering on this earth, or that would torment people for eternity in a hellfire.
This is why the details are far more important than you think.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 04:13 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
So what you are saying is you did not go back and read all of Psalm 115:16?
Figured as much
0 Replies

Calamity Dal

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 04:14 pm
@neologist,
Hey don't bring me into this, I am enjoying the show though.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 04:18 pm
Quote:
Neologist said: Old Smiley is beating you to a pulp, Romeo. And he has a box over his head. Be happy he doesn't look you square in the eye. It could be another Calamity Del for you.

Nah mate, I don't pulp easy..Smile
If anybody's being pulped round here it's you at the hands of Old Nick, just look at how he's poisoned your mind into saying these things about me-
"Romeo is ignorant....possibly malicious....Fable Spinner....your drivel....your desire to deceive....a racist....suggestive"

LEARN mate-
"Thou shalt not bear false witness" (Matt 19:18 )
"Whoever spreads slander is a fool" (Proverbs 10:18 )

Careful, the naughty step....
Jesus said:- "Every careless word you speak will be judged" (Matt 12:36)

I suppose I should be flattered that Old Nick sees me as such a threat that he's using you and other stooges to hit me with your handbags..Wink
neologist

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2014 04:23 pm
@Calamity Dal,
Sorry I misspelled your name Laughing
0 Replies