Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

Val Killmore

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 05:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

The first step is to get the automatic and semi automatic guns outlawed. That removes an air of invincibility from the equation.

semi auto = 1 shot per pull of trigger, that will mean banning all modern hand guns, and I disagree with that.
Hundreds of thousands of guns are circulating in the US "black market", and legal gun shops are semi autos. There is no way to take those guns out of circulation without a national outcry, which would be extremely dangerous.

edgarblythe wrote:
As for the mental health issues, I think the only way mental health will improve is when the population in general's mental health improves.

That is ignoring the problem, which will not work. Services must be set up to catch and treat mental health issues in individuals, and not just ignore and it and hope it will go away.
farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 05:10 pm
@edgarblythe,
There is also a duty to protect our vulnerable populations (like schools , hospitals, etc) by doing some creative security designs in our buildings and increasing perimeter inspections especially at places like schools. Many of these places are merely attractive targets because the scum that commit these atrocities are cowardly, looking for targets of least resistance.

Weve spent several TRILLIONS on this Homeland Security fdrap and here we have a real threat that accounts for more deaths to our citizens each year than any of these terrorist threats.
I undertand that the CDC, whichhad been tasked to do investigations on domestic terrorism like this , and THEYVE BEEN DEFUNDED BY CONGRESS AND OBAMA DIDNT EVEN BLINK
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 05:12 pm
@farmerman,
I amend my last to include what you are saying. That type of security demands a common sense that is missing in many situations.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 05:22 pm
@Val Killmore,
I do not suggest they ignore mental health, only that there is no way to reach them all. They will never know in advance who is going to go berserk in enough cases.
Any gun that can shoot lots of bullets without reloading is a part of the solution, whether people agree with me or not.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 05:45 pm
@edgarblythe,
You could fix that wording, but I agree with your intent.
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 05:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
(Banning) Any gun that can shoot lots of bullets without reloading is a part of the solution, whether people agree with me or not.

Are you serious? Aren't you worried that disarmament will lead to subsequent further loss of liberties. You give them an inch, they take it a mile.
You're not worried about dictatorship?
If you go back further than 50 years, you'll see much worse than a few gun deaths. Those with the weapons always conquer those without. Every major human rights violation has always been preceded by disarmament. Nazi Germany, the lack of ability for peasants to craft horses or breed horses (thus ruled by knights with swords and horses), the slaughter of the Native Americans, the Egyptian enslavement of the Jews.

Abolition of armaments is not the solution, it will only create bigger problems.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 05:55 pm
@Val Killmore,
Interesting. By your reasoning, Canada and Australia - among other countries - should be dictatorships.
spendius

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 06:14 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
perhaps the elimination of sales and the repeal of the"grandfather" status of these assault weapons would only be a part of the solution, but it would be a critical part nonetheless no matter what second amendment fans would say.

Yes--but how do we know that your suggestion is not driven by your weapons being outshone by assault weapons?

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king until the man with eyes in the back of his head arrives.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 06:23 pm
@spendius,
FOR ALL
I would like a little protection for people like me who dont carry an armory around with them where ever they go.
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 06:34 pm
@ehBeth,
What are you talking about? Australians can own guns. Canadians can own guns.
Any and all semi automatic guns are not banned in Australia and Canada.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 06:41 pm
@Val Killmore,
**** on your liberties if it means more senseless slaughter. As has already been pointed out, the states that have the loosest laws re guns have the most shootings by far.
Zarathustra

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 06:41 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king until the man with eyes in the back of his head arrives.

James Joyce you ain’t. In the world of metaphor you are as out of place as a hobo in a green tie.

Remember "it is folly for a rich man to pick the weather but it is wise for a poor man to pick a rich man".
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 06:45 pm
@Zarathustra,
Well stated! I gave you two thumb's up for your insight and calling spendi what he is!~

I really enjoyed,
Quote:
James Joyce you ain’t. In the world of metaphor you are as out of place as a hobo in a green tie.
Zarathustra

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 06:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
It was meant as humor not derision.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 06:57 pm
@Zarathustra,
Well, spendi's posts are good for a laugh most of the time. Mr. Green
0 Replies

Val Killmore

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 07:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
As if your solution won't prevent senseless slaughter, difference being that it'll be unbridled all powerful government who'll be behind it.
I was hoping to not have to point out the obvious. Our founding fathers wanted not only that we be able to protect our country from foreign invades, but from internal threats as well, including our own government.

Yes guns in the wrong hands will lead to tragedies, but look at how violent the world was before guns.

If a crazy angry person, especially an intelligent person, wants to kill people they will find a way. Look what a guy did a few years ago, and he wasn't intending to kill anyone, just do some damage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZbG9i1oGPA

You may wish a government set up like North Korea, but I don't.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 07:03 pm
@Val Killmore,
look at how violent the world was before guns.

Er - Yeah? So you are saying guns guns and more guns is the cure for death by guns?
Val Killmore

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 07:09 pm
@edgarblythe,
No I'm saying banning guns won't stop senseless crime. It's human nature. While you're at it why not be consistent and ban knives, cars, bulldozers, bombs, etc
Your solution which consist of banning all semi automatics and automatics is fit only for a utopian world.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 07:10 pm
@Val Killmore,
You,
Quote:
You may wish a government set up like North Korea, but I don't.

What has North Korea have anything to do with the US on guns?

The US has a Constitution that gives citizens the "right to bear arms." It doesn't say anything about what kind of "arms," and the US Supreme Court has instituted restrictions on "the right to bear arms."

The Supreme Court can do whatever they think is within the US Constitution; this is not North Korea.
farmerman

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 07:13 pm
@Val Killmore,
Canada classifies guns as

PROHIBITED TYPES (their list of ownership bans is available)

RESTRICTED TYPES_Those include semi auto , long guns and pistols.Registration and PALs are required for restricted types

NON_RESTRICTED TYPES -long guns of the principally "sporting types"
Canada is more rtestrictive than US in how it regulates guns. They dont appear to let gun lobbies get in the way of common sense regulation.