cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 01:33 pm
@fbaezer,
Except for the "dumb Mexican," I agree with your post. Mr. Green
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 01:37 pm
@Val Killmore,
People will never learn. People with guns kill.

Quote:
Gun sales spike amid talk of new gun-control measures

The talk of new gun control measures that has followed Friday's mass shooting in a Newtown, Conn., elementary school has gun owners rushing to the nearest store and picking up new weapons, according to gun store owners and state police background check information. On Saturday, Virginia state police fielded 4,166 requests for background checks, a [...]
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 01:39 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
The White House today indicated President Obama would support legislation that would reinstate the ban on certain types of semi-automatic rifles – known as “the assault weapons ban” — and may support other efforts, such as a proposal to ban high-capacity magazines, in the wake of the deadly massacre in Newtown, Conn.

“He is actively supportive of, for example, Senator Feinstein’s stated intent to revive a piece of legislation that would reinstate the assault weapons ban,” White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters, publicly backing for the first time legislation Feinstein plans to introduce. The White House had previously been reluctant to publicly named any specific action it might support in an effort to prevent future massacres.

“[The President] supports — and would support legislation that addresses the problem of the so-called gun show loophole, and there are other elements of gun law — gun legislation that he could support,” Carney said. “People have talked about high- capacity ammunition clips, for example, and that is something, certainly, that he would be interested in looking at,” he added.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/12/white-house-gets-more-specific-on-gun-control-measures-the-president-might-back/

Getting rid of high-capacity magazines just makes sense. Neither you nor anyone else needs a 30-round clip for self defense or any other reason than wanton murder. Closing the 'gun-show' loophole also makes sense and I sure bet that happens.

I believe the Democrats would dare the already unpopular GOP to oppose them on this issue.

Cycloptichorn
BillRM

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 01:51 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The sad part that is limiting the size of the clip and thereby slowing down the average rate of fire a very very small amount is the only thing that might have a little as in tiny benefits.

Wish like hell however that the efforts would go into far more worthwhile directions as once more I can not see such a reduction in the rate of fire saving one life in a situation such as Newtown.

As far as banning so call assault rifles that is like banning guns that are painted green instead of some other color as for all the good it will do.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 02:14 pm
@BillRM,
Do you call a life a "tiny benefit?"

firefly

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 02:16 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
As I said, you are guilty of a grave atrocity against innocent Americans.

The grave atrocity against innocent Americans was not the previous assault weapons ban, you fool, it was what happened at Sandy Hook last week to these people.

Daniel Barden, 7

Olivia Engel, 6

Josephine Gay, 7

Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 6

Dylan Hockley, 6

Madeleine F. Hsu, 6

Catherine V. Hubbard, 6

Chase Kowalski, 7

Jesse Lewis, 6

James Mattioli, 6

Grace McDonnell, 7

Emilie Parker, 6

Jack Pinto, 6

Noah Pozner, 6

Caroline Previdi, 6

Jessica Rekos, 6

Avielle Richman, 6

Benjamin Wheeler, 6

Allison N. Wyatt, 6

ADULTS

Mary Sherlach, 56

Victoria Soto, 27

Anne Marie Murphy, 52

Lauren Rousseau, 30

Dawn Hochsprung, 47

Rachel Davino, 29

And I'm still waiting for you to tell us why the easily obtainable firearm used to cause those deaths is the currently preferred weapon of choice of mass murderers in this country. What are the attributes of that weapon that would make it the preferred choice of mass murderers, oralloy?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 02:17 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You're wasting your time, this topic always brings out the hysteria in Oralloy.

You are almost certainly right about that, Set. But he is making the case I want him to make for me...so I not only do not want to stop him, I am urging him on.

I call this the "give 'em all the rope they will take" protocol. Wink

Glad we are on the same side on this one.

f.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 02:20 pm
@oralloy,

Quote:
I have this thing about always sticking to the truth.

I think you are not "sticking to the truth" by typing that sentence, Oralloy.
spendius

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 02:20 pm
@fbaezer,
Quote:
In fact, the US is number 28, with a rate of 2.97 per 100,000 people.

Yeah--but it's 2.97 Americans. And you can't count Americans on a par with Hondurans, Salvadorans, Jamaicans and Pakistanis.

The Bureau of Investigative Journalism claims that 160 Pakistani children have been killed in drone attacks in NW Pakistan and such attacks have increased substantially since Mr Bush left office.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 02:25 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Quote:
Re: Frank Apisa (Post 5198999)
oralloy,
Quote:
the Democrats hate the Constitution.

Wow! That's really out of touch with reality. He doesn't even recognize how the GOP has been destroying unions (un-democratic), voter suppression (right to vote protected by our Constitution), and discrimination against gays and lesbians (unequal treatment under our laws).

