What's the point of Patriotism?

Scrat

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:51 am
kicky - Thanks for your continued courtesy. This really has been a cool exchange by all parties.

One thought for you, is it possible that the freedom to be detached and remain objective and consider the bigger truths is something you owe in some small part to the country in which you live? Undoubtedly there are other countries where you might have similar levels of freedom and a similar standard of living, but have you considered how many of those there are today purely by virtue of the sacrifices Americans made to fight tyranny in two world wars? Is it possible that the luxury of being able to take the freedom you have for granted is something that you would have neither here nor elsewhere if not for the existence of this country and the principles upon which it was founded. Brave men and women believed enough in those principles and felt a bond of loyalty to their country so strong that they were willing to fight and die in other lands.

How free would you be--in this country or elsewhere--if this country had not given so much to ensure that so many would remain free?

(Sorry to lay it on so thick. I'm not trying to tell you that you don't have a right to your viewpoint, I guess I just wonder if you've considered your viewpoint in light of the above.)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:08 pm
Thanks for the food for thought. I will take it into consideration.

Glad you jumped in on this thread, Scrat.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:44 pm
I think Patriotism is not much different from feeling connected with your family, passionate about your highschool sports team, affection for your state, pride in your community, etc. It is the healthy human condition to need to belong, to be a part of something larger than the individual alone.

Patriotism is believing your country is the best place for you to be despite its shortcomings, warts, and blemishes. Patriotism is believing national values are worth defending even when that defense is paid for in blood and treasure.

The United States has much to commend it and much to condemn it. But only those who want to be here have to be here. We all have the right to go elsewhere any time we want. Yet only a tiny handful of citizens choose to go elsewhere while millions upon millions of people elsewhere would come here if they could. Knowing that, how bad could we be?

Those of you who hate this country, hate this government, hate who we are and what we are about, why not go find some place more to your liking? I think I'll do better just sticking around here with those others who choose to stay.

Foxfyre
0 Replies

Scrat

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:45 pm
kickycan wrote:
Thanks for the food for thought. I will take it into consideration.

Glad you jumped in on this thread, Scrat.

Cool
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 12:51 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I think Patriotism is not much different from feeling connected with your family, passionate about your highschool sports team, affection for your state, pride in your community, etc. It is the healthy human condition to need to belong, to be a part of something larger than the individual alone.

Patriotism is believing your country is the best place for you to be despite its shortcomings, warts, and blemishes. Patriotism is believing national values are worth defending even when that defense is paid for in blood and treasure.

The United States has much to commend it and much to condemn it. But only those who want to be here have to be here. We all have the right to go elsewhere any time we want. Yet only a tiny handful of citizens choose to go elsewhere while millions upon millions of people elsewhere would come here if they could. Knowing that, how bad could we be?

Those of you who hate this country, hate this government, hate who we are and what we are about, why not go find some place more to your liking? I think I'll do better just sticking around here with those others who choose to stay.

Foxfyre

Be careful or you will be labeled a "love-it or leave-it" person. Then someone will spout off about how only a true patriot will stand tall and condemn ones country...

It's the same crappola from the same people...
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 01:12 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

That feeling was magnified within me on 9/12
Quote:

I feel extremely blessed to be an American citizen
Quote:

We could still be plenty bad. Unfortunately, under the Bush administration, this country is a very scary and bad place to be right now. I will not leave the country that I love because I disagree with the current leaderships policies. The USA is bigger than it's current leader. I will do all I can to make sure Bush is taken out of office in November and get the USA back to the respect and freedoms that it lost these past few years.
Quote:

I don't hate this country, or the government. I hate the illegal war in Iraq, the lies Bush and his administration tell the American people. If you prefer a country where dissent is not tolerated, perhaps you would find North Korea more to your liking. Dissent and opposition is what makes the USA such a great country. People like you want to take that away. Don't you understand that many men and women shed blood for that freedom and you want to take it away. How sad that you don't see the hypocracy in your words.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:00 pm
doglover wrote:
[quote="
I don't hate this country, or the government. I hate the illegal war in Iraq, the lies Bush and his administration tell the American people. If you prefer a country where dissent is not tolerated, perhaps you would find North Korea more to your liking. Dissent and opposition is what makes the USA such a great country. People like you want to take that away. Don't you understand that many men and women shed blood for that freedom and you want to take it away. How sad that you don't see the hypocracy in your words.
Good grief, what in the world did I say that would make you think I want to leave? And how in the world did you construe from my words that I want to eliminate dissent and opposition? You seem to have read a lot more into my comments than I can find there.

I happen to think we have a very good and decent administration at the helm right now and I will work as hard to keep it there as you will work to oust it. I think many trends in American society are both bad and scary, but our current government is not to blame for that.

The fact that we disagree does not make either one of us unpatriotic.

Foxfyre
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:04 pm
I warned ya...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:04 pm
McGentrix wrote:

Quote:
[quote=" Be careful or you will be labeled a "love-it or leave-it" person. Then someone will spout off about how only a true patriot will stand tall and condemn ones country...

Really? <g>

Foxfyre
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:11 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
I happen to think we have a very good and decent administration at the helm right now and I will work as hard to keep it there as you will work to oust it. I think many trends in American society are both bad and scary, but our current government is not to blame for that.

Foxfyre, You DON'T see the evilness of this administration. Maybe if you removed the blinders.....it would help. :wink:
Quote:
The fact that we disagree does not make either one of us unpatriotic.

