Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:24 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Hardly idiotic. I'm not familiar with the diabetes case, but the automobile comparison is quite useful when the freedom haters start babbling about "saving lives".

Oh, you're so right about the comparison being "useful" ! Idiotic, but very useful for a propaganda freak like you,

You might want to try to distinguish truth from propaganda. The fact that I tell the truth does not mean I espouse propaganda.

And no. Hardly idiotic. Banning guns would save hardly any lives. Banning cars would save untold multitudes. Therefore it is reasonable to bring it up whenever a freedom hater suggests that saving lives is a good reason to ban guns.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
spouting your vitriolic venom at anyone in disagreement with your views.

There's that "disagreement" term again. Another euphemism for "civil rights violation"??

Lustig Andrei wrote:
You're a piece of work, oralloy, that gets more and more unpleasant as time goes on. You'll soon be joining JTT on my list of people who wear such rigid blinders that normal conversation with them becomes impossible.

JTT is not such a bad guy. I mainly wish he'd give up the name-calling.

I do think he is wrong on a lot of facts, but being wrong does not make someone a bad person.

And as for me, look, I'm not going to stop adhering to the truth. I'm just not. If you're ever looking for someone to deny reality, I'm not the one for the job.

And I'm also not going to accept a blatant violation of our Constitutional rights. Freedom is just too important to me.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:31 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Is it not a strange part of human nature that if those children had been the victims of a tornado there would have been no 24 hr coverage for days or the President dropping everything to go for a payer service and so on.

Maybe because the cold-blooded murder of 20 children, all of whom were hit with multiple bullets, is an exceptionally heinous crime that jolts and saddens an entire nation, as opposed to the acts of nature that also result in deaths.

What's strange is that you can't see the difference between the horrible, deliberate slaughter of children, and other causes of death due to things beyond human control.
oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:37 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
Don't insult JTT with a comparison to oralloy. JTT is far more intelligent and thoughtful than oralloy.

Not physically possible for anyone to be smarter than me. (Not saying JTT isn't smart though.)

You, Firefly, on the other hand. You're about as stupid as a fencepost.

firefly wrote:
JTT is also much more connected to reality than oralloy is,

Actually no. He gets a lot of facts wrong about the supposed evils of the US.

firefly wrote:
he seems to be living in his own little bubble that does not allow information to seep through. He's not just rigid, he's incapable of learning or absorbing new information,

In other words, I reject your silly lies.

firefly wrote:
and his comebacks are extremely mindless and juvenile.

You get the response your posts deserve. If you were intelligent or honest (or better yet, both), you might come up with something deserving of a better response.

firefly wrote:
He's incapable of a discussion.

Hardly. I just bring facts to the discussion, and you find facts inconvenient because they always get in the way of your lies.

firefly wrote:
oralloy is the perfect dupe for the NRA propaganda--he soaks it up like mother's milk.

Reality is hardly propaganda. But nice complement to the NRA that you'd think reality was their propaganda.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:38 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Maybe because the cold-blooded murder of 20 children, all of whom were hit with multiple bullets, is an exceptionally heinous crime that jolts and saddens an entire nation,

A sad sad day, to be sure, FF. How come 500,000 thousand Iraqi kids killed by the same heinous crimes fails to jolt or sadden?

Quote:
What's strange is that you can't see the difference between the horrible, deliberate slaughter of children, and other causes of death due to things beyond human control.

Yeah, Bill is a real asshole, ain't he, Firefly?
oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:48 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Is it not a strange part of human nature that if those children had been the victims of a tornado there would have been no 24 hr coverage for days or the President dropping everything to go for a payer service and so on.

From the beginning I had no doubt that Obama was trying to use this as a springboard to assault the Constitution from. But really, I doubt it's going anywhere.

It's one thing for freedom haters to get all riled up on the internet. But it is quite another for every Democratic congressman in a swing district to get themselves voted out of office.

And if Obama starts making too much noise about assault weapons, all we need to do is have Congress ratchet up the "gun walking" scandal.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:51 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
How come 500,000 thousand Iraqi kids killed by the same heinous crimes fails to jolt or sadden?

Mostly because we do not accept the claim that that many kids were killed, and certainly not as a result of US actions.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 07:02 pm
@firefly,
Quote:

Sorry the kids would had been just as dead by a so call act of god as by an act of a man so no I do not see a lot of differences as far as the lost is concern and the pain to the families are concern.

An of course we have some control over acts of nature/gods as must as by acts of a man.

School buildings being build better, shelter areas inside schools, better systems of tornado alert and so on.

In the case of an at of a man a few arm security guard on campuses should cover it.

