neologist
 
  1  
Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 04:59 pm
@edgarblythe,
They had to learn somewhere
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 05:26 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
. . . Some of us feel that even if there is a GOD...the GOD would allow us to set our own standards rather than be a tryrannical oaf telling us what offends it...especially since the god you worship seems to be offended by nonsense.
I shun that hypothesis


I suspected you would. I dare guess that many of us suspected you would.
0 Replies
 
Olivier5
 
  1  
Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 09:17 pm
@neologist,
The bible has been around for centuries and published in billions of copies and hundreds of languages, more than any other book by far. If that hasn't solved the snake-and-apple non-issue, what makes you think your website will make a difference?

One website to save them all???
cicerone imposter
 
  1  
Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 09:27 pm
@Olivier5,
God works in strange ways.....
Olivier5
 
  1  
Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 09:52 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Some anal ways are even more impenetrable than the ways of the Lord.
Pierre Dac
0 Replies
 
RexRed
 
  1  
Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 12:29 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:
. . . Some of us feel that even if there is a GOD...the GOD would allow us to set our own standards rather than be a tryrannical oaf telling us what offends it...especially since the god you worship seems to be offended by nonsense.
I shun that hypothesis


No, you prefer a lawless one giving laws...
0 Replies
 
rtomlin
 
  0  
Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 01:56 am
@RexRed,
Let's suppose that God IS real.
The ONLY thing that would prove is that he's more powerful and wiser than humans, that's it. Everything else is speculation.

It doesn't answer the myriads of questions that follow... why are we here? why do we die? where do we go after death? why doesn't god end human suffering if he has the power? why do many other organism live hundreds of years more than humans if he really loves us? and on and on and on.

Christians will point to the bible to prove that he exists, although mankind continues to misinterpret, misrepresent and dominate man to their injury all because humans pretend they know what it says and how to interpret it. They don't and thus Religion is one of the biggest causes of wars, deaths, families being torn apart and so forth... again as we're supposing that god is real... it wouldn't be his fault but mankind trying to interpret a manmade book. (I lived through one of these so called religions thinking they knew it all).

I know what Christians will say, it produces many good qualities in many people. Yes, religion does without a doubt. My entire family considers themselves Christians and we've had countless discussions but again it all boils down to Faith. We have no proof, just faith. And no, life in itself and the stars and the moon the Universe DOESN"T in itself prove anything. I'll discuss this on the juxtaposition if god Doesn't exist in just a bit.
Religion does do one thing, it makes Christians reliant on a being that promises the things told in the Bible, so that gives piece of mind. The bible tells it's followers to go preach and teach others about God, Jesus, Apostles and so forth. This puts them in a tough position, "let me preach to you what you need to be doing or about the love of god (since you don't believe as I do)" Instant antagonism, "my belief is better than your belief because what my religion teaches is true"

My question to my sister is always, what makes you better than me? I mean really? what makes anyone who professes to be Christian better than someone who just doesn't believe? Both sin, both have good things happen in their lives, both have bad things happen, both die. Absolutely no difference. Let's put it this way as I tell my wife (who's a member of a cult) lets get a whiteboard and put my name on one side and christians on the other and count the differences, there's NONE, I sin, they sin, I die, they die, I have good things happen, they have good things happen. They simply attribute the good to God and I'm not sure what the would attribute the bad things that happen to them to, Satan maybe. They're quick to attribute the bad things in non-believers lives to the fact that they're not following Gods Word, BUT THEY DONT EITHER, if they did to a T they would be considered perfect.

Now let's suppose God DOESN"T exist. Then how life began is an even bigger mystery. FOR ME, life is way too complex to think that it just happened, the Big Bang theory, although I suppose it may have happened that way. OR maybe Smarter Beings created us. After all, the Universe is Gigantic and if there is indeed some being or beings that created us, they would have to be smarter and more advanced than us, they could be living out there somewhere. I know, I know, that has millions of other questions that again, can't be answered. But that's a possibility. One that can't be refuted, because we simply don't know.

