Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

oralloy

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:06 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
And, right now, the military-type assault weapons are an important source of their profits--and they have an obvious vested interest in not wanting to see such sales curtailed--regardless of any issues of public health or safety.

Nonsense. Harmless cosmetic features like a pistol grip do not make a weapon "military", and do not contribute to profits.

firefly wrote:
BillRM wrote:
Of course Firefly I do not see you as likely caring about solving this problem but are just using it and the dead children as a mean/excuse to take more freedoms from the people.

And you'd have to include both Gen. Stanley McChrystal and Mark Kelly in that vile accusation as well, since both have commented on that massacre of children, and both have now spoken out, loud and clear, calling for action on the problem of gun violence.

Consider both those freaks included.

firefly wrote:
People like Gen. Stanley McChrystal and Mark Kelly have put their lives on the line to serve this country, and, by serving it, defended it's freedoms--including those of the 2nd Amendment.

That does not exempt them from criticism when they openly call to violate the Second Amendment.

(Or when they openly call to ban all hunting rifles, like McChrystal did.)

firefly wrote:
When people, like you, accuse them of using," the dead children as a mean/excuse to take more freedoms from the people," because they are asking for serious efforts to reduce our problems with gun violence, you not only sound like an idiot, you really have no appreciation of the cost of freedom, or appreciation for the efforts of those, the real heros, who defend it for people like you.

Face it, BillRM, you're just a spineless punk, who has been brainwashed by the fear-mongering propaganda of the gun lobby, and you're needlessly worried the big bad government will take away your all guns. And people, like Gen. McChrystal and Mark Kelly, gun owners who aren't afraid to stand up against gun violence, or against the gun lobby, show someone like you up for being the sniveling little twerp you are.

Freedom Haters always engage in childish name-calling when they are prevented from violating people's civil rights.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:07 pm
@firefly,
Yes it was a thoughtful post, thumbs up from me.
oralloy

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:08 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
Oralloy, you are a complete idiot.

You have a big mouth for someone who can't show a single fact that I have wrong.

mysteryman wrote:
Nobody is trying to deny you the freedom to carry or own a gun.

Even if that were true (it isn't), that would not in any way justify violating my Constitutional right to have an assault weapon.

mysteryman wrote:
As a Hunter, I have absolutely no problem with a ban on high capacity magazines. A 5 round magazine is more than enough for the average deer hunter in this country, no matter what caliber you are using.

Five rounds is a bit light for self defense. If not, then it would surely be OK for the police to also be limited to five rounds?

By the way, have you ever heard of varmint hunting? Or do you think that every animal on the planet is a deer? How many rounds do you think varmint hunters use?

mysteryman wrote:
h2o, you are also an idiot.
You and oralloy have attacked anyone on here that disagrees with you. You call people "freedom haters", you ignore and avoid direct questions asked of you, and you are generally making yourselves look like idiots and doing nothing to help your case.

Just because you hate the Constitution, that doesn't mean other people are idiots for defending the Constitution.

mysteryman wrote:
The two of you are classic examples of people who should not be given a CCW permit.

You're quite the Fascist huh? Anyone who dares to defend civil rights should be stripped of those rights?

Too bad for you we have courts that won't let you violate our rights.

mysteryman wrote:
Yes, there are people that are "anti-gun", but I seriously doubt that they are anti second amendment.

Anyone who wants to violate the Second Amendment, is against the Second Amendment.

mysteryman wrote:
Lets ban any magazine of more than 5 rounds.

Unconstitutional.

10 rounds may or may not pass muster with the courts, but a 5 round limit would clearly unconstitutionally hamper self defense.

Yes, I know you hate the Constitution. But too bad. You still have to comply with it.

mysteryman wrote:
There is a common ground for agreement, but we cannot allow the extremists on either side to set the rules for reaching a compromise. The "all or nothing" crowd on both sides of the discussion must be ignored, and cooler heads must prevail.

I note the reality that you are one of those extremists.

And no, on your call to violate the Constitution, there will be no compromise.
oralloy

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:16 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:
firefly wrote:
Thanks, mysteryman, for a really thoughtful post that clearly shows the gun owners here are not all of the same mind or same mind-set.

Yes it was a thoughtful post, thumbs up from me.

Don't be silly. All he really did was spew some childish name-calling at anyone who dares to suggest that we not violate the Constitution.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:18 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
Would you allow police officers to own their own off duty weapons?

No. And they don't. (Do you read my posts?)

Here in the US police officers do carry weapons when they are off duty, and doing so has stopped robberies, killings, and other crimes.

Quote:
What do you want to shoot animals for? I'ts ******* disgusting imo unless deemed necessary by a Minister of State taking responsibility for it.

