A2K Fantasy Baseball Is Back! 2013 Version

ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 04:13 pm
@fbaezer,
Didn't know that re the machinations. Makes sense, though I don't quite get the motive in your last sentence. Well, you stated it fine, it just didn't occur to me someone would want to do that..
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 04:20 pm
@fbaezer,
thanks, that answered the question as to why Yahoo appoints them to the list and what gets them off the list.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 07:06 pm
@Ragman,
Yes ... the Commissioner can select the method of appointment to the cant cut list. We've always used Yahoo's list, not sure what other methods there are.

Evidently some folks get frustrated with their season, then dump their roster into the free agent pool. This, as I understand it, is the reason these "very good" players are "protected".

I am surprised to learn BJ Upton is on that list.

Also: The Can't Cut List does not keep you from trading that player for someone else.
Ragman

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 07:25 pm
@Ticomaya,
Thanks. I couldn't grasp the reasoning BJ Upton was on the list so that's what prompted me to ask. Of course, it's quite early in the season but I keep having to bench him. I'll watch him for awhile.

Hear that BJ? You gotta produce or you and your brother won't be on the same team any longer!
fbaezer

Reply Thu 11 Apr, 2013 07:28 pm
There are all types of crazy players in public leagues.

Years ago, there was this guy who streamed every free agent starting pitcher and dumped him right away, just to prevent other players from grabbing one. He lost the final to me Smile
I suppose he wasn't the only one to do it, so in Yahoo! stardard leagues there's now a 6 weekly adds limit.

I once saw another league in which several players decided to make a strike against some bully player, and benched everyone for the entire remaining of the season, letting him have an empty championship.
0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 12:04 am
@Ragman,
Greinke might have broken his clavicle in a brawl...What a mess, Greinke plunked him in the last 3 years I think...but Quentin gets hit more than anyone else...

If it is determined it was not intentional...I hope Quentin is gone for 25-30 games...though not likely...

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 05:22 am
@XXSpadeMasterXX,

looked like Quentin over-reacted.
the pitch wasn't that far inside, and he was crowding the plate.
reminded me of the Manny over-reaction when Clemens plunked him in the '03 playoffs...
Ragman

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 08:17 am
@Region Philbis,
Dodgers are hurtin' for certain. The lost a key cog to their maxi-talented duo of Kershaw and Greinke. Owners were dead-set on collecting (and over-paying) for a shot at the WS.

Sadly, I had Greinke in my roster. He's a history of being a bit fragile but he was worth the risk. Now I'm a bit confused about how to resolve matters. I took action (Dropped him and added Masterson...best SP available on Add list) instead of waiting for him to return in 2 months. Calculated risk. But my disabled list was collecting bodies - not to mention Hanley Ramirez from the same team.

This injury was so unnecessary. In terms of baseball strategy, it made no sense for it to be an intended purpose pitch. I believe it wasn't...and the ball just got away from him. Furthermore, though Quentin and he had a history, the last time it occurred was 4 yrs ago. There's a muscular-40-lb difference between them. I think Quentin should be penalized by the commish - to the tune of maybe about 10 games. After all, Zack will be out for about the equivalent of 30 -40 games, at least.
Ragman

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 08:35 am
@Ragman,
oops...I don't currently have Hanley Ramirez on my roster...but he is on Dodgers DL.
Ragman

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 10:47 am
@Ragman,
Help! Can someone tell me when my roster should show my add move from yesterday?

Yesterday I dropped an injured SP and added Justin Masterson. I need him today but he's not shown on my roster yet. When should powers-that-be at Yahoo have him he show up? I hope within the next 6 hrs...cause he's pitching tonight and I need him on my roster as he's the only one of my SP that are probable to start.
Ragman

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 11:45 am
@Ragman,
Arrgh! Game's pitching time at 4:05 pm not 8pm as I had thought.

There are some roster screens that show he is my pitcher...but nowhere does it show up where it should.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 11:53 am
@Ragman,
It says on the league info that you picked him up at 4:59 a.m. on the 12th - today.
So you won't see him until tomorrow..

(unless I'm mistaken, often possible)

I think but am not sure that it says in small print that it will show on your roster the next day - but I might be thinking of some other move like picking someone up from waivers, when I am sure they tell you.
Ragman

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 12:10 pm
@ossobuco,
well, he's got 2 hrs. to suit up. I thought the deal was 24 hr. I just have no idea when the clock starts.

Yet another victim of Greinke's dustup last night.
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 07:11 pm
@Ragman,
No, it's based on the day you are in. (Or maybe it's the 24 hour day in the Eastern time zone, regardless of where you are ... I'm not certain.)

In any case, since you picked him up during today's 24 hour period beginning at Midnight, he will not show up on your roster until tomorrow's 24 hour period. (When you picked him up, Yahoo told you on what day he'd show up on your roster -- 4/13).
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 07:37 pm
Win, complete game, shutout for Justin Masterson.
That's what I call bad luck.
XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 07:44 pm
@Ragman,
I think you made a good move picking up Masterson...I think he should have a decent season...

I think if a star pitcher goes down like that though...who is not going to miss the season...I would keep that person on my DL, and get rid of an extra bat...Or one of my DL bats etc...Or worse DL pitchers...I think it depends on how deep your team is in either hitting or pitching...because if you make the top 6 and are in the bracket, you would have had Greinke...I think someone is going to scoop him up right now...no worries though, just a game for fun...

Tico is correct, when you add someone, you should see it say at the top when they will be on your roster...and it should go on your roster the next day...if they are a free agent and if the transaction is processed before around 4 or 5 am Eastern time...

But when the transaction goes through, you should see your roster with the add for the next day automatically...

So another words, the next time you add a player, if they are a free agent, when you add them to your team...when it shows your roster, it should show him on your bench for the next day... automatically...the reason why you do not see him the same day is because if this was done, a team could add and start players for the same day they grab them...

0 Replies

XXSpadeMasterXX

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 07:50 pm
Also, for another discussion...the "can't cut list" has something to do with top picks teams make, what they are projected to do, and how they are doing...If someone gets hurt, your next top pick will take one of those spots...(lets just say it is everyone's top 5 picks) If a player does bad, another will take the previous lowest can't cut...etc...

And the only other alternative is not having one...Can't cut list provider is none...I think...there may be another...as in commish...but I have never personally set one...
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 07:58 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:
Win, complete game, shutout for Justin Masterson.
That's what I call bad luck.

OUCH!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 08:01 pm
@XXSpadeMasterXX,
XXSpadeMasterXX wrote:

Also, for another discussion...the "can't cut list" has something to do with top picks teams make, what they are projected to do, and how they are doing...If someone gets hurt, your next top pick will take one of those spots...(lets just say it is everyone's top 5 picks) If a player does bad, another will take the previous lowest can't cut...etc..

I don't think so, if I understand correctly what you are saying. Not every team has the same number of rostered players on the Can't Cut List. For example, right now Jes has 4 such players, Frozen Rope has 4, and I have 6, and you have 6.
Rockhead

Reply Fri 12 Apr, 2013 08:03 pm
@Ticomaya,
the can't cut list is established before the draft.

and typically the new day started about 2am central time...