What's the point of Patriotism?

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:36 am
kickycan wrote:
I think I've figured out that my first post was wrong. Scrat, you have changed my mind. I think that the point of patriotism is to divide us. And that's not a bad thing.

The fact is that most people feel patriotism, and that leads me to believe that we need it. At this point, the world hasn't evolved to the point where we don't need to divide ourselves (countries, religious beliefs, race, etc.).

In fact, it's probably one of the main reasons we've survived this long. I think America has probably done more to help make the world a better place than any other modern society in such a relatively short amount of time, and that is a good thing.

Freedom is a pretty f*cking cool idea.

I reserve the right to change my mind next week and start railing about patriotism being bullshit again.

Hmm - most people feel jealousy and envy and rage and a whole host of emotions that we must deal with and, often, resist . Does this mean thay are a good thing? Unless you consider the act of resisting them is a good in itself!

Hmmm - if we have not evolved past the need to divide ourselves, is it good to be celebrating something which hinders us in this process? Ought we not rather to be observing it dispassionately, seeking to understand it, and trying to lessen its impact?

Serious question! This is what I often try to do with my own patriotic feelings - except where I view them as harmless and fun - as with the Olympics and such.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:38 am
dlowan wrote:

Craven - can you clarify "both share the root that is empathy"?

Birds of a feather flock together. On small and large scales.

Quote:
Why do you see the familial bond as becoming more necessary - just as it seems to be weakening?

One reason is because it is weakening, and IMO the continued weakening will become more and more of a societal bane.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:46 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I think Patriotism is not much different from feeling connected with your family, passionate about your highschool sports team, affection for your state, pride in your community, etc. It is the healthy human condition to need to belong, to be a part of something larger than the individual alone.

Hmmmm - yes, to a point...

Foxfyre wrote:
Patriotism is believing your country is the best place for you to be despite its shortcomings, warts, and blemishes. Patriotism is believing national values are worth defending even when that defense is paid for in blood and treasure.

Even if that country is Nazi Germany? Saddam's Iraq? Serbia attacking non_Serbs? (I always start to worry when I hear lofty rhetoric like blood and treasure....)

Foxfyre wrote:
The United States has much to commend it and much to condemn it. But only those who want to be here have to be here. We all have the right to go elsewhere any time we want. Yet only a tiny handful of citizens choose to go elsewhere while millions upon millions of people elsewhere would come here if they could. Knowing that, how bad could we be?

Those of you who hate this country, hate this government, hate who we are and what we are about, why not go find some place more to your liking? I think I'll do better just sticking around here with those others who choose to stay.

Foxfyre

What about those who decide with deep thought and commitment that there are things that could make the US much better - as those who opposed slavery, advocated women's suffrage, those who fought for civil rights etc etc did. You would rather they left? They were vilified as traitors and such in their day by many.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:47 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Craven - can you clarify "both share the root that is empathy"?

Birds of a feather flock together. On small and large scales.

Quote:
Why do you see the familial bond as becoming more necessary - just as it seems to be weakening?

One reason is because it is weakening, and IMO the continued weakening will become more and more of a societal bane.

Hmmm - yes.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 02:21 am
IronLionZion wrote:
kickycan wrote:
I think I've figured out that my first post was wrong. Scrat, you have changed my mind. I think that the point of patriotism is to divide us. And that's not a bad thing.

The fact is that most people feel patriotism, and that leads me to believe that we need it. At this point, the world hasn't evolved to the point where we don't need to divide ourselves (countries, religious beliefs, race, etc.).

In fact, it's probably one of the main reasons we've survived this long. I think America has probably done more to help make the world a better place than any other modern society in such a relatively short amount of time, and that is a good thing.

I reserve the right to change my mind next week and start railing about patriotism being bullshit again.

I hope you feel at home in the company of your fellow self-proclaimed patriots: Rush Limbaugh, Anne Coulter, etc.

Even if patriotism is a good thing, it seems society as a whole has a serious misconception about its definition.

Interesting. You assumed that because I said something good about my country that I don't acknowledge that it has done bad things. I already admitted I had (and have) a big problem with the war in Iraq, and there are a lot of other things that aren't so great either.

And then you lumped me into a group of people you don't agree with. Their opinions are not mine, so please give me a break. There's a lot of gray area there between Rush Limbaugh and Noam Chomsky.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 02:44 am
dlowan wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Hmm - most people feel jealousy and envy and rage and a whole host of emotions that we must deal with and, often, resist . Does this mean thay are a good thing? Unless you consider the act of resisting them is a good in itself!

