What's the point of Patriotism?

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:00 am
AFTERTHOUGHT:

I have no problem with a loyal opposition who have the best interests of the country at heart.

But I judge as non-patriots those who delight in the failure of our elected leaders and who overtly or secretly want them to fail. These are the ones I wish would just go somewhere else.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:07 am
"Also, we are not all perfectly free to up and leave the country. There's this thing called money. Maybe you haven't heard about it. You need it to live. Or even travel vry effectively. Bill Gates is free to leave the country. I am not." Laughing
Quit trying to be sensible, SCoates! We're talking patriotism! Twisted Evil

I agree with you. You're keepin it real!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 07:15 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
AFTERTHOUGHT:

I have no problem with a loyal opposition who have the best interests of the country at heart.

But I judge as non-patriots those who delight in the failure of our elected leaders and who overtly or secretly want them to fail. These are the ones I wish would just go somewhere else.

Foxfyre
But is that all instances? There's no question that a very large contingent of people wished to see Clinton fail, and they worked quite diligently to that end.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 07:32 pm
That's different, of course. They were patriots because they wanted to see Clinton fail. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 07:44 pm
Blatham asks:
"
Quote:
Foxfyre
But is that all instances? There's no question that a very large contingent of people wished to see Clinton fail, and they worked quite diligently to that end.

Yes, I believe anyone who puts politics ahead of what is best for the country is no patriot. There was much to criticize the Clinton administration for and he was sharply criticized, but no true patriot wished for him to fail in his duties.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 08:07 pm
Tell that to all the "official patriots" like Coulter, Limbaugh, O'Reilly, etc...
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 08:16 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

I would say that the number of people who would delight in the failure of our elected leaders is extremely small and describes no one that posts on A2K that I've seen in the short time I've been posting on this board.

hobitbob...don't forget Bill Kristol and Sean Hannity.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 08:18 pm
Hmmm............?
"Brave men and women believed enough in those principles and felt a bond of loyalty to their country so strong that they were willing to fight and die in other lands."

I am sure many did and do believe in those principals but were the many wars really about "those principals"?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 08:25 pm
I don't wish to see the current administration "fail," not in its constitutionally sworn duty to "preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States." However, i do hope they fail in their effort to flim-flam the public with their Medicare prescription drug program, the most salient feature of which is a billion-dollar giveaway to HMO's; i do hope they fail in their "no millionaires left behind" program to make the irresponsible and larcenous tax cut permanent; i do hope they fail in their attempt to foist the biggest "unfunded mandate" in our history on the nation's school districts with their alleged education program; i do hope they fail in their attempts to "thin the nation's forest" (Bush quote).

Get real--opposing what one reasonably considers to be irresponsible or harmful policy initiatives is not the expression of a desire to see an administration "fail." Using such language is a rather simple-minded attempt to equate a particular agenda with patriotism, and to tar anyone opposed to the agenda with the brush of treason.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 08:25 pm
Quote:
fail in his duties.

Those are key words. In a general or ideal sense, I completely agree. And it is an unfortunate fact that we do see partisan hunger for power trumping effective governance.

Yet, it is not so simple. Where you or I might hold the conviction that an administration is acting in a manner which will likely lead to destructive consequences, what are we to do? Certainly, some people held that the clinton administration was such a beast. And I, presently, hold that the Bush administration is such a beast. If an administration member resigns on a point of important principle and speaks out publicly against the sitting administration, is this wrong?
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 08:52 pm
Principles?
Let us talk about those Principles.

Because I am a gentleman you can go first. Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:18 pm
punkt
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 10:30 pm
Quote:
Tell that to all the "official patriots" like Coulter, Limbaugh, O'Reilly, etc...

To the best of my knowledge, Coulter, Limbaugh, O'Reilly etc. have zero power and I have heard them predict that a given political personality would or had failed, but I have never heard one of them wish that a personality would fail.

To address a more thoughtful question though, is it proper for an administrative official to speak out against the administration when that official believes wrong has been done. I do not think that improper. The key of course is whether the person believes in his words or whether he has been bought off or is trying to sell a book in which case he would be self serving and no patriot of any kind. We have opposing statements about that in one case and we do not yet know which way it will come down.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 11:48 pm
Quote:
The key of course is whether the person believes in his words or whether he has been bought off or is trying to sell a book in which case he would be self serving and no patriot of any kind. We have opposing statements about that in one case and we do not yet know which way it will come down.

Well, there's your mistake. You obviously allude to Richard Clarke. But you ought to be entirely capable of establishing the man's veracity for yourself without recourse to the opinions of others. In fact, it is really your duty to yourself, and as a citizen to do so.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 27 Mar, 2004 11:50 pm
I think I've figured out that my first post was wrong. Scrat, you have changed my mind. I think that the point of patriotism is to divide us. And that's not a bad thing.

The fact is that most people feel patriotism, and that leads me to believe that we need it. At this point, the world hasn't evolved to the point where we don't need to divide ourselves (countries, religious beliefs, race, etc.).

In fact, it's probably one of the main reasons we've survived this long. I think America has probably done more to help make the world a better place than any other modern society in such a relatively short amount of time, and that is a good thing.

Freedom is a pretty f*cking cool idea.

I reserve the right to change my mind next week and start railing about patriotism being bullshit again.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 12:40 am
kickycan wrote:
I think I've figured out that my first post was wrong. Scrat, you have changed my mind. I think that the point of patriotism is to divide us. And that's not a bad thing.