It would also be wise not to spend days putting the idea that you can get fame by killings children into unstable and sick men mind.

I wonder how many future killings are we sitting in motion by this wall to wall coverage.
Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 07:18 pm
@firefly,
Out of curiosity, have you been seeing a trend yet that certain people cannot grasp basic concepts?
McGentrix

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 07:19 pm
@BillRM,
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/374051_286633548113530_1022353363_n.jpg

Saw this and thought of many in this thread.
Ragman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 07:23 pm
@McGentrix,
The problem with that analogy is that it fails the logic test. Owning and using a car is not on a parallel to gun ownership. A car is a mode of transportation that in this day and age is an essential in most areas for many people to work. Cars keep the economy moving. That is not true about gun ownership and even less true about assault rifles.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 07:32 pm
@McGentrix,
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list
oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 07:37 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
Out of curiosity, have you been seeing a trend yet that certain people cannot grasp basic concepts?

Like your failure to understand civil rights?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 07:38 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
McGentrix wrote:

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/374051_286633548113530_1022353363_n.jpg

Saw this and thought of many in this thread.

The problem with that analogy is that it fails the logic test.

Nonsense. There is no logic failure in his point. The logic failure is in your own position, a logic failure which his point illustrates.

Ragman wrote:
Owning and using a car is not on a parallel to gun ownership. A car is a mode of transportation that in this day and age is an essential in most areas for many people to work. Cars keep the economy moving. That is not true about gun ownership and even less true about assault rifles.

The Constitution protects our right to have assault weapons.

That is not true of cars, and even less true of trucks.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 07:43 pm
@oralloy,
LOL... Oh, so a single shot semi automatic is the same as one that holds 16 bullets? Or not?

Does a semi automatic that holds 3 bullets have the same capabilities as one that holds 50?

On one hand you want to argue that the number of bullets a gun can hold doesn't matter but now you do want to argue it affects something? What does it affect?
oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 07:44 pm
@ehBeth,

Quote:
% of homicides by firearm
Number of homicides by firearm
Homicide by firearm rate per 100,000 pop

Interesting trivia. But murder victims are just as dead whether they are killed with knives or guns or any other form of weapon.

If someone is killed with a gun it doesn't make them "more dead" or anything.
parados

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 07:49 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
Well first let's address your bad logic. You made a vague statement about "disagreeing". I merely made a supposition as to the ultimate nature of that vague statement.

In other words, you created a strawman. Thanks for the admission.

Quote:
There is no hyperbole involved, even if I couldn't come up with a specific example, since your vague statement about "disagreeing" could very well encompass such civil rights violations (especially given the long history of Second Amendment violations being couched in such vague language).

Since you think my statement is vague then it is clearly hyperbole to assume it means something so clear to you. Since you want to argue that vague language has violated your constitutional rights, give us a clear example of that. Cite the vague law that you think violated the Constitution. Then explain why you think there can be restrictions on voting and speech but none on guns. Or do you think that the US constitution allows some restrictions?
oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 07:51 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
LOL... Oh, so a single shot semi automatic is the same as one that holds 16 bullets? Or not?

What in the world is a single shot semi automatic???

parados wrote:
Does a semi automatic that holds 3 bullets have the same capabilities as one that holds 50?

No.

parados wrote:
On one hand you want to argue that the number of bullets a gun can hold doesn't matter

I do???

parados wrote:
but now you do want to argue it affects something? What does it affect?

It affects the number of times it can be fired before reloading.
parados

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 07:52 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:

Nonsense. The fact that some restrictions are allowed does not in any way mean that it is not outrageous to go way beyond what is allowed and commit grievous violations of people's Constitutional rights.

And there is more hyperbole from you. What grievous violation are you referring to? Which court has called it a grievous violation? Courts are the ones that decide issues. They often weigh things and it might be a close call on a 5-4 vote but that is not evidence of a grievous violation. It is evidence of a narrow disagreement about constitutional issues but no reasonable person would refer to that as a grievous violation. Only a person interested in strawmen and hyperbole would make the statements you make.
parados

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 08:06 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
The article have a nice list of the tornadoes deaths but I have trouble posting it however up to 69 students at one time had been kill in schools by a tornado hits.

OMG... You mean they didn't do 24 hour news coverage of the Tornado in 1925? What the **** was wrong with Fox News back then? For that matter where were CBS, NBC and ABC TV?

I think you need to find something else to complain about Bill. You are only making yourself look more and more out of touch with reality.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 08:08 pm
@oralloy,
Oh, so the number of bullets a gun holds is a test of how effective the gun is at killing?