Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:12 am
@hingehead,
What does any of this have to do with the school shooting?
Is Izzy saying AJ & Gore are broadcasting messages to the mentally ill?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:28 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
Let's all agree that guns are the most effective way of killing someone.
Can you at least do that?

No IEDs are more effective and safer for the murderer then guns in many situations.

Compounds for which you can buy at most drug stores, pool supply stores and hardware stores with maybe a radio shack thrown in.

Details plans can be found on the internet by way of google.

Are you saying humans purposely don't use the most effictive way to kill?

I love the argument that it's safer for the murderer. No one would ever mix chemicals wrong and blow themselves up.
Let's see.. Go to one store and buying a gun and bullets .. load gun ... find person and kill
OR
Googling how to build bomb. Going to store or several stores to buy items, spending time building the bomb. Be careful to not blow self up. Build trigger device to control the when the bomb explodes, then find a place to put the IED so it kills the intended target and no one finds it before that happens.

I think you are confused about how effective an IED is for a normal person compared to a gun. Simply look at the killer in Aurora. He killed several with guns. Killed none with the bombs he set.
parados

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:31 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

We've seen school bombings... the Columbine bombs failed to go off

Failure for the bombs to go off is NOT a bombing...

I suppose you can shoot someone if your gun doesn't go off.
parados

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:32 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

I referenced two different bombing incidents.
The biggest school attack body count in the US resulted from a dynamite bomb, look it up.

The biggest bombing was prior to control of dynamite.

Since we have not had school bombings with dynamite since then, wouldn't that show you that controlling who can purchase an item helps prevent it's use?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:33 am
@parados,
It's a failed bombing attempt, what's your point?
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:33 am
@parados,

How many bombs have you built thus far?

What are you planning to do with your homemade bombs?

Do you prefer the standard pipe bomb or are you building something extra special?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:37 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

It's a failed bombing attempt, what's your point?
Failed bombing attempts are NOT an effective way of killing anyone. In fact it would be highly INEFFECTIVE.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:39 am
@parados,

You need to be as effective as you possibly can don't you?

Are you wanting to be the next big news story?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:40 am
So to recap...
The gun nuts here all agree that bombs are more effective than guns when it comes to killing someone.
They all agree that anyone can easily build a bomb and the bomb is safer for the person using the bomb than a gun is.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:41 am
@parados,
Everyone agrees that you are a nut.
parados

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:43 am
@parados,
When threatened by someone that you think may kill you, wouldn't you want the most effective way to kill that person before they kill you?

I think I would.

So guns are not the most effective way. Bombs are. Yet I don't see anyone carrying a bomb for self defense. I wonder why that is.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:45 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Meanwhile, here in the USA, how many people have died by gunshot since Newtown?

Joe(do something, gun nuts.)Nation
In the spirit of seatbelt usage,
we r trying to encourage potential future victims
to defensively arm themselves,
but we do not always succeed in convincing them b4 its too late.

David
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:45 am
@H2O MAN,
Why is a gun a better weapon to carry than a bomb Spurt. Guns are less effective, don't you agree?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:48 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Why is a gun a better weapon to carry than a bomb Spurt.
Guns are less effective, don't you agree?
Boms r too bulky n clumsey, tho faster to make.
H2O MAN

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:50 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

When threatened by someone that you think may kill you, wouldn't you want the most effective way to kill that person before they kill you?

I just dial 911 and wait patiently for the government to protect me from armed criminals with evil intentions.

0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:51 am
@OmSigDAVID,
So you think guns are better than bombs. Guns are more effective and efficient for killing a person.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:54 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

Why is a gun a better weapon to carry than a bomb ... Guns are less effective, don't you agree?

parados wrote:

So you think guns are better than bombs. Guns are more effective and efficient for killing a person.

You worry me para, just how many people do you plan to kill?

Just between you and me, when & where?

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 11:57 am

Someone of authority needs to pay parados a visit and check out the situation.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 12:06 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
They'd be just as dead if they were murdered with knives.

And your silly statement is still just as wrong no matter how many times you repeat it.

People who are killed with knives are less dead than people killed with guns?

parados wrote:
Some simple facts about homicide that are true in the US and true worldwide.
Guns kill more people than knives.
Guns kill more people than blunt objects
In the majority of worldwide data sets Guns kill more people than all other ways combined.

Interesting trivia, but I still think they'd be just as dead if they were killed without a gun.
firefly

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2013 12:06 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Once more the most "successful" killings of school children in the US is held by a bombing not by firearms/

And, once more, we have considerably more school-age children being killed and wounded in this country, rather constantly, as the result of gun violence, and not as the result of bombs.

You, and the other gun-lobby groupies, posting in this thread have to resort to denying reality because you have no other option when you try to assert that the prevalence of guns, coupled with our lax gun laws, does not have a destructive effect on public health and safety in our country. If you continue to deny reality, you will continue to have nothing to contribute to a discussion of how to reduce our national problem with gun violence.

Fortunately, other, more responsible, gun owners are now raising their voices, and opening their wallets, in order to counter-act the self-serving interests of the NRA/gun manufacturers lobby that has hampered attempts at better gun control and regulation, and that has stymied research into the entire issue of gun violence on the part of the CDC. Unlike you, these more responsible gun owners recognize that gun violence is not a "gun rights" or 2nd Amendment issue--gun violence is a public health and safety issue--just as the spread of a harmful disease is a public health and safety issue--and it must be addressed with governmental actions to better protect the general welfare of our populace.

This is no longer the "pro-gun" vs the "anti-gun" factions, because the people we are hearing from now, and who are demanding change, like Gen. Stanley McChrystal, and Mark Kelly and Gabrielle Giffords, are people who own guns, and have experience with guns, yet recognize the need to take action to address our problem with gun violence.
To call such people "anti-gun" or "anti-gun rights" would just be absurd.
Quote:
Mark Kelly and Gabrielle Giffords could be considered the ultimate Washington power couple of the 21st century. She's a former red-state Democratic congresswoman, a gun owner and a defender of the Second Amendment. Her ex-astronaut husband is a combat war veteran and the son of retired police officers....

Accusing political leaders of being afraid and of doing nothing, they've formed a political action committee against what they call an "ideological fringe" that uses "big money" to "cow Congress into submission."...

"On issues like assault weapons and high-capacity magazines and universal background checks, we differ with the (National Rifle Association) leadership," Kelly said. "But in fact, I think a lot of our positions on this subject are much in line with the NRA membership."
http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/12/us/kelly-giffords-brady-gun-control/index.html

Responsible gun owners understand that rights confer responsibilities--and one of those responsibilities is to protect others from the violent harm that firearms can inflict on the population, and better controlling the purchasing of such weapons, and certain types of ammunition, is one way to accomplish that. And the influence of gun owners, like Kelly and Giffords, and their new PAC, Americans For Responsible Solutions, will now offer other gun owners, as well as non-gun owners, a vehicle to accomplish such aims. And this is the kind of effort that may effect an attitudinal change on the part of lawmakers that leads to more effective solutions to the problem of gun violence.

And, the more you babble about other ways people can be killed, or try to deny the country's problems with gun violence, the more foolish and out-of-touch you sound--particularly when compared to realistic and responsible gun owners, like Kelly and Giffords. You are simply left sounding rather silly. And sounding silly doesn't usually convince anyone of anything.