I want to believe in the God of the Bible and I think I do believe more than not. Christians will think me blasphemous for thinking this way but IF God really exists and he indeed is loving and he indeed made me in his image, then he knows my mind, he knows my doubts, he knows I don't hate him, he knows my questions, he knows that i'm a good father, husband, brother and son. Not perfect, but again, no different than any other professing Christian. No I don't preach to others about God so as not to push my beliefs or non beliefs on anyone, because as I stated... I don't know. And quite frankly, neither does anyone else on this earth.

I think it amusing when someone posts to Facebook or elsewhere " 7 reasons (or however many reasons) that destroy the myth that god exists " or vice versa, that prove he exists. Simply put, no one knows
0 Replies
 
Romeo Fabulini
 
  0  
Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 08:05 am
Quote:
rtomlin said: Religion is one of the biggest causes of wars, deaths, families being torn apart and so forth....

Christians preach "my belief is better than your belief ".....

what makes anyone who professes to be Christian better than someone who just doesn't believe?

1- which bit of this causes wars and stuff?-
Jesus said- "Love one another, feed the hungry, house the homeless, clothe the destitute, tend the sick, visit the prisoners, look after the poor" (Mark 12:30, John 13:34, Matt 25: 37-40)

2- Only Christianity has got Jesus the Son of God in it, so OF COURSE that makes it better than all the other so-called "religions"..Smile

3- Jesus was a thoroughly nice guy, so if anybody doesn't like him there must be something wrong with them..Wink
0 Replies
 
Abigail May
 
  0  
Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 08:21 am
my mother tell me that god
Romeo Fabulini
 
  0  
Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 08:35 am
@Abigail May,
Abigail May do you like Jesus?
0 Replies
 
neologist
 
  1  
Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 09:01 am
@Olivier5,
When all has been said, we all stand alone on the "non-issue" as you call it. Either we accept God's right to set standards or not.

Some don't like God's standards. It wouldn't make sense to force them to live forever in a world where those standards prevail.
Olivier5
 
  1  
Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 09:27 am
@neologist,
Quote:
When all has been said, we all stand alone on the "non-issue" as you call it. Either we accept God's right to set standards or not.

I am curious as to how you understand that issue. It reads like God wanted humans to remain like animals, without a moral sense. Which of course is pretty absurd, if the point was to teach humans some sort of moral standard...

The real meaning therefore could be different... As all important myths, Genesis tells us something about who we are and how we became such.

We are (according to the myth) animals who stole the knowledge of gods, which is why our lives are miserable. If we had remained animals, the myth says, we'd still be in the garden of Eden, i.e. happy forever in a state of nature. The point being that it's not God's fault if we live miserable lives, it's our fault...
0 Replies
 
Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 10:34 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

When all has been said, we all stand alone on the "non-issue" as you call it. Either we accept God's right to set standards or not.

Some don't like God's standards. It wouldn't make sense to force them to live forever in a world where those standards prevail.


Actually, Neo...the question as posed is: Does God Exist?...not whether or not we accept the standards that a god that might not exist...sets.

Right?


Frank Apisa
 
  1  
Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 10:35 am
@Frank Apisa,
You do realize, Neo, that by using the standards set in the Bible...

...you may be accepting human standards...only human standards set thousands of years ago by primitive people?
MWal
 
  1  
Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 10:49 am
@Frank Apisa,
Exactly.. Forbidden knowledge, sacrificed messiah, and a global all killing flood.
0 Replies
 
LindsayCamp
 
  1  
Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 07:33 pm
@RexRed,
I just wanted to say that he does exist and those of us who have experienced his presence are living proof of his existence. I have been saved by God and have received a message to pass on the word to others of his existence. Maybe it's hard for people to believe in something they don't see, but if some of us have heard and felt his presence, than is that not sufficient proof?
Quehoniaomath
 
  1  
Reply Sat 30 Aug, 2014 11:40 pm
@LindsayCamp,
Quote:
I just wanted to say that he does exist and those of us who have experienced his presence are living proof of his existence. I have been saved by God and have received a message to pass on the word to others of his existence. Maybe it's hard for people to believe in something they don't see, but if some of us have heard and felt his presence, than is that not sufficient proof?


