Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

parados

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:41 am
@BillRM,
If you assume WRONGLY, which you are wont to do, that the only children killed by guns in this year were those at a school in Connecticut.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:43 am
@Joe Nation,
bump
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:45 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
My 'act' is not in any need of cleaning up.

I don't know about that. Have you learned the difference between right and wrong yet?

Ragman wrote:
I'd venture to say that your opinion is a minority opinion. Others may see this matter quite differently.

If a million people are mistaken, that is no reason for me to stop being correct.

Ragman wrote:
References to WWII holocaust and Nazis is an infamous sensationalistic tactic or ploy of a troll.

It is also sometimes used in actual points.

Ragman wrote:
Furthermore, I can see no logic connection to the tragedy discussed ... e.g. no causality.

Nonsense. He explained the logic quite clearly.

Now I can see someone maybe arguing that he is mistaken. But to pretend he brought it up for no reason is just silly.

Ragman wrote:
To make such a connection, IMHO, is beyond odious.

If you really dislike the point he made, instead of pretending that he didn't make a point, try making a polite argument as to how you feel that his point is incorrect.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:45 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
I guess Oralloy didn't realize one of the teachers was armed. It's the teacher's guns that were used to kill her at her home and then everyone at the school.

The fact that a teacher has guns at home does not mean they are allowed to carry them at school.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:46 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Can't you ever stick to the topic? We're not talking about airline pilots.

So you do not see the similarity of having a government program of arming screen professional to help deal with a threat to air travel and involving airline pilots and the possibly of setting up a similar program involving teachers for similar reasons Firefly?

More likely you are just being your dishonest self.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:47 am
@firefly,
Agreed. I was just highlighting some key questions, at least in my mind, that need answering. I'm sure that there are dozens more questions that need answers.

Were the guns and ammo under lock and key...etc.? Though it could be seen a moot point as clearly he must have defeated or unlocked them.

I've heard former schoolmates and friends who have described him as 'remote', 'very smart' and a 'follower of goth', none of which are overly helpful. Evidence somewhere has to show him, prior to the event, as having more of a disturbed side. Also more deep background on the relationship with the mother and divorced dad would paint a more complete picture.
oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:49 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Even President Obama had difficulty maintaining his composure, because he was so obviously moved by these deaths, and his own feelings as a parent.

I didn't buy it. He's just looking for a way to violate the Constitution.
BillRM

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:53 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
One of the questions that comes to my mind here: It has been well reported that all 3 of the guns were registered to the mother

Once more inside of a family who is the buyer/registered owner of firearms and who are the true owners does not need to be one and the same thing.

One of my wife guns if trace would show up as being connected to me not my wife as it was a damn gift to her.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:58 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

firefly wrote:
Even President Obama had difficulty maintaining his composure, because he was so obviously moved by these deaths, and his own feelings as a parent.

I didn't buy it. He's just looking for a way to violate the Constitution.

And you are just looking for another reason to grab your penis gun and get yourself off.
oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:59 am
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
One of the questions that comes to my mind here: It has been well reported that all 3 of the guns were registered to the mother. How did Adam get his access? Why did the mother have what seems to be a small arsenal of arms? How (and why) did he get access to ammo? How much training and exposure and/or counseling did the killer have?

A small arsenal? Don't be silly.

As for why she had guns, it is because she chose to do so.

Americans aren't serfs. We get to have guns if we so choose.
oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:01 am
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
Seems that if gun manufacturers made bullet clips that held only a few bullets it would slow down a shooter's ability to keep shooting. The shooter would be too busy reloading or juggling an armload of weapons to inflict as many casualties.

Define "few". If you make it too difficult for people to defend themselves, you violate the Constitution.

And would this proposal also apply to police weapons? If it is good enough for an ordinary citizen to defend themselves, it is also good enough for the police.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:02 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
if japan can do it, so can we...

The US Constitution, the US Supreme Court, and the NRA all say you can't. Sorry.

Quote:
A Land Without Guns: How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths

Does it make them "less dead" when they are killed with knives instead?
oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:04 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
And you are just looking for another reason to grab your penis gun and get yourself off.

Bigotry and name-calling. How nice.
Region Philbis

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:04 am
@oralloy,

the NRA does not speak for me...
parados

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:05 am
@oralloy,
Quote:

Does it make them "less dead" when they are killed with knives instead?

No, but it does make for less of them being dead.

A man in China attacks children at a school with a knife. 22 children and 1 adult. No one is reported to have died.
A man in USA attack children at a school with guns. 20 children died and 6 adults died.

Which group is "less dead"?
parados

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:06 am
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

parados wrote:

Bigotry? Don't you mean Smallotry?
McTag

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:06 am
@ossobuco,

Good comment from Gopnik:

" So let’s state the plain facts one more time, so that they can’t be mistaken: Gun massacres have happened many times in many countries, and in every other country, gun laws have been tightened to reflect the tragedy and the tragic knowledge of its citizens afterward. In every other country, gun massacres have subsequently become rare. In America alone, gun massacres, most often of children, happen with hideous regularity, and they happen with hideous regularity because guns are hideously and regularly available.

The people who fight and lobby and legislate to make guns regularly available are complicit in the murder of those children."

The responsibility for these children's deaths can be laid at the feet of the gun lobby, the "cold, dead hands" fraternity.
BillRM

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:09 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Were the guns and ammo under lock and key...etc.? Though it could be seen a moot point as clearly he must have defeated or unlocked them.

What kind of family do you have that firearms would be under lock and key from other adult members of your own household?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:11 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
the NRA does not speak for me...

But they speak to you. They have denied your request to violate the Constitution.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 10:14 am
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:

Bigotry? Don't you mean Smallotry?

More bigotry and name-calling. You freedom haters sure can be childish when you are prevented from violating people's civil rights.
0 Replies