Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 08:43 am
Seems that if gun manufacturers made bullet clips that held only a few bullets it would slow down a shooter's ability to keep shooting. The shooter would be too busy reloading or juggling an armload of weapons to inflict as many casualties.
BillRM

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 08:45 am
@parados,
Quote:
I guess Oralloy didn't realize one of the teachers was armed. It's the teacher's guns that were used to kill her at her home and then everyone at the school.

The weapons was register to her but I would bet she had little or nothing to do with the firearms and the true owner was her one son.

One of my wife firearms as far as I know is still "register" to me as I purchased it for a Christmas or a birthday present for her many years ago.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 08:52 am

if japan can do it, so can we...

Quote:
A Land Without Guns: How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths

Almost no one in Japan owns a gun. Most kinds are illegal, with onerous restrictions on buying and maintaining the few that are allowed. Even the country's infamous, mafia-like Yakuza tend to forgo guns; the few exceptions tend to become big national news stories.

Japanese tourists who fire off a few rounds at the Royal Hawaiian Shooting Club would be breaking three separate laws back in Japan -- one for holding a handgun, one for possessing unlicensed bullets, and another violation for firing them -- the first of which alone is punishable by one to ten years in jail. Handguns are forbidden absolutely. Small-caliber rifles have been illegal to buy, sell, or transfer since 1971. Anyone who owned a rifle before then is allowed to keep it, but their heirs are required to turn it over to the police once the owner dies.

The only guns that Japanese citizens can legally buy and use are shotguns and air rifles, and it's not easy to do. The process is detailed in David Kopel's landmark study on Japanese gun control, published in the 1993 Asia Pacific Law Review, still cited as current. (Kopel, no left-wing loony, is a member of the National Rifle Association and once wrote in National Review that looser gun control laws could have stopped Adolf Hitler.)

To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you'll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don't forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years.

Even the most basic framework of Japan's approach to gun ownership is almost the polar opposite of America's. U.S. gun law begins with the second amendment's affirmation of the "right of the people to keep and bear arms" and narrows it down from there. Japanese law, however, starts with the 1958 act stating that "No person shall possess a firearm or firearms or a sword or swords," later adding a few exceptions. In other words, American law is designed to enshrine access to guns, while Japan starts with the premise of forbidding it. The history of that is complicated, but it's worth noting that U.S. gun law has its roots in resistance to British gun restrictions, whereas some academic literature links the Japanese law to the national campaign to forcibly disarm the samurai, which may partially explain why the 1958 mentions firearms and swords side-by-side.
(full article)
BillRM

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 08:59 am
@IRFRANK,
Quote:
But, there are 15,000 murders a year in this country. That's close to 40 a day. Not so rare

Let see with a population of 300 millions that mean that 15,000 murders that would be one in 20,000 of the population and that is assuming that all the murders was done by firearms and not also by other means such as knives etc.

Then you add that those deaths tend to be concentrated in a few populations such as sadly black male teenagers it is indeed rare for the general population.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:04 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
You really are scum . . . and not very bright, either.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-S8Rv_bRb8PI/Tpmhtg6eIOI/AAAAAAAABY0/XguqXLf_AN0/s1600/asshole-posters.jpeg.jpg
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:06 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
Then you add that those deaths tend to be concentrated in a few populations such as sadly black male teenagers

Another population where it tends to be concentrated seems to be grade school kids and younger.
firefly

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:07 am
@parados,
Quote:
I guess Oralloy didn't realize one of the teachers was armed. It's the teacher's guns that were used to kill her at her home and then everyone at the school.

Now they are saying that the shooter's mother was not a teacher at the school, so why he went to that school in particular, after killing his mother at their home, is still unknown.

The guns he used were apparently legally purchased and were registered to either his mother or his father.

Instead of nonsensical discussions about arming teachers, I think we ought to recognize the commendable actions of many of the teachers in protecting their young students, and helping to keep them calm and comforted, while this ordeal was going on.

gungasnake

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:09 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
I think Finn (of all people) may have hit the nail on the head.