Agreed.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:20 pm
DL, it isn't nice to not play into McGentrix' delusions! Very Happy
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:22 pm
See? Same crappola from same a.. , er, I mean users.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:25 pm
hobitbob wrote:
DL, it isn't nice to not play into McGentrix' delusions! Very Happy

This doggie is having more fun than a liberal should be allowed to have on A2K! Cool
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:40 pm
Do I see this administration as evil? No I do not. Mistakes have been made. I deplore a few of the policies and/or laws that have been implemented. I think more could be done in other areas as well. But do I believe the leaders at the helm are basically decent and trustworthy people? Yes I do. (And I had different but equally troubling issues with the previous administration as I do with this one. Most people who despise Bush were just fine with the previous administration.)

I don't agree with them, but I can understand those who believe the war in Iraq is illegal. I give them much more credibility if they had the same sentiments about those countries bombed and/or invaded by the previous administration. But though I think some are shortsighted in their viewpoint, I don't think those who oppose the war in Iraq are necessarily unpatriotic.

I simply do not feel it useful to equate error or mistakes or imprudence with evil or even lying. I do not understand the unmitigated loathing and hatred of our current president/administration. I don't understand those who choose to believe the worst about those they oppose and will parrot any nasty thing about them whether or not there is proof for whatever the accusation of the week is.
I don't understand those who will not even consider mitigating evidence or who cannot give credit where credit is due.

True patriots I think look for the good as well as the bad. Smile

Foxfyre
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:59 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Do I see this administration as evil? No I do not. Mistakes have been made. I deplore a few of the policies and/or laws that have been implemented. I think more could be done in other areas as well. But do I believe the leaders at the helm are basically decent and trustworthy people? Yes I do. (And I had different but equally troubling issues with the previous administration as I do with this one. Most people who despise Bush were just fine with the previous administration.)

I don't agree with them, but I can understand those who believe the war in Iraq is illegal. I give them much more credibility if they had the same sentiments about those countries bombed and/or invaded by the previous administration. But though I think some are shortsighted in their viewpoint, I don't think those who oppose the war in Iraq are necessarily unpatriotic.

I simply do not feel it useful to equate error or mistakes or imprudence with evil or even lying. I do not understand the unmitigated loathing and hatred of our current president/administration. I don't understand those who choose to believe the worst about those they oppose and will parrot any nasty thing about them whether or not there is proof for whatever the accusation of the week is.
I don't understand those who will not even consider mitigating evidence or who cannot give credit where credit is due.

True patriots I think look for the good as well as the bad. Smile

Foxfyre

Foxy, you are such a rarity! Very Happy
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 06:12 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

I consider an administration who would, without just provication, and without the support of allies world over, unlawfully invade another country, kill and wound thousands upon thousands of it's innocent men, women and children and destroy it's infastructure evil. Yes I would. I despise Bush and I couldn't stand Bill Clinton. At least his lies about getting blowjobs never cost anyone, soldier or civilian their life. As I look back on it, what married man in his right mind wouldn't lie about getting a blowjob from a woman who wasn't his wife.
Quote:

Thanks.
Quote:

Bush has done far worse than make a simple mistake(s). Tell that to the parents/spouses/children of soldiers killed in Iraq. It's not that I choose to believe the worst about Bush & Co, I can't ignore the facts....and the facts are Rumsfeld, Wolfowicz, Bremmer, Powell are all incompetent boobs. We went to war in Iraq without thinking it through to the end. I will give Bush credit for going into Afghanastan. Taking out the Taliban and looking for OBL was the right thing to do. Bush messed up when he dropped the ball and changed the focus from OBL to Saddam.
Quote:
True patriots I think look for the good as well as the bad.
Smile
Thanks again.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 06:23 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

Foxfyre

Thinking that patriotism is pointless in no way means I hate this country or where I live. I'm perfectly content where I am.

Also, we are not all perfectly free to up and leave the country. There's this thing called money. Maybe you haven't heard about it. You need it to live. Or even travel vry effectively. Bill Gates is free to leave the country. I am not.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 06:44 pm
I'm happy that you are perfectly content where you are. Most people aren't. But money isn't all that much of a problem. I live in a border state where midnight immigration is quite common and many who come have no more than the clothes they wear. It's all a matter of priority. Give up your car, half your wardrobe, movies, dinners out, beer, etc. and save up for a few weeks and you can afford a plane ticket to anywhere. Admittedly you probably won't be too welcome in any place you would like to be.

The real point is, however, is that the United States does not have to fence the people in to keep them here and it doesn't. That's one of the reasons I find to be patriotic.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 06:53 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
The real point is, however, is that the United States does not have to fence the people in to keep them here and it doesn't. That's one of the reasons I find to be patriotic.

I agree with you Foxfyre. Forced allegience is never a good thing. It tends to harbor resentment.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 03:34 am
Quote:
Doglover writes: "Bush has done far worse than make a simple mistake(s). Tell that to the parents/spouses/children of soldiers killed in Iraq."

I know and have talked to people who have lost loved ones in Iraq. I have talked to military returning home from Iraq. Not one feels their loved one died in an illegal war. Not one soldier feels their efforts over there were wrong or useless even among those who hated being there.

I wish the WMD that we were looking for had been all over the place when we went in. Both Republicans and Democrats believed they were there. I have not given up that they will be found somewhere. But regardless, the unfiltered news coming out of Iraq is that it is a far better place than it was before we went. We have done a good thing there. We are no longer fighting Iraqis but we are fighting those who do not wish for us to succeed. I would hope that we do not cut and run now just because what we are doing is expensive, hard, or scary.

Foxfyre
0 Replies