Islamist Goals: Our Shared Islanmist Enemy

H2O MAN

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 12:52 pm
@maxdancona,
'liberal' = 'bigot'
RABEL222

Reply Mon 13 May, 2013 04:13 pm
Bigot sounds like an apt description to me.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 03:49 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Using the word bigot really doesn't address the issue of disenfranchising citizens that do not have the "correct" profile for the America many others envision, or want.

The word "bigot" is properly used to someone who wants to exclude people from American life based on their religion or ethnicity. This is true whether the targets are Jews or Muslims.

What word would you use?

"Clannish."
Foofie

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 03:51 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

'liberal' = 'bigot'

Well, in my opinion, as things tend to be today, oftentimes, "liberal" may equal (aka, "=") "self-righteous."
H2O MAN

Reply Tue 14 May, 2013 04:24 pm
@Foofie,
Yep, Maxipad is intolerant of the opinions and behavior of others.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 02:48 am
@Foofie,
It's not remotely 'clannish' to exclude certain people from mainstream society, it is, as Max has pointed out, bigotry.

The Scots, where the term clan originated, are actually very friendly and welcoming, and I say that as an Englishman.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 05:36 am
@izzythepush,
Foofie might have meant "Klannish". For people not in the US, the "Klan" is a well-known group of bigots who do, in fact, hate both Jews and Muslims.

izzythepush

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 08:24 am
@maxdancona,
I know, Gungasnake name drops them all the time.
RABEL222

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 09:11 am
@izzythepush,
In order to belong to the klan you have to not only be a bigot but know how to use a gun and a rope. Oh yes and you have to be white.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 09:14 am
@RABEL222,

I understand you (RABEL) are not only a lifetime member, but one of their recruiters... that's just sad.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 12:36 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

It's not remotely 'clannish' to exclude certain people from mainstream society, it is, as Max has pointed out, bigotry.

The Scots, where the term clan originated, are actually very friendly and welcoming, and I say that as an Englishman.

The origin of a word is extraneous to the point. Plus, you could be talking as a Brit, from a once less than very diverse society. Here in the U.S., clannishness (today more eloquently called "ethnocentricity") is the driving force behind what others might call bigotry. So, excluding other groups from this or that (i.e., clubs, etc.) is really driven by clannishness.

Here in the states, there is all manner of clannishness, based on religion, ethnic group, race, or whatever. I believe it is just based on the sum total of similar experiences for oneself, and even for one's family and anyone else.

So, many people might refer to those clannish (pick a group), rather than say, "Those bigoted (pick a group)." "Bigot" is just an inflammatory word that is divisive in our multi-cultural society. It takes more than one generation to assimilate into the fabric of U.S. society, oftentimes.

And, many do believe that many of another religion exhibit a degree of clannishness, since many social functions are sponsored by religious institutions. That's not bigotry. It's just clannishness, due to a less than cosmopolitan mindset of many, in my opinion.

And, here in the U.S., as a private citizen, I can practice a degree of clannishness by having little to do with those with foreign accents. Foreign born folk might have too much emotional baggage to really attempt to find a common ground. I prefer people that at least came here young enough to have gone to grade school in the U.S.; otherwise, they might be just pretending to be patriotic Americans, in my opinion. To have grown up in the U.S. is to have a different outlook on the world, unless of course one was brain washed by certain clannish mindsets, reflecting a religion, or whatever.

Foofie

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 12:37 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Foofie might have meant "Klannish". For people not in the US, the "Klan" is a well-known group of bigots who do, in fact, hate both Jews and Muslims.

I meant "clannish." You're giving me history. I'm giving you sociology.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 01:16 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
"Bigot" is just an inflammatory word that is divisive in our multi-cultural society.

Do you really believe this?

Bigotry has been, and still is, a real problem in this country. There are still pockets of hatred and racism (and sometimes violence) toward Jews as well as Muslims.

Are you really denying that this is true?

Getting rid of the word "bigot" doesn't get rid of the problem.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 04:03 pm
@izzythepush,
Gross mischaracterization of my comments combined with more base insults.

You really are a vile ass.

And to think I actually tried to meet up with you during my last trip to London.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 04:10 pm
@maxdancona,
Bigot is not synonymous with liberal or conservative.

It's not a word that needs to be eliminated from the lexicon.

It is a word that needs to be used far more judiciously that it is today.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 04:25 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I agree with that. However there are times when the word "bigotry" is appropriate.

Like when people, such as Advocate, post articles that accuse Jews or Muslims of some plot of world domination and accuse people belonging to the Jewish or Muslim culture as being incompatible with being a part of the American society.

Ironically, I think many of us would consider Advocate a liberal.
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 04:26 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Ironically, I think many of us would consider Advocate a liberal.

Why would you say that?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 04:29 pm
@maxdancona,
Obviously there are times when it is appropriate.

Advocate is a liberal, without question.

What you have mistakenly assumed in the past is that I defend anything he posits.

maxdancona

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 04:33 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I don't believe I have ever accused you of bigotry, Finn. And I certainly don't believe that all conservatives, or only conservatives, are bigots.

But I call 'em as I see 'em.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 15 May, 2013 07:05 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
"Bigot" is just an inflammatory word that is divisive in our multi-cultural society.

Do you really believe this?

Bigotry has been, and still is, a real problem in this country. There are still pockets of hatred and racism (and sometimes violence) toward Jews as well as Muslims.

Are you really denying that this is true?

I am not "denying" anything. Nor do I care to tell you what I "believe."

You are personalizing the post to get involved with my beliefs. That is not germane to the thread.