This guy needs a head exam! He makes a statement without providing any support for it.

And it is worth noting that there are huge conservative and Republican factions primarily in Texas and Alaska who want to take their states out of the Union. They, it could reasonably be argued, hate America and its Constitution.

But for Oralloy, that doesn't count, ci.

You gotta a bit of a kick out of his intransigence...although considering the cost for America and Americans of his kind of philosophy, there is more sadness than humor in his shtick.
spendius

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 02:31 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
the Court acknowledged the Congress' right to regulate firearms under the provisions of Article One, Section Eight.

In which case Congress is responsible for these deaths and all similar ones. Congress knows that there are people in disturbed mental states.

It's a high price for "being lobbied".

I've heard people say that private ownership of guns signifies disturbed mental states.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 02:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
The White House today indicated President Obama would support legislation that would reinstate the ban on certain types of semi-automatic rifles – known as “the assault weapons ban” — and may support other efforts, such as a proposal to ban high-capacity magazines, in the wake of the deadly massacre in Newtown, Conn.

That, according to Oralloy, makes the President a hater of the Constitution and of freedom.

Actually, everybody hates freedom. Some people only think they don't because they have never been exposed to it or even know what it is.
spendius

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 02:48 pm
@spendius,
Did anybody notice that when the President went through the names of the dead he ended with "Alan" and no picture was shown as it was for the others?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 02:50 pm
@spendius,
Actually, I think there were several names where no picture was shown. Apparently some of the families of the kids refused to release pictures.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 02:51 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
One benefits it will have is wiping out all the warehouses of so call assault guns and large amo clips.

One hell of a Christmas gift for the gun Industry worth hundreds of millions if not more.

Here I though that the anti-Obama people was being paranoid in stocking up when Obama was elected and then re-elected.

Lord it seems I was wrong....................
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 02:55 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
from NY Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/owner_puts_sandy_hook_assault_rifle_D1X0FdkHOQh2zCcZ9l3nGL
NEW YORK — The private equity firm Cerberus will sell its stake in a firearms company that produced one of the weapons believed to have been used in the shootings at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., calling it a "watershed event" in the national debate on gun control.

And it appeared investors as a whole were ridding themselves of shares in firearms makers this week.

Shares of Sturm, Ruger & Co. plunged nearly 7 percent in early trading Tuesdsay. Shares of Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. fell more than 9 percent.

From a FB friend.

Quote:
Email to my financial advisor: "I would like to be absolutely sure that none of the funds I am invested in, hold ANY shares of any firearms or ammunitions manufacturers. Including but not limited to Glock, Remington, Smith & Wesson, Bushmaster, Springfield Armory, Taurus, Kimber, Magnum, SIG."
BillRM

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 02:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
Do you call a life a "tiny benefit?"

Once more I do not think it would had save one life as the decrease on the average rate of fire in needing to put another clip in is small as in tiny.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 03:00 pm
@JPB,
Thank for giving me a head up on the stock of the gun makers going down as it seem like a wonderful time to buy in.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 03:09 pm
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

Quote:
from NY Post
http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/owner_puts_sandy_hook_assault_rifle_D1X0FdkHOQh2zCcZ9l3nGL
NEW YORK — The private equity firm Cerberus will sell its stake in a firearms company that produced one of the weapons believed to have been used in the shootings at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn., calling it a "watershed event" in the national debate on gun control.

And it appeared investors as a whole were ridding themselves of shares in firearms makers this week.

Shares of Sturm, Ruger & Co. plunged nearly 7 percent in early trading Tuesdsay. Shares of Smith & Wesson Holding Corp. fell more than 9 percent.

From a FB friend.

Quote:
Email to my financial advisor: "I would like to be absolutely sure that none of the funds I am invested in, hold ANY shares of any firearms or ammunitions manufacturers. Including but not limited to Glock, Remington, Smith & Wesson, Bushmaster, Springfield Armory, Taurus, Kimber, Magnum, SIG."

I work in a building that is almost all brokerages ... the word in the elevator is dump sell dump sell dump sell
Val Killmore

Reply Tue 18 Dec, 2012 03:20 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Very little of the coverage mentions the killer by name, or shows his photo. I think the media is being very careful not to give him a lot of notoriety, in order not to encourage copycats who are after infamy.

I wish that was the case.
Yahoo has decided to have an article expressing opinions of some so-called expert who has no connection to the case at all (Ex-FBI profiler). This is PRECISELY the type of publicity that tragedies like this don't need.
The more news acts like this get, the more likelihood of a copycat event. They should let us know what happened and move on. But, there will be coverage for months... The media fuels these fires, and that's the attention these nutjobs want dead or alive.