I am not discarding your experience. However, who or what in this case is "he"?
God, jesus, allah, what and how do you know,.
0 Replies
 
Moment-in-Time
 
  0  
Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2014 01:26 am
@LindsayCamp,
Quote:
Maybe it's hard for people to believe in something they don't see, but if some of us have heard and felt his presence, than is that not sufficient proof?


Yes, it is difficult for some of us to imagine your personal experience with God. There are some who believe fervently in an Omnipotent power because they have an urgent inner need to do so....this is the chief reason religion was invented in the first place....there was a need for it.... "Necessity being the mother of invention".....believing there was an all-powerful Creator looking after us served a psychological and emotional need in our species. Anyway, one's personal experience with what they perceive as a Deity is their journey and peculiar to them alone. I don't know what your state of mind was at the time you say you heard and felt God, but if you cannot prove it to others, your saying what you say you felt and heard simply is not enough to sway others. Man has a thinking brain, one that question and it's not enough to say have faith. The Bible, consisting of the Old and New Testament, was written by many men down through the centuries. The people who wrote the New Testament did not live during the time of Jesus. Word of Jesus' teachings has been handed down by word of mouth, and also, the NT was written 100–300 years after the death of Jesus (and we know how fickle the mind can be....an eyewitness account often vary after a few days) and translated in many languages, so we really cannot take the Bible literally, at least not word for word and a great deal of just sound practical judgment should be applied.

Quehoniaomath
 
  0  
Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2014 01:39 am
@Moment-in-Time,
Quote:
.this is the chief reason religion was invented in the first place....there was a need for it..


Nope, religions were ínvented to control the population.

For example:
Quote:
http://centeroftheheart.com/sites/default/files/imce/CM_flyerCotH.jpg


Who was Jesus?
Why is there no historic archaeological evidence of his existence?

Who wrote the Gospels?
Why were they written in Greek, rather than Hebrew or Aramaic?

How did the Christian religion come to be centered in Rome? Why were the
first Christian pope and earliest saints all members of the Flavius Caesar
ruling family?


This latest ground-breaking work in Christian scholarship reveals a new and revolutionary understanding of the origin of Christianity, explaining what is the New Testament, who is the real Jesus, and how Christ's second coming already occurred. The book Caesar's Messiah shows that Jesus was the invention of the Roman Imperial Court. Their purpose: to offer a vision of a “peaceful Messiah” who would serve as an alternative to the revolutionary leaders who were rocking first-century Israel and threatening Rome. This discovery is based on the parallels found between the Gospels and the works of the historian Josephus, which occur IN SEQUENCE.

Some readers will find this analysis disorienting. Joseph Atwill, author of Caesar's Messiah, says, “My book is in no way a criticism of the faith of contemporary Christians. I felt required to present my findings because of the light they shed on the origin and purpose both of anti-Semitism and the way that governments use propaganda to control their subjects.”

http://www.caesarsmessiah.com/


giujohn
 
  1  
Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2014 03:16 pm
@Quehoniaomath,
Since I cant be in CA. to see this, Im definately getting the DVD!
Thanks!
 

Related Topics

Another day when there is no God - Discussion by edgarblythe
Is "God" just our conscience? - Question by Groomers123
believe in god! - Question by roammer
The existence of God - Question by jwagner
Are Gods Judgments righteous? - Discussion by Smileyrius
What did God do on Day 8? - Question by HesDeltanCaptain
What do you think about world? - Question by Joona
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Does God Exist?
  3. » Page 139
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.05 seconds on 08/10/2022 at 08:40:24