Maybe we are better off treating them as natural catastrophes, unavoidable and fortunately quite rare.

That just about sums it up, other than keeping in mind the tens of millions of live which have been lost to gun-control programs and government murder programs, INCLUDING the tens of thousands of Indians killed by snakes every year which a simple 12ga shotgun in every second or third household would put a quick end to.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:13 am
Let's treat this like natural catastrophes then. We build dams, dikes and levees to help prevent natural disasters. We build early warning sirens for storms and tornadoes We DO things to limit the damage that natural disasters can cause. Perhaps it's time to look at what we can do to limit the damage a shooting rampage can cause.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:14 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:

IF you manage to win the civil war which would immediately ensue. That's a very big "if"...
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:15 am
@Region Philbis,
Quote:

LOL you could make it hard to legally own a firearm and increase the black market price of buying one but that is it.

How do you think the war of drugs is doing with billions of dollars spend on it very year?

Let see, I had not even seen an illegal drug in 40 plus years and have no friends or family that I know of that are involved with such and yet I would bet a large amount of money that I could get into my car and drive 20 miles or so and have any street drug you would care to name in my hands within an hour or so.

Sorry but with a population of 300 millions and at least 200 millions firearms in private hands assuming you could somehow get such laws pass it would be more of a joke then the war on drug happen to be.

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:17 am
Quote:
December 14, 2012
Why America Lets the Killings Continue
By GREGORY GIBSON
Gloucester, Mass.

MY wife and I learned about the Connecticut school shootings on our way home from the cemetery, where we had just finished observing the 20th anniversary of our son’s murder.

Our son Galen, who was 18, and a teacher were killed on Dec. 14, 1992, by a deranged student who went on a shooting rampage at Simon’s Rock College in western Massachusetts. Galen was a gifted kid, and Simon’s Rock seemed like the perfect place for him. He’d never been happier. The killer had a vastly different reaction to this environment. After run-ins with college officials, he vowed to “bring the college to its knees.” He bought an SKS at a gun shop down the road, and obtained oversize clips and ammunition through the mail.

In the wake of Galen’s murder, I wrote a book about the shooting. In it I suggested that we view gun crime as a public health issue, much the same as smoking or pesticides. I spent a number of years attending rallies, signing petitions, writing letters and making speeches, but eventually I gave up. Gun control, such a live issue in the “early” days of school shootings, inexplicably became a third-rail issue for politicians.

I came to realize that, in essence, this is the way we in America want things to be. We want our freedom, and we want our firearms, and if we have to endure the occasional school shooting, so be it. A terrible shame, but hey — didn’t some guy in China just do the same thing with a knife?

Still, whatever your position on gun control, it is impossible not to react with horror to news of the shootings in Connecticut. Our horror is nuanced by knowledge of what those families are going through, and what they will have to endure in years to come.

More horrible still — to me at least — is the inevitable lament, “How could we have let this happen?”

It is a horrible question because the answer is so simple. Make it easy for people to get guns and things like this will happen.

Children will continue to pay for a freedom their elders enjoy.

Gregory Gibson is the author of “Gone Boy: A Father’s Search for the Truth in His Son’s Murder.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/14/opinion/why-we-let-the-school-shootings-continue.html?hp

"Make it easy for people to get guns and things like this will happen...."
BillRM

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:17 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Instead of nonsensical discussions about arming teachers,

Such as the federal approve program to arm airline pilots Firefly?
firefly

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:22 am
@BillRM,
Can't you ever stick to the topic? We're not talking about airline pilots.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:24 am
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/19/AR2007041902543.html

Charles Krauthammer:

Quote:

By Charles Krauthammer
Friday, April 20, 2007
What can be said about the Virginia Tech massacre? Very little. What should be said? Even less. The lives of 32 innocents, chosen randomly and without purpose, are extinguished most brutally by a deeply disturbed gunman. With an event such as this, consisting of nothing but suffering and tragedy, the only important questions are those of theodicy, of divine justice. Unfortunately, in today's supercharged political atmosphere, there is the inevitable rush to get ideological mileage out of the carnage.