Hmmm - if we have not evolved past the need to divide ourselves, is it good to be celebrating something which hinders us in this process? Ought we not rather to be observing it dispassionately, seeking to understand it, and trying to lessen its impact?

Serious question! This is what I often try to do with my own patriotic feelings - except where I view them as harmless and fun - as with the Olympics and such.

I never meant to imply that patriotism is a good thing, it's just a necessary evil, I think, and it has it's place. And I also think it should be phased out as a concept. But for now, we're stuck with it. And maybe we always will be, for all we know.

I personally don't have very strong patriotic feelings, I was just acknowledging that my country has done many good things, as well as some pretty crappy things, just in case anyone thought I was a one-sided, biased America-hater like Ironlion is. :wink:
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 02:46 am
kickycan wrote:
Interesting. You assumed that because I said something good about my country that I don't acknowledge that it has done bad things. I already admitted I had (and have) a big problem with the war in Iraq, and there are a lot of other things that aren't so great either.

No, I didn't.

I think its more "interesting" that you "assumed" I did.

Quote:
And then you lumped me into a group of people you don't agree with. Their opinions are not mine, so please give me a break. There's a lot of gray area there between Rush Limbaugh and Noam Chomsky.

I merely noted that the people most eagre and proud to be labelled patriots are those on the far right wring, a la Anne Coulter and Rush Limbaugh.

I noted further that, probably because of that, the word patriotism has become misconstrued as being synonymous with this group, and that that is an unfortunate misconception.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 02:55 am
LOL, KC.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:05 am
kickycan wrote:
....just in case anyone thought I was a one-sided, biased America-hater like Ironlion is. :wink:

The self proclaimed patriots don't need any help exalting the virtues of the American empire.

I like to go where I'm needed.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:06 am
IronLionZion wrote:
kickycan wrote:

No, I didn't.

I think its more "interesting" that you "assumed" I did.

What can I say? Ya got me. Sorry about that.

However,

IronLionZion wrote:
I hope you feel at home in the company of your fellow self-proclaimed patriots: Rush Limbaugh, Anne Coulter, etc.

I gotta tell ya, that sounds a lot like you lumping me in with them. I get the point you were making though, so whatever.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:08 am
kickycan wrote:
IronLionZion wrote:
]I hope you feel at home in the company of your fellow self-proclaimed patriots: Rush Limbaugh, Anne Coulter, etc.

I gotta tell ya, that sounds a lot like you lumping me in with them. I get the point you were making though, so whatever.

The sarcasm in that paragraph - which was apparently lost on you - was implied by the second paragraph. Or so I had hoped.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:08 am
IronLionZion wrote:
kickycan wrote:
....just in case anyone thought I was a one-sided, biased America-hater like Ironlion is. :wink:

The self proclaimed patriots don't need any help exalting the virtues of the American empire.

Like Batman?
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:12 am
dlowan wrote:
IronLionZion wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Like Batman?

Only better. And blacker. And without the gay (sorry) uniform.

Personally, I like to think of myself as Jesus Christ.

You see the resemblance, no?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:13 am
IronLionZion wrote:
kickycan wrote:

I was just kidding with you. Is it possible to have no feelings of patriotism at all?
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:14 am
dlowan wrote:
IronLionZion wrote:

Like Batman?

*LOL*

http://www.angelfire.com/mo/unitedcomics/images/batbunny.jpg
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:20 am
IronLionZion wrote:
kickycan wrote:
IronLionZion wrote:
]I hope you feel at home in the company of your fellow self-proclaimed patriots: Rush Limbaugh, Anne Coulter, etc.

The sarcasm in that paragraph - which was apparently lost on you - was implied by the second paragraph. Or so I had hoped.

****, I am totally not connecting with you tonight at all am I? Embarrassed Okay, sarcasm, got it. Guess I just had to get to know you a little better, heh, Jesus? Smile
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:26 am
Caprice! Good to hear from you! Haven't seen you in a while. Not since the broom closet near the A2K chatroom the other day. Did you see the A2K chatroom thread that Gus started, by the way? Laughing
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:28 am
IronLionZion wrote:
Personally, I like to think of myself as Jesus Christ.

You see the resemblance, no?[/quote]

er, no.....
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 03:30 am
kickycan wrote:
Caprice! Good to hear from you! Haven't seen you in a while. Not since the broom closet near the A2K chatroom the other day. Did you see the A2K chatroom thread that Gus started, by the way? Laughing

Hrmmmmm.... Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 04:05 am
kickycan wrote:
****, I am totally not connecting with you tonight at all am I? Embarrassed Okay, sarcasm, got it. Guess I just had to get to know you a little better, heh, Jesus? Smile

Its late. Niether one of us is communicating very well, I think
0 Replies