Lib Dem British MP Castigates Israel

izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 06:46 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

But if I had to bet...I would bet there will not be anything remotely resembling peace in that area during my lifetime, your lifetime, during the lifetimes of anyone else currently alive...or during the lifetimes of children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, or great-great-grandchildren of anyone alive right now.

And unless America produces a president who is really serious about the peace process like Bill Clinton, that's a bet you'll win.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 06:50 am
You'd need someone better than Clinton. Jimmy Carter showed what could be done with genuine, unflinching pressure applied to Israel, and the result was the Camp David accord, which benefited Israel more than it did Egypt. Frankly, i think the power of the Israel lobby at the ballot box is overrated, but as long as politicians believe in it, nothing will be done. They see no downside to currying favor with the Israel lobby, so there's no motive for them to change.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 07:07 am
@Setanta,
I chose Clinton because he was the last president to take the peace process seriously, but I agree with what you say about Carter. I was very upset when Reagan got in.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 09:40 am
@Setanta,
The truth of the matter, as new presidents quickly learn, is that the USA gets a fabulous return on the limited support the country provides Israel.
Setanta

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 09:48 am
@Advocate,
You're so full of **** i'll bet your eyes are brown.
Foofie

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 12:11 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

Foofie wrote:
In other words, in my opinion, Israel was a booby-prize from the outset, since no one expected them to live in peace.

The early 20th century Zionists certainly didn't hold that opinion. Theirs was more a case of myopic idealism.

Non-sequitor, young genius. It has been a booby-prize, when one analyzes the situation, rather than say, in effect, let the buyer beware.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 12:15 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Foofie wrote:
Sorry, but when I see a bunch of Gentiles "ganging up" (correct word, if one knows urban history) on something that connotes Judaism, I have to think something archetypal (aka, Jung's collective unconscious) is going on.

If a similar argument had been made about the Boers Nelson Mandela would have died in prison a long time ago. It's bullshit designed to deflect attention from what is going on in the occupied territories. It's also racist to suggest that Israel should not be expected to live up to the same standards as any other democracy.

Fluff wrote:
Don't worry guys, Jews are not taking over.

They are in the West Bank.

You are laughable, since as a Brit with a strong identity, I believe, your Mother England caused the problem, going back to the Balfour Declaration.

Now you want to appear impartial? Standard duplicity of the British Empire, in my opinion.

Why don't you emigrate to Switzerland, and then you can claim impartiality, that rings true historically.
Foofie

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 12:23 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

You'd need someone better than Clinton. Jimmy Carter showed what could be done with genuine, unflinching pressure applied to Israel, and the result was the Camp David accord, which benefited Israel more than it did Egypt. Frankly, i think the power of the Israel lobby at the ballot box is overrated, but as long as politicians believe in it, nothing will be done. They see no downside to currying favor with the Israel lobby, so there's no motive for them to change.

Since you talk about the "power of the Israel lobby at the ballot box is overrated," it might be more intellectually honest to talk about the "Christian Zionists" at the ballot box, since that is really the ballot box that is being "rated." Not five million Jewish voters that usually vote Democratic.

Using the word "Israel lobby" connotes Jewish voters, and they are really not all that powerful, especially as Democrats. However, the word "Israel lobby" does equate in the minds of many as Jewish Americans, and as you well know, the thought of Jewish machinations for power worked for the Czar, and still gets an audience.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 12:54 pm
@Foofie,
More idiotic nonsense, one's nationality is no excuse for inertia, and nobody has invented a time machine. Try living in the real world for a change.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 01:03 pm
@izzythepush,
I doubt very much they understand what the "real world" is. The continue to increase their settlements on Palestinian lands, and they think they are in the right.

There's no cure f........
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 01:34 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5256119)
Frank wrote:

By the way...none of us ought to minimize the pressures on Jews to be defensive.

What are these pressures on "Jews" to be defensive, and how does this relate to the Israel/Palestine conflict?

As respectfully as I can say this: Anyone who has to ask that question probably could never understand the answer.

How about posting your answer and letting everyone else decide for themselves whether they understand it, or does one have to be an initiate into your occult?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 01:44 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
You are laughable, since as a Brit with a strong identity,

You're very much a differences person aren't you. You can't debate anything with me without pointing out my nationality. I bet when you meet someone for the first time you see a black man, a white gentile, an indian, an asian, you never see another person.

Fluff wrote:
Using the word "Israel lobby" connotes Jewish voters,

And you're also a hypocrite. What terminology do you think we should use to describe those that lobby on behalf of the state of Israel? I think you're trying to censor people's words, putting Israel above reproach. At the same time you indulge in racist stereotypes and delight in using racist language.

The Israel lobby is very powerful, they've even got Rupert Murdoch running scared. Check out his reaction to the Gerald Scarfe cartoon.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 01:45 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
How about posting your answer and letting everyone else decide for themselves whether they understand it, or does one have to be an initiate into your occult?

I've got an even better idea, InfraBlue.

How about me posting whatever I want to post...and you posting whatever you want to post?

Does that work for you?

And a question:

What does "...be an initiate into your occult" mean?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 01:49 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

You know exactly what it means.

http://www.boingboing.net/filesroot/cargo-cult-erg.jpg
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 03:42 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Since you talk about the "power of the Israel lobby at the ballot box is overrated," it might be more intellectually honest to talk about the "Christian Zionists" at the ballot box, since that is really the ballot box that is being "rated." Not five million Jewish voters that usually vote Democratic.