Why should a govt minister take responsibility for it?
Around here, we hunt deer, wild turkeys, squirrels, rabbits, and other game.
We eat what we kill, and it helps control the animal population so they dont starve in the wintertime.
I realize that you are from the UK, where it is a tradition that the game doesnt belong to anyone, and I know that you either dont eat meat or you have no idea where it comes from.

You are one of those all or nothing people I mentioned, and there is no reasoning with you about the subject.
However, you are in the minority, so while your opinion is noted,
I dont think it will have much bearing on the issue here in the US.
Quote:

And I do have faith in our government to protect me although I am aware it is not 100%. I'm happy with that. And so it the vast bulk of my fellow citizens.

If that works for you, fantastic.
However, since here in the US the police are not responsible for the safety of the individual, I prefer to be responsible for my own safety.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:18 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
mysteryman wrote:
The two of you are classic examples of people who should not be given a CCW permit.

They seems to be against the first as well as the second amendment.
raprap

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:20 pm
@mysteryman,
Kudos--great and too the point. Hunters that use high capacity magazines are considered lazy hunters. When I'm in the woods and hear several cracks that seem to come from a semiautomatic, I take it as a clue to go home. I don't want to be in the woods with lazy hunters--they tend to be a unnecessary hazard.

BTW in my neck of the woods (Eastern Kentucky) varmit humters prefer bolt action rifles, but then most have grown up with rifles and pride themselves on their marksmanship.

Rap
mysteryman

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:21 pm
I must have said something right.
I am now being attacked by the extremists on both sides.
Oh well, such is life.
BillRM

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:21 pm
@oralloy,
m
Quote:
ysteryman wrote:

Unconstitutional.

10 rounds may or may not pass muster with the courts, but a 5 round limit would clearly unconstitutionally hamper self defense.

We all will have to change out to heavy hunting caliber rounds no more light assault type rounds.
mysteryman

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:23 pm
@raprap,
I live in western KY, along the Ohio river.
Here we use bolt action rifles also, but for deer the majority of hunters will use a 5 round magazine.
Anything more than that is a waste of time.
If you need more than 5 rounds to bring down a deer you shouldnt be hunting.
firefly

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:30 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Even if that were true (it isn't), that would not in any way justify violating my Constitutional right to have an assault weapon.

What Constitutional right to own an assault weapon?

Justice Scalia has clearly said that the rights of the Second Amendment are not unlimited regarding the possession of all possible weapons.

If they required mental health testing/evaluation/screening, before allowing the purchase of firearms, you'd never pass it.

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:32 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
If they required mental health testing/evaluation/screening, before allowing the purchase of firearms, you'd never pass it.
chuckle chuckle...
firefly

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:38 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
They seems to be against the first as well as the second amendment.

So are you if you don't think physicians, including psychiatrists, should be allowed to ask their patients about gun ownership or guns in the home. Doctors have First Amendment rights, just like everyone else, and these should not be resistricted in their confidential doctor/patient relationships, or in any other sphere of their lives. Doctors have a professional obligation to promote health and safety and that may involve inquiries about access to firearms--particularly if they are treating those with mental disorders or emotional problems.

And, in the state in which you live, they are threatening physicians with fines, and even jail time, for asking such questions regarding gun ownership or guns in the home. That violates the First Amendment rights of doctors.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:38 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
I must have said something right.
I am now being attacked by the extremists on both sides.
Oh well, such is life.

Our defense of civil rights does not mean we share your extremism.
oralloy

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:40 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
oralloy wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Unconstitutional.

We all will have to change out to heavy hunting caliber rounds no more light assault type rounds.

That'll be happening even with a 10 round limit, if such passes.

Of course, "heavy" is relative. When I hear heavy I think elephant gun. But the .308 is going to get a lot more popular if there is a 10 round limit. The only people who will keep using the .223 are the varmint hunters.

Anyone who doesn't like the recoil of the .308 can just re-barrel their gun for .260 Remington (which is the .308 necked down to 6.5mm).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.260_Remington

10 rounds of .308 or .260 will do someone a lot more good than 10 rounds of .223.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:41 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

1 deer yes, 5 deer in one day no
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:42 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

How many rounds does it take you to bring down 20 varmints?

And have you ever heard of something called "self defense"? Perhaps you should look it up.

(Here's a thought: Maybe you could look things up and learn what you are talking about *before* you open your mouth.)
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:44 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
oralloy wrote:

What Constitutional right to own an assault weapon?

There is no legitimate reason for banning harmless cosmetic features like a pistol grip. Therefore doing so is a violation of Rational Basis Review.

firefly wrote:

You trash shouldn't run around falsely accusing your betters of your own mental incompetence.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:45 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

Its time for me to jump in here.

Who invited this ******* idiot to jump in?

Special needs levity is so rare these days
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 03:46 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:
Quote:

chuckle chuckle...

Freedom Haters may be too stupid to say anything intelligent, but at least they can manage childish insults.
0 Replies