mark noble

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 10:03 pm
My friend went to church yesterday, and as he was entering he noticed satan sitting on a bench nearby, hands clasped over his face and sobbing like a baby.
When he asked him why he was so upset, satan, pointing to the church, replied "They're putting the blame on me for everything wrong in this world, in there."

Then a tramp, dressed in dirty rags was turned away by the usher - God suddenly appeared and said to the tramp "Don't take their 'turning you away' to heart. You're not alone. I've been trying to get in this church for years."
0 Replies

tomr

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 10:28 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Have you forgotten who is the god of this world?
I thought you knew your Bible.
Don't blame Jehovah for the machinations of his adversary.

If J K Rowling was around 2000 years ago we would all be questioning if Harry Potter was the messiah now. What was impressive and unknowable then is not now. If the Bible is the true word of God then put one example of otherworldly wisdom in it. Would it have been so hard to write in directions on how to build an airplane or an iphone? Otherwise all you have is a book that anyone could write.

Knowing the Bible is like knowing less than nothing. (Unless Jehovah exists, then its like knowing alot and I am very sorry!!!)
neologist

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 10:39 pm
@tomr,
True.
The Bible does not explain how to build an airplane. Perhaps God gave us the intelligence to figure such things out for ourselves.
But it does explain why we were created and why we die. Have you ever experienced the death of a loved one? Would you like to see that one come back in complete health and walk the earth with you again? The Bible gives instructions for that. That is really better than an airplane or a cellphone, IMHO.
tomr

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 11:12 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
But it does explain why we were created and why we die. Have you ever experienced the death of a loved one? Would you like to see that one come back in complete health and walk the earth with you again? The Bible gives instructions for that.

But that explanation cannot be verified here on earth. It is kind of important that we know beforehand if what we give our lives to is not a false thing. Right? Because if it did turn out to be false then we just wasted alot of time and effort into a lie and got nothing in return. I, like almost everyone, have seen death and want loved ones to return. That would be really awesome. What wouldn't be awesome is if we die, we suffer and are just kind of deleted from existence. What would suck even more though would be if we all went into some kind of hell where we are tortured and repeatedly die for all eternity.

Why does what we want to happen need to actually happen? It seems just as probable to me that we all will end up in some kind of hell where we are tortured for all eternity, as it would for the biblical answer to be true. So what evidence is there to pick one case over the other, except the obvious and understandably selfish reason: It would be a lot better for us to live in heaven with our loved ones.
neologist

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 11:32 pm
@tomr,
tomr wrote:
.. . I, like almost everyone, have seen death and want loved ones to return. That would be really awesome. What wouldn't be awesome is if we die, we suffer and are just kind of deleted from existence. What would suck even more though would be if we all went into some kind of hell where we are tortured and repeatedly die for all eternity. . . .
Under the current arrangement, we die, The Bible explains, contrary to popular error, that when we die we are no longer conscious. God has promised that death will be destroyed. (References provided on request.)

The only way to discern if this is the truth is to study God's word without desire for license or hope of reward. In other words, study with an open mind.
tomr

Reply Tue 11 Jun, 2013 11:58 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
The only way to discern if this is the truth is to study God's word without desire for license or hope of reward. In other words, study with an open mind.

I will begin study immediately, in the hope that my soul enter the Kindom of Heaven. I look forward to eternity in a place where there is no sickness, death or sorrow. To know Jesus and to love him as he loves me. What a joy!!!
neologist

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 04:12 am
@tomr,
I saw from your previous posts that you answered a question on completing the square. You obviously have an analytic mind. I'll take your statements about the Bible at face value and add these observations:
You do not have a soul; you are a soul. (Genesis 2:4)
God promised Adam and Eve life on earth and has not changed his mind simply because they sinned. His purpose remains. (Isaiah 45:18)
Nominal christianity's common error of life in heaven has one huge drawback - you have to die first - a real bummer.
RexRed

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 10:51 am
@neologist,
Neo, the Bible says God formed the body, made the soul and created the spirit...

If the body was automatically the soul too then it would figure the Bible would not have used different words attributed to the inception of each.

Isaiah 43:7 KJV
Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 KJV
And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

I am not saying you are wrong or right, I am just saying your response seems superlative on an ambiguous subject.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 11:02 am
@RexRed,
Quote:
Neo, the Bible says God formed the body, made the soul and created the spirit...
The Good Book might so maintain; but there's not much scientific evidence to suggest the dualistic (or tripartite) nature of things

Quote:
…..your response seems superlative on an ambiguous subject.
According to the general principle that nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else, all speculation on the nature of things in one way or another seems ultimately superlative

The idea that the soul is everything about you except your body also falling in the category of dualism, it must include also your flesh to one extent or another
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 05:42 pm
@RexRed,
Your soul is you, Rex
Animals are souls. Nothing metaphysical about it.
RexRed

Reply Wed 12 Jun, 2013 07:26 pm
@neologist,
On the same token one could argue your spirit is you too...

2 Corinthians 3:18)
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 10:49 am
@neologist,
Quote:
… soul…..….Animals are souls. Nothing metaphysical about it.
Maybe not metaphysical but largely abstract
dalehileman

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 10:52 am
@RexRed,
Quote:
…... your spirit is you too...
One might logically so assert but wouldn't he have to define the term

For instance, for spirit to "exist," then is it necessarily a religious concept in the conventional sense
neologist

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 03:04 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Quote:
… soul…..….Animals are souls. Nothing metaphysical about it.
Maybe not metaphysical but largely abstract
Just quoting that pesky Bible:
(Genesis 1:24)" . . .Let the earth put forth living souls according to their kinds, domestic animal and moving animal and wild beast of the earth according to its kind. . . ."
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 14 Jun, 2013 03:09 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Rex wrote:
…... your spirit is you too...
One might logically so assert but wouldn't he have to define the term

For instance, for spirit to "exist," then is it necessarily a religious concept in the conventional sense
The Greek pneu′ma (spirit) comes from pne′o, meaning “breathe or blow,” and the Hebrew ru′ach (spirit) is believed to come from a root having the same meaning. Basically, they mean breath, although 'spirit' could also refer to one's vital force. When we speak of holy spirit, that seems evident, as God's spirit was at work during creation.

0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 01:32 pm
This Week in God
http://maddowblog.msnbc.com/_news/2013/06/15/18974564-this-week-in-god?lite

neologist

Reply Sat 15 Jun, 2013 09:24 pm
@RexRed,
Straw man, Rex. I didn't need to look at it. Whatever nominal christians may or may not do has no bearing on the op. This is particularly true in the light of thousands of years of the lying priesthood.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 18 Jun, 2013 11:08 pm
Here is to my view the best debate so far on the matter !
Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

RexRed

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 03:26 am
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1014322_595659053790132_1304448405_n.jpg
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 21 Jun, 2013 05:17 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I liked this post, thanks Fil Smile
0 Replies