Depression

bookbrain5

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 06:32 pm
but if I spoke to a councler, i don't know where to start. how could i open?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 06:42 pm
Don't worry about it. Conversation will just happen.
0 Replies

mylin1960

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2004 04:52 am
My counselor was the only person who really understood me and had faith in me. Even when I didn't. THere was NO WAY I could talk to my parents. They were never there anyway. They were always working. I don't even remember having a real conversation with them. As I aged and my mother aged,she was more open to things than I thought. She was really understanding and I'm proud that she never judged me. Just till this last December of 2003, I was still going to her when I needed someone to talk to. I lost her,she passed away. I miss her very much.
I never thought I could get close to my family. Since the death of mom I feel it's brought the family closer. We don't want to waste time on things that really aren't important, and we were made aware of how to enjoy the time we do have together. How ever long that will be.
Your counselor will know how to begin bookbrain. Good luck on your decision. We're here for you,all the way!
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Thu 8 Apr, 2004 07:13 pm
thanx for your support guys. Imma try to get an appointment w/my councler next week.
0 Replies

mylin1960

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:11 am
Great bookbrain!
That's wonderful news. We're here for you all the way. Don't forget about us. Keep us posted how you're doing. Good Luck!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 9 Apr, 2004 05:54 am
Good news bookbrain, glad to hear you are pursuing it. My story, regarding my first therapy session was sort of like this....I had planned in my head all the things I was going to say, and even went so far as to anticipate possible answers. Well, once I got there, and relaxed into the environment, I couldn't remember a thing, and just started talking....weird, but it happened, and it was a good thing.
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Tue 13 Apr, 2004 05:00 pm
So I went to see my councler today. Told her bit about my problems, we talked a bit about what I might want to do to try to resolve this. She recomended I see the school 'theripist.' She's going to take me out of class tomorrow and we'll talk. I'll post after school tomorrow and state what was said.
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Wed 14 Apr, 2004 03:21 pm
I spoke to the guidance councler today. Tommorrow i'm taking an assesment to see if i really have a true depression problem or if I'm expirencing unusual amounts of stress.
0 Replies

mylin1960

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 05:29 am
assesment
How's it going Bookbrain?
Hope all is well with you. I'm just starting to come alive again with the beautiful warm weather we're having.
I haven't been keeping up with the posts and I'm sorry I haven't checked to see how you're doing.
What was the results of the assesment? How can they tell if it's a clinical depression or due to excess amounts of stress? Did they share that with you?
I have general anxiety disorder and have had it just about all my life. It's horrible and it feels like it can swallow you up whole. The body starts shutting down in ways. It almost seemed like my body was aging quicker too.
They say it's not considered a mental illness but it's a physical illness. I think both go hand in hand. The mind is the body. It affects the central nervous system, the heart, etc.
The fight or flight response seems to kick in high gear all the time which you have these chemicals running through your body when it shouldn't be. It can cause overload. Worrying becomes over exagurated, it seems like there's no way out from a situation and that it's not going to get better.
The person starts to feel horrible all the time and you think there's a real illness going on in the body. Little things become BIG things. All the little aches and pains are felt.
This is what can happen to a person if it;s left untreated. One doesn't even know they have it. Until a dr. diagnoses it. Usually the patient is running in and out of dr.s' offices for as long as half a yr. before they determine what it is.
Our brains are a powerful thing. Something so small to have so much influence on our bodies. It's really spectacular. The body is spectacular. Just the way everything comes together and works in perfect harmony is an amazing thing in itself. The way our cells rejuvinate, etc.
I really hope they've been able to help you and that you start to feel better Bookbrain. I know the agony of it all and that's why I feel I should share these things with you. Maybe it'll help you while you're still young so your life isn't delayed from getting the full joy out of life. Now is the time to enjoy. Why have it wasted on something that's making you feel terrible when it could be helped?
Hope your day goes well.
Have to go to work now.
Sincerely,
Linda S.
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 12:23 pm
The assesment thing was just a check list, one completed it clumps together the checks to see where the problem could lie. The results point to a depression-like problem. For something farther I have to see someone out side of school. B/c of my results my parents were called. And so they know... I don't know how to feel about it. My mom seems to be trying to start converstions with me, I don't know why she's not taking the hint that I don't wanna really talk about it right now... I mean I do, but not to her; she's being pushey in trying to get me to talk. I hate it. But the councler sent a list home of my results and a list of people in the area that i could see. The subject of me seeing someone hasn't some up, though I haven't been home all weekend. I'm kinda dreading it comming up. I wanna get this done and over with, but I don't actually want to have to talk to my parents....
0 Replies

iceman71

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 01:55 pm
BOOKBRAIN WHEN I WAS YOUNGER I USED TO GET DEPRESSED FOR NO REASON.I DIDNT KNOW WHERE TO TURN BUT I CAME THROUGH THE DARK TUNNEL .NOW I AM HAPPILY MARRIED 32 YEAR OLD WITH 2 LOVELY KIDS.DONT GIVE UP ON LIFE,LIFE IS A LONG JOURNEY IF YOU GIVE UP YOU WILL NEVER KNOW WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN.
TAKE ONE DAY AT A TIME.A GOOD IDEA IS TO KEEP A DIARY AND PUT IN ALL THE FEELINGS YOU HAVE.
LOOKING BACK YOU CAN SEE WHERE THING ARE BAD/GOOD.
DO NOT BE SCARED OF SEEING SOMEONE,DEPRESSION IS AN ILLNESS MILLIONS OF PEOPLE SUFFER FROM IT AND IT IS GOOD THAT YOU CAN TALK TO PEOPLE ON HERE,IT WILL HELP BECAUSE PEOPLE DO CARE EVEN THOUGH WE DONT KNOW EACH OTHER,TALKING IT OVER WITH ANONYMOUS PEOPLE REALLY CAN HELP.
GOOD LUCK IN LIFE
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 04:27 pm
Thanx iceman.
0 Replies

iceman71

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2004 11:29 pm
youre more than welcome bookbrain,look after yourself
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 09:06 am
I will.
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Tue 20 Apr, 2004 07:05 pm
O.K. so yesterday my mom approached me about it all. We talked, went through the checklist thing, and she made an appointment w/a councler outside of school. The appointment is for next month. I don't know how it's going to go, just talking to a neutural adult has been helpfull.
0 Replies

mylin1960

Reply Wed 21 Apr, 2004 05:05 am
That's great news Bookbrain!
Good Luck with everything. I'll be thinking about you.
Sincerely,
Linda S.
0 Replies

sand5699

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2004 11:12 pm
hey Bookbrain...its been a while since you've posted, i hope things are going good for you. And i just wish i had the guts that you did. You are taking the time to take care of yourself and thats just great!! please keep up with it!!
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 02:27 pm
thanx for your support. im going to see a social worker after school on tuesday.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 07:33 pm
bookbrain - I've just been reading this thread and I want to 'throw my hat into the ring' with everyone else to support you. You've gotten a lot of good advice and it's really awesome that you've taken the first steps to get help. I have, and still do, deal with depression. I won't go into my whole story, but I just wanted you to know that I, and lots of people like me can relate to you. You're not alone!Keep us posted, will you?
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Wed 5 May, 2004 05:50 pm
yesterday I saw the social worker. she wants me to see a shrink to see if i might need meds. right now she's guessing that i might a form of mild depression (i think she said dystymic disorder or something like that). i dont know when i'm going, but i will update after i see the doc.
0 Replies