It did not take long for the perennial debate about gun control to break out, preceded by the inevitable scolding and clucking abroad about America's lax gun laws.

It is true that with far stricter gun laws, Cho Seung Hui might have had a harder time getting the weapons and ammunition needed to kill so relentlessly. Nonetheless, we should have no illusions about what laws can do. There are other ways to kill in large numbers, as Timothy McVeigh demonstrated. Determined killers will obtain guns no matter how strict the laws. And stricter controls could also keep guns out of the hands of law-abiding citizens using them in self-defense. The psychotic mass murder is rare; the armed household burglary is not.

If we are going to look for a political issue here, the more relevant is not gun control but psychosis control. We decided a half a century ago that our more eccentric and, indeed, crazy fellow citizens would not be easily locked in asylums. It was a humane decision, but with the inevitable consequence that some who really need quarantine are allowed to roam the streets.

It turns out that Cho's psychiatric impairment had been evident to many. He had been cited for stalking two women on campus. Virginia Tech police tried unsuccessfully to have him involuntarily committed. A teacher referred him to counseling, and even his fellow students saw signs of dangerous disturbance. " Cho's plays. . . had really twisted, macabre violence," writes former classmate Ian McFarlane. "Before Cho got to class that day [of reading plays], we students were talking to each other with serious worry about whether he could be a school shooter. I was even thinking of scenarios of what I would do in case he did come in with a gun."

In a previous age, such a troubled soul might have found himself at the state mental hospital rather than a state university. But in a trade-off that a decent and tolerant society makes with open eyes, we allow freedom from straitjackets to those on the psychic edge, knowing that such tolerance runs a very rare but very terrible risk......
Ragman

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:28 am
@firefly,
One of the questions that comes to my mind here: It has been well reported that all 3 of the guns were registered to the mother. How did Adam get his access? Why did the mother have what seems to be a small arsenal of arms? How (and why) did he get access to ammo? How much training and exposure and/or counseling did the killer have?
firefly

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:31 am
@gungasnake,
We have no evidence thus far that the gunman in this shooting suffered from severe mental illness such as a psychosis, or gave any indication that he was in need of psychiatric hospitalization, unlike the Virginia Tech killer that Krauthammer referred to, who many people had considered potentially dangerous.

The Columbine killers weren't psychotic either.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:34 am
@parados,
Quote:
Another population where it tends to be concentrated seems to be grade school kids and younger.

Bullshit and I mean emotional Bullshit as say what 50 millions children in that age range and 20 children kill in this event that would be .04 per hundred thousands of population.

One child kill by violence is one too many but the chance of a child being kill by firearms is one hell of a lot less by many orders of magnitude then are killed by their own parents and or care givers by other means.
firefly

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:36 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Why did the mother have what seems to be a small arsenal of arms?

Either her older son, or her ex-husband, might be able to answer that question.
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2012 09:38 am
Quote:
Maybe we are better off treating them as natural catastrophes, unavoidable and fortunately quite rare.

Sorry, this to me sounds too much like a shrug, an easier reaction to take than one which faces what happened and asks: "Why?" To describe the murder of twenty children and their teachers as 'natural' 'unavoidable' is escapism of the most unfeeling kind.

I think we have allowed a small segment of our society to foist really bad ideas into the fabric of this nation:
-the idea that the use of a gun is a permissible, justifiable solution to personal problems-
-the idea that, if you ever feel slightly threatened, lethal action isn't proscribed, it's necessary-
-the idea that the more armed we are as a people, the safer we will be- .

I think we need to question these assertions and several others about how we as a people deal with each other. We need to have real conversations about whether we will allow fear of our fellow citizens be the guiding point of our interactions.

Three days ago the State of Florida issued its one millionth concealed carry permit; that means that one in 18 people there feels the need to be armed when in public.
Where have we come as a nation if we still think we need to arm ourselves as if we were living on the edges of the frontier of two hundred years ago? Really, no more security in our lives in this, the land of the Free?

Joe(Only unavoidable if we do and say nothing.)Nation