Depression

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 03:32 pm
What are a couple of way to deal with depression? My b/f is getting very worried about me and I don't want him to worry. I feel as if I might slip and start some sort of substance abuse. But I don't want to do anything that could harm myself or others. Is there somthing I could try? Something hopefully simple.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,425 • Replies: 109
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 03:41 pm
bookbrain5- Welcome to A2K? Very Happy

What exactly is happening that is causing your boyfriend to worry?
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 05:43 pm
Re: Depression
bookbrain5 wrote:
What are a couple of way to deal with depression? My b/f is getting very worried about me and I don't want him to worry. I feel as if I might slip and start some sort of substance abuse. But I don't want to do anything that could harm myself or others. Is there somthing I could try? Something hopefully simple.

Simple? See a doctor pronto. Depression is a physical problem as well as mental. There are meds to help bring the chemical imbalances back in check.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sun 21 Mar, 2004 07:14 pm
Re: Depression
bookbrain5 wrote:

Camille is right, bookbrain5. See your doctor as soon as possible for a check up and blood test. Your problem might be something as simple as your blood sugar being out of whack, or hormones out of balance.

Could some outside source be causing you to feel depressed? Have you recently lost a job? Did someone close to you die? Family member, friend or pet? Have you moved recently?

Any of these things could lead to depression. You are fortunate that your boyfriend is concerned about you. Ask him if he will go with you to your doctor appointment. His moral support will help you tremendously.

Take care bookbrain and let us know how you are doing.
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 05:56 pm
I have been thinking that it could be stress, but I can't be sure. My parents are giving me alot of pressure to keep my grades up, I have been putting pressures on myself to make my granndparents proud of me (give them bragging rights), projects and research papers have been making my life hell, at one point I've thought about suicide. There are times I just feel like crying without a reason. It could be that I'm now in highschool and its very different from Jr. high. I don't really want to go to a doctor about it, cuz then he'd have to tell my parents and I don't want them to worry anymore than I want my bf to worry.
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 06:02 pm
bookbrain5 wrote:
I have been thinking that it could be stress, but I can't be sure. My parents are giving me alot of pressure to keep my grades up, I have been putting pressures on myself to make my granndparents proud of me (give them bragging rights), projects and research papers have been making my life hell, at one point I've thought about suicide. There are times I just feel like crying without a reason. It could be that I'm now in highschool and its very different from Jr. high. I don't really want to go to a doctor about it, cuz then he'd have to tell my parents and I don't want them to worry anymore than I want my bf to worry.

Who would have to tell your parents? A therapist/counselor doesn't do that.

Sounds like you are overwhelmed with a lot on your plate, but thinking about suicide is not a normal part of stress. You have a lot of signs of depression.
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 07:20 pm
Since I'm still a minor I pretty sure that a doctor would have to tell my parents if I were depressed and have seen him about it.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 08:57 pm
bookbrain5 wrote:
Since I'm still a minor I pretty sure that a doctor would have to tell my parents if I were depressed and have seen him about it.

I remember my first year in high school, and you're right bookbrain. It is such a hard time in your life both academically, socially and your body/hormones are wacky at that age. Have you talked to your school counselor yet? He/she could give you advice about the privacy issue with your doctor. Also, the counselor may help you talk to your parents about the stress you are under, the depression you are feeling and the suicidal thoughts you have had.

Please give your parents the benefit of understanding that you need help. They may be more understanding than you think.

Believe me, your grandparents love you just the way you are. Don't feel obligated to 'give them bragging rights'. I'm sure they would much rather see you happy then overworked, stressed out and feeling like you do.
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:02 pm
thanx
0 Replies

Camille

Reply Tue 23 Mar, 2004 09:08 pm
bookbrain5 wrote:

Could be, but you show more maturity by seeking help rather than hiding.
I think your family would be very proud of you for recognizing you have a problem and would support you. The therapist wouldn't have to tell them anything you talk about.

It sounds like you have a lot of pride, and that's a good thing, but don't let pride get in the way of the answers.

BTW, don't be afraid to tell them about your suicidal thoughts. Lots of people have them on occassion.
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 06:22 pm
I'll try to remember that.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Wed 24 Mar, 2004 08:23 pm
bookbrain5, don't be so hard on yourself. Are you keeping up your grades? If so, why are your parents pressing? If you are keeping up your grades, good for you, but that would be for yourself, and I'm sure your grandparents will love you, whatever.

You might tell your parents what's been suggested here, but also that they are stressing you maybe needlessly. You could talk to your grandparents, too.
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:17 am
THe problem is I've never been able to talk to my parents about anything. I never officially told them about my last bf, and the only reason they know about my current bf is bc he's been over a few times. It's come to the point that I can barely talk to my mother with out wanting to yell, we rarely speak with out arguing. I don't know how to tell them anything.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:24 am
bookbrain5 wrote:
THe problem is I've never been able to talk to my parents about anything. I never officially told them about my last bf, and the only reason they know about my current bf is bc he's been over a few times. It's come to the point that I can barely talk to my mother with out wanting to yell, we rarely speak with out arguing. I don't know how to tell them anything.

You need some to mediate your discussions with your parents, bookbrain. Yelling and arguing isn't going to accomplish a thing. It's only going to make matters worse.

BTW ~ It's 10:20 in the morning. What are you doing posting on A2K. Shouldn't you be in school? Confused
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:29 am
doglover wrote:

BTW ~ It's 10:20 in the morning. What are you doing posting on A2K. Shouldn't you be in school? Confused

I am at school, they're giving us lab time to do some 'research'.

I don't know who I could get to mediate a convo w/my parents. And I don't know what I would say w/o it getting twisted in how I say it. I've never been one to talk to ne one, and lately ranting on xanga hasn't helped much either. I'm getting lost in where to turn.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:42 am
Hey bookbrain....do you also go by the name of Fred? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 09:43 am
It hurts more than ever...
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Thu 25 Mar, 2004 03:57 pm
No. Fred was just the name of my invisible friend when I was younger.
0 Replies

Tex-Star

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 10:52 am
Bookbrain, you are not the first kid with such parents. They have problems, not you. So, speak with your school counselor about these feelings your parents are creating in you. Tell it to everybody, shout it to the rooftops. Don't keep silent, but get this poison out of yourself. You might be surprised that your parents are not aware of their negative influence. Maybe they think you are terrific. You probably are.
0 Replies

bookbrain5

Reply Fri 26 Mar, 2004 02:48 pm
Thanx.
0 Replies