Masturbation guilt feelings - What are they about?

Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 10:23 pm
Masturbation guilt feelings. Just Google it if you don't believe they are real.
So, are they universal? Are they learned or innate?
Are they of the same origin or substance as those associated with stealing, for example.
Should one try to overcome these feelings or be guided by them?
Does the reward of orgasm eventually still the feelings?
Are fantasies validated by repetition? What if they are of illegal acts?

gungasnake

Reply Fri 17 May, 2013 10:33 pm
@neologist,
The logic of that one is mainly of the use it or lose it type.....
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 03:21 am
@neologist,
Religion nonsenses seems to be the center of the guilt around this almost universal act of masturbation.

Quote:
What if they are of illegal acts?

Getting off while thinking of what rape, incest or whatever?

Fantasies for the most part are just that and unless it is taking over someone life or threatening to drive someone to act in an illegal and or unmoral manner for real who would care?
neologist

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 11:00 pm
I posted this because I remember conversations between associates from long ago. The year was MDCCCCLIV, or thereabouts. Laughing Some of us were of no particular religious persuasion. Yet all, after we got past the hair on the palms spoof, seemed to profess te same feeling. I may have also. I also remember a similar, less intense feeling while filching pennies from Mom's poker money to buy smokes. Just looking for input on these observations.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 11:07 pm
@neologist,
MDCCCCLIV is not a valid number.
JLNobody

Reply Sat 18 May, 2013 11:21 pm
@BillRM,
It seems to me that guilt (and to a lesser degree shame) are what made masterbation so exciting in my youth. Now that I've lost the guilt it's a bit of a bore. Mere outlet is it sole function. And for the old there is little to let out.
neologist

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 01:37 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Heck! I was never any good at numbers. Was it MCMLIV? I'm not too good with the new squiggly things, neither.
neologist

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 01:47 am
@JLNobody,
JLNobody wrote:
It seems to me that guilt (and to a lesser degree shame) are what made masterbation so exciting in my youth. Now that I've lost the guilt it's a bit of a bore. Mere outlet is it sole function. And for the old there is little to let out.
Do you mean like the adrenaline rush (and sometimes sexual rush) burglars get when breaking into a building? It's addictive like some are addicted to the thrill of dangerous sports. Just trying to get an inventory of whatever mental processes are taking place.
0 Replies

FBM

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 01:55 am
I don't know for sure whether it's learned or not, but I once saw a girl only 3~4 years old masturbate in public. I couldn't believe what I was seeing at first, but there it was. Her family was right behind her, but everyone was ignoring her. I had no idea kids masturbated that young. I didn't. Or at least I have no memory of doing so.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 05:18 am
@neologist,
The guilt of masturbation is not cross-cultural. It is part of modern western culture (with all of our sexual hangups). Most cultures in history didn't have this problem with guilt.

There are cave paintings of people masturbating from pre-history. The Kama Sutra (from India) gives instructions on the best way to masturbate. There is ancient Greek art of masturbation. Many, if not most, cultures seem to think of masturbation as a normal part of life.

Feeling guilty about masturbation is not universal. In fact, it seems like there are few cultures that have this issue.
neologist

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 07:26 am
@maxdancona,
It's true that many cultures consider masturbation acceptable. Western culture seems to be rapidly joining the group. But what of the feelings of humans on an individual basis? Cave paintings of masturbation don't necessarily reflect what may have been on the painter's mind, partularly when he/she initially began the practice, feelings which apparently diminish when the act is repeated. The reward of orgasm may be the sole reason for such diminished guilt.
BillRM

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 07:36 am
@JLNobody,
Other then irrational guilt driven by some religions what logical reason in this world of any other world is there to feel guilt over such a natural act?
BillRM

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 07:42 am
@neologist,
Quote:
The reward of orgasm may be the sole reason for such diminished guilt.

In that there is no reason in the first place to feel guilt of any kind in relationship to this act your logic is weak to say the very least.

Any guilt is culture driven by the religion elements of that culture who wish for control of the culture sexuality in all aspects.

Once more there is no inherent reason to have any guilt over this matter.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 01:07 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Heck! I was never any good at numbers. Was it MCMLIV? I'm not too good with the new squiggly things, neither.

If you mean to write 1954 (using the squiggly things), then you're right.
InfraBlue

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 01:10 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

It's true that many cultures consider masturbation acceptable. Western culture seems to be rapidly joining the group. But what of the feelings of humans on an individual basis? Cave paintings of masturbation don't necessarily reflect what may have been on the painter's mind, partularly when he/she initially began the practice, feelings which apparently diminish when the act is repeated. The reward of orgasm may be the sole reason for such diminished guilt.

You're presupposing feelings of guilt for masturbation. Why should there be guilt involved, necessarily?
chai2

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 01:45 pm
I never felt guilty about it. Even when I followed a religion.

I don't think that every time a kid touches their genitals it has to do with sexual feelings.

It can just feel good in a non-sexual way, just like rubbing your elbow or your calf, head, browbone, hand, foot etc. can just feel good. Or, you might just have an itch down there. Ya start scratching and think "wow, this feels good, just like getting a back scratch. Why don't I do this more often?"

I think that's a lot of pressure on someone to feel sexual arousal just because you're rubbing/touching a particular body part.

Nowadays I find myself doing a quick one just to relax and go to sleep. Seriously, I'll think to myself "I can't sleep, I'll masterbate and that'll relax me. Bang boom 2 minutes later I'm feeling more apt to sleep.

I don't know what the big deal is.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 02:05 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
If you mean to write 1954 (using the squiggly things), then you're right.
Doh!
Yeah!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 02:10 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
You're presupposing feelings of guilt for masturbation. Why should there be guilt involved, necessarily?
I don't mean to make a sweeping generalization, but to direct attention to the abundance of intternet references.
chai2

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 02:13 pm
@neologist,
Lemme tell ya something about internet references.

I just googled variations of "touching genitals not always masturbation" and came up with nada.

So much for the internet.

I guess when your doctor has to touch your genitals s/he is automatically doing something sexual to you.

Why do a persons genitals have to be relegated to the realm of sex only?

That is super weird.
BillRM

Reply Sun 19 May, 2013 02:43 pm
Footnote the GOP is our very own slightly funnier version of the Taliban who in some states [see Texas] had passed laws and then started arresting people for the crime of selling adult women vibrators.
0 Replies