Why do you think so many discussions on A2K end up...

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 04:00 pm
...in a variation of "my cock is bigger than your cock?"

We are a small community...the few regulars post almost every day.

Why do you think we can't all just get along?

What the hell is going on here?

Is our conduct an accurate picture of our society at large?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 22 • Views: 10,895 • Replies: 146

farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 04:08 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I smile. I recall the day when you were one of the chief berserkers in the numerous "Big Dick" interactions.

I have to say that you are a much more interesting guy in your new skin. I still get all po'd at the styles of some posters who seem to puposely go forward to bait others,or those whose world views are so off center that its almost not worth responding. (BUT what fun would that be?)
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 04:13 pm
You said that . . .
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 04:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
As certain members age within the community, they lose testosterone at a rate of about 1% per year. Classic case of overcompensation.

Me, OTOH, use AndroGel.
farmerman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 04:19 pm
@Ragman,
Where do you apply it?
dalehileman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 04:19 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
...in a variation of "my cock is bigger than your cock?"
Remarkably, my observation too

Quote:
Very few I note, disappointing isn't it

Quote:
Yes some of us seem terribly angry at all times about nearly everything, attack pretty nearly any posting no matter how innocent

Quote:
What the hell is going on here? Is our conduct an accurate picture of our society at large?
I've asked myself that. I'm guessing the typical participant is drawn to it by the anonymity, the fellow who feels powerless in his everyday life, can find something about which to be indignant in practically any thread

In this respect the most remarkable aspect of the trend is the liberality of our own a2k Mod. At almost every other site I've visited the Admin type even more strongly drawn to opportunity for power, reading each and every posting, criticizing it for the slightest supposed fault. Such a sense of power he gains from unilaterally banning the participant for a statement that our a2k Mods pass without comment
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 04:21 pm
@farmerman,
Applied to my monitor.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 04:36 pm
Quote:
I still get all po'd at the styles of some posters who seem to puposely go forward to bait others

It's called sadomasochism, fm. It's a way of life for so many. But at least when practiced on the internet, it may save a few face to face relationships. An exchange of ideas, complete with respectful disagreement would certainly be preferable. But the trolls will always be with us. Trolls = addictive sadomasochists.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 04:41 pm
@Lola,
Lola, excellent, well put

Though I kind of resent, as an amateur troll, being called a sadomasochist

Actually I'd prefer to think of myself as an apprentice
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 04:51 pm
I only go for such contention on a short term basis before bowing out. I don't get anything out of arguing with trolls and such.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 05:07 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Probably, yes. Unfortunately.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 05:09 pm
thanks everyone so far. I'm gonna stay out of the discussion for a bit...just to see what anyone who wants to comment will say.
Ragman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 05:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Oh sure: stir up the troops then chicken out!
0 Replies

JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 05:40 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It’s not only here but also most message boards. I use to be a member on a few. People can hide behind their keyboards and bully others. I believe this is why facebook has become so popular, you can choose who you want to subscribe to and befriend and ignore others or simply delete them entirely.
0 Replies

Sharkey

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 07:10 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
As certain members age within the community, they lose testosterone at a rate of about 1% per year. Classic case of overcompensation.

What about them over there with cockpits?
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 07:50 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I think it's an accurate reflection of online society. People bully, rant, and act like jerks without anyone knowing who they are. I have my doubts that these same people behave the same way when they're meeting people face to face. I could be wrong.

I play online poker. Men start insulting each other. Calling each other names. This macho pissing contest is annoying. I've been called a bitch. Why? I won a hand. My avatar was insulted for being out of date looking. ?????

Would these people behave this way facing each other across an actual poker table ? Don't know.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 07:53 pm
@Roberta,
Roberta I think I love you
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 09:14 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Not all threads are adversarial. Some turn in to chat rooms on some sort of delay mode. However, there is a group of posters that seem to post with every effort to explain his/her thinking. But, many are wedded to ideologies, and will not change their viewpoint, even on peripheral points, in my opinion.

Many threads might be analogous to many an intermediate school yard before lunch period is over?

0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 03:41 am
@Frank Apisa,
able2know is an American forum, and I am not in any forum from another country or continent.
The Americans I know in real life are as a rule never rude. OK I have run into rud Americans, but not people I know. I would guess it is the anonymity of the Internet. I have lived in USA and still have close contacts.
Otherwise I only deal with people over the Internet either purely buisiness or as friends and relatives. I have connections in northern Europe and in reality people do not behave as here.
Bullies are everywhere, but I am sure much more on Internet forums than in real life.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 02:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I think it depends on which niche/s you post in

some parts of A2K are notably calmer than others

if you mostly hang around in threads with predominately errrr mature pale men, there seems to be more grumbling and fussing and feuding than in some other zones

(there are more "few regulars" than you probably realize - you just don't hang with them)
0 Replies