Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 04:16 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Since when does "throwing off a government" always equate to "armed rebellion?"

If you can work within the system of that government to change that government then it would not be overthrowing that government any more then going from the articles of confederation to our current constitutional an act of overthrowing the older form of government.

But then you are playing games ...............
BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 04:20 pm
@parados,
Quote:
If one side of an issue results in major tyranny then in most cases the other side of an issue can also result in major tyranny.
One right doesn't trump other rights absolutely.

Of course that is one of the many reasons why such changes should not be done for light reasons and should be reserved for a last resort not the first or second or third resort.

See the outcome of the French revolution for an example of an armed rebellion going very bad.
parados

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 04:24 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
Since when does "throwing off a government" always equate to "armed rebellion?"

If you can work within the system of that government to change that government then it would not be overthrowing that government any more then going from the articles of confederation to our current constitutional an act of overthrowing the older form of government.

But then you are playing games ...............

That still doesn't make"throwing off a government" always equate to "armed rebellion?" I don't think I am the one playing games here Bill.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 04:27 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
If one side of an issue results in major tyranny then in most cases the other side of an issue can also result in major tyranny.
One right doesn't trump other rights absolutely.

Of course that is one of the many reasons why such changes should not be done for light reasons and should be reserved for a last resort not the first or second or third resort.

See the outcome of the French revolution for an example of an armed rebellion going very bad.

And "light reasons" are defined by whom? Obviously you were not one of the French people that felt they needed to overthrow their government and yet you feel you can judge their reasons when you are outside their greivances? One could as easily argue that taxation wasn't much of a reason for the colonies to overthrow British rule.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 05:26 pm
@BillRM,

Quote:
No, you don't have either.
BillRM wrote:

It people like you that are the reason that the safe guard of having a heavily armed population is important in cased the government ever started to declared that you can not read the wall street journal or anything else that expressed opinions that the government does not care for and begin to try to turn the American public into serfs and slaves to the ruling class.

Once more..........

Quote:
That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shown that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security. -

That 's a BEAUTIFUL post, Bill!!!
Kudos !

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 05:31 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
So.. your argument is that we can change government when something upsets us EXCEPT when it is gun ownership? I think you fail to see the gaping holes in your arguments Bill.
BillRM wrote:

Upsets?..........Far more then upsetting would be needed.

Except gun ownership?......... why except gun ownership? as all our freedoms including gun ownership of the population is important and the attempts to disarmed the public would be a first step to making more possible the setting up of a government dictatorship by and for the ruling class.
The 2nd Amendment safeguards the rest of the Constitution.
We need to be able to keep our lowlife employee, government, in line.

David
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 05:39 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Are you referring to the people that you think are the most fit to lead us and are voted into office by you?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 05:42 pm
@reasoning logic,
Quote:
reasoning logic wrote:
Are you referring to the people that you think are the most fit to lead us and are voted into office by you?
Yes; remember: no one is trustworthy,
particularly not holders of public office (of whom I used to be one).

It is human nature for them to desire to aggrandize their own power,
at the expense of personal freedom.

David
parados

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 06:30 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

That is a complete load of tripe David. The 2nd amendment has never been used to safeguard anything in the Constitution.

As a lawyer you should understand that it is the courts that safeguard the Constitution more than anything else.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 06:40 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

Just because you may have seen yourself as not being trust worthy, "you do realize that others may try to hold to a more ethical standard don't you?

Do not get me wrong because I think you are being reasonable to an extent but surly we have advanced enough to place safe guards to protect us from such immoral acts haven't we? At least to some degree?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 06:41 pm
@parados,
DAVID wrote:
parados wrote:
That is a complete load of tripe David.
The 2nd amendment has never been used to safeguard anything in the Constitution.
Perhaps u mis-understood me.
I did not say that the 2nd Amendment had been used for that in the past.
I said that it protects the rest of the Constitution now;
e.g., if Obama tried to take over the country,
declaring an indefinite suspension to any elections,
preserving the status quo, or disbanding the Congress,
we 'd have to decide what to do about it.

parados wrote:
As a lawyer you should understand that it is the courts
that safeguard the Constitution more than anything else.
Jurisdiction is an expression of POWER,
as Patrick Henry knew long ago.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 06:56 pm
@reasoning logic,
DAVID wrote:

reasoning logic wrote:
Just because you may have seen yourself as not being trust worthy,
"you do realize that others may try to hold to a more ethical standard don't you?
The others were less loyal to the Constitution.
I restrained the power of government, for a while.

The future of your grandchildren ( long after my death )
will be infinite and permanent slavery
at the hands of a 1OO% un-limited government: the Borg.

Man will be re-defined as a colony creature,
whose brain is the CEO ( a de facto King like Saddam ).
Human nature renders that inevitable.

Its hopeless.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 07:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
So the 2nd amendment protects us from RW fantasies? I think I am protected from them without a Constitution. Reality has a way of protecting me from such idiotic nonsense.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 07:08 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
So the 2nd amendment protects us from RW fantasies?
It can't happen HERE, right????

parados wrote:
I think I am protected from them without a Constitution.
I respect your right to THINK.
BillRM

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 07:17 pm
@parados,
Quote:
And "light reasons" are defined by whom? Obviously you were not one of the French people that felt they needed to overthrow their government and yet you feel you can judge their reasons when you are outside their greivances? One could as easily argue that taxation wasn't much of a reason for the colonies to overthrow British rule.

History judge them and the results of their revolution just as history had judge us and the results of our revolution.

Somehow a revolution that resulted in a blood bath that in the end turn on it own leaders and lead to Emperor Napoleon and one war after another on European soil that killed millions seems not to be as successful as one that resulted in the US f0ounding.

Footnote the revolution of the colonies had a great deal more behind it then taxes such as the restriction placed on western explansion and using admiral courts base of war ships to try colonies instead of the local courts and so on.

parados

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 07:45 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

parados wrote:
So the 2nd amendment protects us from RW fantasies?
It can't happen HERE, right????

You are more likely to accidentally shoot yourself in the foot. But that would never happen to YOU, right?
parados

Reply Sat 1 Jun, 2013 07:48 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:

History judge them and the results of their revolution just as history had judge us and the results of our revolution.

So in other words you feel there is no valid or invalid reason to overthrow a government until history judges later? What utter nonsense on your part since it invalidates the Declaration verbiage you posted.

BillRM

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 04:45 am
@parados,
Silly person where did I say that?

A people have a right to change any government that they are unhappy with by force if need be as there is no duty to access rulers that they are unhappy with and in their opinions are not meeting their needs.

However after the fact history will judge the wisdom of them changing their rulers.
spendius

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 06:09 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
A people have a right to change any government that they are unhappy with by force if need be as there is no duty to access rulers that they are unhappy with and in their opinions are not meeting their needs.

There are no such things as rights and duties at that level of discourse.
BillRM

Reply Sun 2 Jun, 2013 06:31 am
@spendius,
Quote:
There are no such things as rights and duties at that level of discourse.

Not in the opinion of the US founding fathers.