A2K Fantasy Baseball Is Back! 2013 Version

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 10:35 pm
@realjohnboy,
Except I'm really a Californian who lives in New Mexico - not a Dodgers or Angels fan as I should be, but a SF Giants fan. And Tico lives in Arizona now..
realjohnboy

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 10:45 pm
@ossobuco,
Tico is in AZ. Not KS. I knew that.
What"s up with the weather in NM, Osso? I am seeing a "red flag warning" on my weather map for much of the state tonight.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 10:56 pm
@realjohnboy,
Nuthin' much -

Saturday Night

Partly cloudy. Low of 43F. Breezy. Winds from the WNW at 10 to 25 mph with gusts to 30 mph.
Sunday
Partly cloudy. High of 72F. Windy. Winds from the West at 10 to 30 mph with gusts to 40 mph.

Sunday Night
Partly cloudy. Low of 39F. Windy. Winds from the NW at 10 to 30 mph with gusts to 40 mph.

Monday
Clear. High of 66F. Breezy. Winds from the NW at 10 to 25 mph with gusts to 30 mph.

Monday Night
Partly cloudy. Low of 36F. Breezy. Winds from the NNW at 5 to 25 mph with gusts to 30 mph.

Oh, wait -

fire warning:

Statement as of 1:58 PM MDT on March 16, 2013

... Red flag warning remains in effect from 1 PM to 8 PM MDT
Sunday...

* Area and timing... most of northern and central excluding the
northern mountains and adjacent Highlands where snowpack exists.
Peak period expected between 3 to 6 PM... but some locales will
experience red flag conditions up to a couple hours either side
of this peak period.

* 20 foot winds... west/southwest 20 to 30 mph with gusts
between 40 to 50 mph.

* Relative humidity... minimum values upper single digits to mid
teens.

* Impacts... any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly.
Outdoor burning is not recommended.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

Please advise the appropriate officials or fire crews in the
field of this red flag warning.

I'm not that tuned into fires here - we do have them, and it has been exceptionally dry here in a dry place - but I'm used to ferocious ones right near us in Los Angeles.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 16 Mar, 2013 11:18 pm
@realjohnboy,
AZ (not KS).

Been AZ for 6 years now, RJB.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 12:54 am
Sorry all...I missed the draft as well...If anyone is interested in a deal for a closer or set up guy...I am all ears...
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 07:32 am
@realjohnboy,
Me? I'm from Flori-Mass.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 09:55 am
@Ticomaya,
I might be in search of a closer, need to check numbaz.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 12:57 pm
I've got four baddass closers. Will deal any of them for an outfielder--of the power variety, as opposed to speed.

Romo
Betancourt
Frieri (Ryan Madson, historically a closer, is on the DL, but Frieri 1) will start the season as closer and 2) will probably hold the job--check out last year's stats).
Jannsen (May still be on the DL opening day but is expected to take the gig in April, for the Jays, who could win 100 games this year.)
Ragman

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 02:29 pm
@Gargamel,
I know right now I need a top-shelf reliever...in the order of 30+ saves (with very few blown saves). I got to study more my roster about who/whom I'd give up as far as power hitting OF, though.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 02:31 pm
Two weeks until Opening Day! Tap, tap, tap. What do we do until then?
Anyone filling out NCAA basketball brackets?
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 02:34 pm
@realjohnboy,
No, I haven't been paying any attention to bball. I did enjoy the brackets when Tsar had a tread about it (2 years ago?) but that involved the NYTimes, which some of us can't get in to see articles/links often. What other sites have the brackets? do you know some?
Gargamel

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 02:42 pm
@Ragman,
Willingham is probably the only OF on your roster you'd want to part with for any of my closers.
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 02:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Yahoo and ESPN will put something up today. Last year, I did real well - something like in the top 10%.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 03:19 pm
@realjohnboy,
Thanks, jb.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 03:32 pm
@Gargamel,
Your reliever Romo looks good from my viewpoint...and Willingham has lots of value as a hitter; however, right now I can't see a 1-for-1 trade. Mulling it over.

Just out of curiosity, at this stage ...how do you trade or exchange? I'm seeing Add and Drop of players...not sure the waiver wire, etc.? I may have just added A.J. Pierzynski. and Kendrys Morales...but not sure as availability is stated to be Wed, Mar 19th. I don't know if the action is real or can be changed by their manager?
realjohnboy

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 03:52 pm
@Ragman,
As I recall, you start the trade process by going to "My Team" and scroll down to "Propose Trade." You list the player you are willing to give up and the player you want from another team.
The rest of the league can veto the proposed trade if it is deemed to be unfair to the rest of us. I don't recall that that has ever happened, though.
Ragman

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 03:56 pm
@realjohnboy,
So when I just dropped a player (Adam Eaton) and tried to add A.J Pierzynski, it will be official on Wed? I think I'm still confused. Going to look on the page to see what you are saying. Waiver page is different?
fbaezer

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 03:57 pm
I happen to have a lot of good starters, would trade one of them for a top reliever, or strong bat.
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 04:54 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
So when I just dropped a player (Adam Eaton) and tried to add A.J Pierzynski, it will be official on Wed? I think I'm still confused. Going to look on the page to see what you are saying. Waiver page is different?

An available player (i.e., not already on someone else's roster) is either a free agent (FA) -- which means you can pick him up immediately and place him in your roster for tomorrow -- or on "waivers" (W) -- which means you need to get in line with anyone else who might put a waiver claim on him.

The date in parenthesis following the "W" is the date the player comes off waivers, and claims are checked.

At the start of the season, every player not drafted is on waivers. After the waiver period, if they are not claimed by any teams, they will become free agents.

In your example, if you put a waiver claim on Pierzynski, the claims will be checked on 3/19. If nobody else has put a claim for that player, you will get him, and drop the player you indicated should be dropped. (And, incidentally, the player you dropped will be put on waivers for a period of three days.) However, if someone else also put a claim in on Pierzynski, then the team with the better waiver claim (meaning the number closest to 1) will get the player. You can see your waiver priority position from the main league page. Right now your waiver priority number is 3, meaning only Gargamel (1) and RJB (2) have a chance to pluck Pierzynski from you. But if Gargamel puts a waiver claim on another player, he will get that player, and his number will drop to 10 (and everyone else's priority number increases by 1 ... meaning RJB will have the first waiver priority). If Garg and RJB don't put a claim on Pierzynski, you will get him, and then your priority number will drop to 10.

The initial waiver priority order is set in reverse to the draft order. Meaning, the player who selected first at the draft (XXSpadeMasterXX) has the number 10 -- last -- waiver priority.

Does this make sense?
Ticomaya

Reply Sun 17 Mar, 2013 04:57 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:
I happen to have a lot of good starters, ...

Yes you do. Doc has the highest WHIP of your starting rotation.

Is strong pitching your normal strategy, or did you change strategy because it's a shallow league?