Why do you think so many discussions on A2K end up...

MattDavis

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:30 am
@dlowan,
Ice Demon,
You may need this:
http://adamant.typepad.com/scientific_republican/images/2008/04/27/holy_hand_grenade_of_antioch.jpg
dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:32 am
@MattDavis,
We ALL need that.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:33 am
@Ice Demon,
Ice Demon wrote:

Trolling culture has become increasingly mainstream. Try as you might, there is no way you can ignore trolls. If you can't beat them, join them or disconnect from the internet. And this discussion on trolls is relevant to the OT, so I don't know what you're rambling about. As to the part on mental health, I had no part in initiating it (or did I?), and was a natural extension of conversation between members without trollish intent.

Only mainstream for the verklempte trolls.
MattDavis

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:39 am
@dlowan,
SNL Coffee Talk wrote:
He just has a bit of the genecktecessoink. No big whoop. Go on.
0 Replies

Ice Demon

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 04:52 am
@hawkeye10,
Actually this behavior (the subtle art of trolling rather than flamers) is favored by mainstream media sites. Trolls bring attention to topics discussed, which otherwise would be ignored or be not given any interest by the average viewers or newcomers.
It's not just an online activity in 4chan or reddit, or even by the group anonymous anymore. Now it's hedge fund analysts, political consultants, and even a lot of journalists. They really don't bother with fact checking as greatly in the past and purely looking to produce sensation stories to provoke a reaction.
And yes, verbal harassment can sometimes be classified as trolling, but for the most part, it is 100% ignorable. If you decide to listen to it, get upset and rage, that's your fault. It's a thin line between making jokes and harassment with the trolling phenomenon. I personally don't like to cross the line. I think the mainstream of this phenomenon has to do with the fact that as a more intelligent, well informed society, the majority of people can juggle reality and sadistic fantasies quite well - and with the support of what free speech protects in the end, more power to anyone who wants to create, view and acknowledge any form of opinions, real or fake.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 05:51 am
"Suddenly, a titter ran thru the room", snort
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 06:05 am
The word "troll" is much overused and abused these days; I try to avoid using it.

In any case, Ice Demon seems to be making lots of sense right now...and I do not think it applies to him (I'll assume male) as he is now posting.

Gonna go play 18 later this morning...and having some dental work done this afternoon. I'll check in later.

Let's all try to get along. We are all cyber-friends...in a very dangerous world.

IRFRANK

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 11:01 am
@Frank Apisa,
I hope one hole in one doesn't follow another.
0 Replies

Lola

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 01:57 pm
@Ice Demon,
Quote:
Actually this behavior (the subtle art of trolling rather than flamers) is favored by mainstream media sites. Trolls bring attention to topics discussed, which otherwise would be ignored or be not given any interest by the average viewers or newcomers.
It's not just an online activity in 4chan or reddit, or even by the group anonymous anymore. Now it's hedge fund analysts, political consultants, and even a lot of journalists. They really don't bother with fact checking as greatly in the past and purely looking to produce sensation stories to provoke a reaction.
And yes, verbal harassment can sometimes be classified as trolling, but for the most part, it is 100% ignorable. If you decide to listen to it, get upset and rage, that's your fault. It's a thin line between making jokes and harassment with the trolling phenomenon. I personally don't like to cross the line. I think the mainstream of this phenomenon has to do with the fact that as a more intelligent, well informed society, the majority of people can juggle reality and sadistic fantasies quite well - and with the support of what free speech protects in the end, more power to anyone who wants to create, view and acknowledge any form of opinions, real or fake.

So now you're claiming to be a marketing factor? An advertisement? Frank are you paying this guy for his favors?

Ice Demon, it's true that most people can juggle sadistic fantasies and reality well. However, sadistic behavior, especially as it moves toward destruction of other people or their threads, is only tolerated to a certain extent. I don't tolerate it much and neither does the bunny..........you've been warned. (laughing)

If you carry on with the type of reasoning and open voice demonstrated in your comments quoted above, I don't mind engaging with you in discussion. If however, your activity or the activity of any other destructive forces on these threads continues to injure beyond recovery, then I will ignore you and encourage others to do the same. You can enter the discussion without silly shock tactics. You clearly have the ability and know how.
vonny

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:02 pm
@Lola,
I haven't participated in this thread so far - just enjoyed reading it. Until a disruptive element entered it! Twisted Evil So I totally agree with what you say when you suggest that Ice person be ignored if it continues to disrupt this thread. Hopefully it will take your advice and enter the discussion 'without silly shock tactics'.
glitterbag

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:46 pm
@vonny,
I don't think anyone should take ID seriously. There is something sort of pitiful about the way he/she tries to engage. Just trying too hard, like a person who corners you at a party and winds up boring you to tears, until you remember to beg off to visit the powder room. Doesn't it strike anyone else as sad? Seriously?
Lola

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:51 pm
@glitterbag,
yes, glitter, I agree. And whatever the motive, he/she should be firmly managed (ignored completely) unless he/she can be respectful enough.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:51 pm
I'm pretty sure I know perfectly well who 'Ice Demon' used to be on this site. I just can't remember the nom he was using but I can visualize the avatar quite clearly. Clever, witty but often over-the-top poster. Like Frank Apisa, I have the occasional memory lapse. It's a malady of sorts. Frank and I have gotten older but the malady lingers on.
vonny

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:56 pm
@glitterbag,
Oh I agree - totally.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 03:56 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Good tune, Andrew.

Look...everyone: Ice Demon has made a couple of decent reasonable posts here...and I think everyone ought to just take a moment to consider giving him a chance. None of us are angels here...all of us occasionally use a chainsaw where a scalpel is called for.

Let's just cool it...and see where things go.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 04:03 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Totally agree with that, Frank.

Some people are just overly sensitive and can't take a joke. If everyone just remembered that very few things that ID says are intended to be taken seriously, we'd all be better off. (Well, better off by today's Federal Reserve standards, I mean. We never should have gone off the Silver Certificate standard. But that's another story.) If you consider his behavior troll-like, you're just feeding the troll by getting bent out of shape over his shenanigans. You've taken the bait. He is quite clever and quite articulate; let it be.
0 Replies

Ice Demon

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 08:24 pm
@Lola,
Well, Frank did promise me he'd go golfing with me if I brought more interest to his thread. He may not remember because he was fluthered as a gammy bowsie when I found him.
*shrug*
It all worked out well in the end.
Ice Demon

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 08:26 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Thanks for putting me in a reasonable light (You too Lustig Andrei). I owe you guys one.
JeffreyEqualityNewma

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 08:39 pm
@Ice Demon,
Most are just playing into your idiocy, as I am doing by responding to you. Which will be the last time I do that.
Ice Demon

Reply Tue 5 Mar, 2013 08:50 pm
@JeffreyEqualityNewma,
Just call me for company if you're ever in misery. I will be sure to please. My E-quality is unbeatable.
0 Replies