Using the word "Israel lobby" connotes Jewish voters, and they are really not all that powerful, especially as Democrats. However, the word "Israel lobby" does equate in the minds of many as Jewish Americans, and as you well know, the thought of Jewish machinations for power worked for the Czar, and still gets an audience.

I think that's fair. We are talking about the wrongful actions of the Israeli State and the folks here who (usually for their own interests) actively support AIPAC and other like political action groups supporting Israel. Some Jews are also Zionists and some are not. Some Gentiles are Zionists also. Many Evangelicals and their church groups are, for their own reasons, very active supporters of Zionism. It wouldn't surprise me to learn that some of them are also anti Semites.

I believe Izzie's unqualified opposition to everything Israeli should be tempered with more awareness of his country's substantial involvement in the unrest and antagonisms that plague the Mideast, from Pakistan to Iran, Syria and Egypt (and beyond). To a very large degree they are clear historical consequences of British imperialism; the destruction of the Ottoman Empire; colonial misrule; and economic exploitation.

Divide and conquer was the rule for the expansion of the British Empire. Britain used the Arabs to help them overthrow the Ottomans (so they and their French alies could control the region and its oil) and promised Palestine to their Hashemite leaders as a reward. At the same time they were blithely promising a Palestinian homeland to European Zionists (led by Lord Rothschild), and doing so with a truly amazing disregard for the likely consequences. (At the time Zionisn was but a minor preoccupation among European Jews who, more often than not, were as preoccupied with assimilation as the distant dream of Zionism. All that changed after the Holocaust.) The U.S. foolishly agreed in 1953 to finance and back a British plan to overthrow the Iranian parliamentary government in favor of installing the young Shah as absolute ruler and ensuring the British could maintain their 90/10 split of oil profits with the Iranians - an act that had bad consequences that cointinue today.

WWII brought everything to a head. The Germans attempted to exterminate European Jews from the Atlantic to the Volga, and the effort involved some passive (and occasionally active) complicity on the part of other nations. At the end of this war there was a vast population of "displaced persons" , the euphamism then used for Germans expelled from their land in the new borders of Poland, the Baltic States, and Czechoslovakia, and, even more prominently, a very large population of European Jews saved from various internment camps, who were no longer welcome in their former European homes. That these suffering people aggressively sought to resurrect the Zionist dream and create a new homeland for themselves, should surprise no one.

Ideally the immigrant European Jews should have sought a peaceful accomodation and even assimilation of the resident Palestinain population right from the start. However those were not ideal conditions, and they were further exacerbated by the British who simply washed their hands of the whole affair they had created and bugged out, bequeathing the problem to the UN (which then had almost no Moslem states in its membership).

Instead, I fault the Israelis for missing the crucial political and moral opportunity that presented itself after the 1967 war. Israel was then safe and secure - able to safely take a chance by recognizing the immediate human and political rights of the large Palestinian population, then in their control. Unhappily they chose otherwise and have since then pursued a policy of forced displacement and separation that will likely yield a conflict which will last for centuries.

I believe there are two important moral lessons here.
1. Freedom and peace for the oppressed cannot be found by oppressing others.
2. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone...
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 06:54 pm
@georgeob1,
This news report says it all.

Quote:

Sniper Posts Pic of Child in Crosshairs
By Alexander Marquardt | ABC News – 8 hrs ago.. .

View Photo.
ABC News - Sniper Posts Pic of Child in Crosshairs (ABC News)

JERUSALEM - A photo posted online by an Israeli soldier showing a child in the crosshairs of a rifle scope has created a firestorm on the internet, drawing widespread criticism.

The photo was reportedly posted on Jan. 25 by Mor Ostrovski, 20, a member of an Israeli sniper unit. It shows crosshairs zeroed in on the back of the head of what appears to be a Palestinian boy in a village. The photo has since been taken down and Ostrovski's account has been deactivated.
InfraBlue

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 08:01 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Quote:

I've got an even better idea, InfraBlue.

How about me posting whatever I want to post...and you posting whatever you want to post?

Does that work for you?

And a question:

What kind of discussion is this when you refuse to explain your assertions because you assume someone won't understand what you're saying?

Secretiveness makes for poor discussion.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 08:06 pm
@InfraBlue,
Quote:
What kind of discussion is this when you refuse to explain your assertions because you assume someone won't understand what you're saying?

Apparently the kind of discussion in which you choose not to be engaged. So...why are you still here.

Quote:
Secretiveness makes for poor discussion.

There is no secret...nor is there any secretiveness.

You asked: "What are these pressures on "Jews" to be defensive, and how does this relate to the Israel/Palestine conflict?"

I responded: "As respectfully as I can say this: Anyone who has to ask that question probably could never understand the answer."
georgeob1

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 09:31 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

This news report says it all.

No it doesn't. If you read further on the report indicated the Israeli s0ldier also reports he didn't take the photo but copied it on line. I can't verify any of these details, but if you believe this tells the whole story of this unhappy chapter in human history, then I assume you also believe that the Japanese atrocities in Nanking in the 1930s tell the whole story about about Japanese people.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Feb, 2013 09:48 pm
@georgeob1,
Yes, I believe what the Japanese did in Nanking and all over SE Asia. They were brutal, not only against their enemies, but also towards their own soldiers.

I'm sure as a career navy man, you have more details about those atrocities than I, but my impressions have been garnered from many readings of history.