The fact is that most people feel patriotism, and that leads me to believe that we need it. At this point, the world hasn't evolved to the point where we don't need to divide ourselves (countries, religious beliefs, race, etc.).

In fact, it's probably one of the main reasons we've survived this long. I think America has probably done more to help make the world a better place than any other modern society in such a relatively short amount of time, and that is a good thing.

Freedom is a pretty f*cking cool idea.

I reserve the right to change my mind next week and start railing about patriotism being bullshit again.

I hope you feel at home in the company of your fellow self-proclaimed patriots: Rush Limbaugh, Anne Coulter, etc.

Even if patriotism is a good thing, it seems society as a whole has a serious misconception about its definition.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:18 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Love of family and such is an survival mechanism just like patriotism is. Solidarity is a survival mechanism.

Patriotism springs from the same tribalism that does our alleatory familial bonds. Proximity and empathy forging solidarity are very basic survival mechanisms. Patriotism and familial bonds are similar in this respect even if the scope of both are very different.

I happen to think that they are very different in terms of need, and that civilization has evolved to a point where nationalism and patriotism is mainly useful only for economic warfare but Scrat's spot on to compare it to love for family.

It's comparable in both good and bad ways. Both are a form of solidarity that is a survival mechanism. Both are partially instinctual and mindless.

Both have needs rooted in collective survival.

Both share the root that is empathy.

I think that in modern society we are evolving past the need for patriotism (though I see familial bond as becoming more necessary) but the comparison is spot on.

It's not the same thing, but definitely related.

Craven - can you clarify "both share the root that is empathy"? I understand the words, of course, but I am finding it difficult to understand the import.

Why do you see the familial bond as becoming more necessary - just as it seems to be weakening?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:22 am
Adrian wrote:
Quote:
Patriotism is bullshit. Why should anyone feel love or devotion to a country just because their parents happened to have f*cked there? I think patriotism is just another act of blind faith that is used by people in power to control the sheep-like masses.

Scrat, I wouldn't call that a "rational point of view". I would call it a rant.

Kicky, Is there ANYTHING other than yourself that you DO feel love and devotion towards?

Adrian - I am quite puzzled as to why you would ask this question.

I, for instance - despite FEELING and acknowledging the pull of patriotism - regard it as mainly an anachronistic, vestigial thing - like the human tail, worthy of little regard, though perfectly useful in its time and place - yet I have regard, and even love and devotion, for many things other than myself. Why would you assume that Kicky has none?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:29 am
kickycan wrote:
Okay, I was going to argue the point that Scrat made, and it could be argued, but I'd rather just try to make my point about patriotism in a different way, to show what I mean.

By the way, that line about being patriotic just because your parents f*cked there was from a comedian named Bill Hicks that nobody on here has probably ever heard of, and when I was writing that original post, it came to me and I couldn't resist using it.

My point was that patriotism does not allow clarity of vision and objectivity, and because of that, it is not only unnecessary, it is a detriment, and not a benefit.

For example, when the U.S. was starting the war with Iraq, everything logical in me said that the reasons were a lie, and it was not the right thing to do. When they went in and started the war, I avoided all news about it for about a week, because I was so conflicted about it. I didn't want to hear it. Why was I conflicted? Because I did not want to believe that my country was doing something like this. Why did I not want to believe it? Because of patriotism. And patriotism is what allowed this war to happen. If the citizens of this country could have looked at the situation with an objective eye, maybe there would have been ten times the number of protesters at the time, and the outcry could have possibly even forced our government to find another way to approach the situation in Iraq.

That is how patriotism is bullshit.

I think this is a very interesting post. I am well aware of such struggles in myself - I find it difficult when I must fully confront the evil that my country does and has done - I want it to be less than it is, I become ill-tempered and defensive when people stick my nose in it - it takes self-discipline and control to try to face it non-defensively and calmly and graciously - the same is true of the ill doing and stupid thinking of any group I identify with. Hmmm - perhaps this is part of what Craven meant by referring to empathy, this taking on of emotional ownership of the actions/thoughts of a group with which you identify - as well as being more able to accept criticism (SOMETIMES) from within than from without?

I have said earlier that the only good I can see of patriotic feelings is to want to help make better, and leave better, that with which you identify - yetthis must struggle always with the emotional desire to hold it as faultless in the first place....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 28 Mar, 2004 01:31 am
Scrat wrote:
kickycan wrote:
My point was that patriotism does not allow clarity of vision and objectivity, and because of that, it is not only unnecessary, it is a detriment, and not a benefit.

First, I love Bill Hicks. Cool

Second, I have to go back to my analogy again, because I still think it works. Your argument--to me--amounts to suggesting that if a criminal were pointing a gun towards my father and a stranger standing beside my father, that my preference towards shielding my father from harm rather than a stranger is "not only unnecessary, it is a detriment, and not a benefit". My father is not a perfect man, but he deserves my fealty, perhaps slightly more than he has earned it. That doesn't mean I support him when he is wrong or turn a blind eye when he does something bad, but it means I support his successes and share his failures with the hope that they will be few and far between.

And yes, my feelings towards my country are very much like that.

Hmmm - what if your father is a bad, brutal and evil-doing man?

But the illustration is, in my view, over-done - what we are most often dealing with is not a gun, but a criticism.
0 Replies