Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:07 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:
When armies go to war, their weapon of choice are assault rifles or an equiv.

They prefer full auto weapons (or at least 3 round bursts) over semi-autos.

Ragman wrote:
They leave their knives at home.

Have you ever considered telling the truth?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:14 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
BillRM wrote:
Do you think that rifles with the name of an assault in them have inherently larger magazines in them then other semi-auto rifle or have a faster rate of fire or what?

So, the military went away from the M-1 because the M-16 provided no improvement? I suggest we go back the M-1 since it is cheaper if you want to argue their is no difference in the 2.

There is an effective difference between the two, but the pistol grip does not play any part in that difference.

The M1 cheaper? Not necessarily.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:17 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
When it kills 27 people in 2 minutes it is.

So a sword is a weapon of mass destruction as a Japanese gentleman in the 1950s killed most of his small village in one night.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:18 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Feel free to try to point out anything I'm wrong about.

Let's start with this...

Quote:
A gun is not a weapon of mass destruction.

When it kills 27 people in 2 minutes it is.

No it isn't.

firefly wrote:
And, you're wrong about such a great many things,

Hardly.

firefly wrote:
I'd be here all day listing them.

You wouldn't be capable of listing anything even if I actually did get something wrong.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:19 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
We have no idea if he suffered from a "mental illness".

LOL and I mean LOL............
firefly

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:28 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
An assault weapon is hardly a "war machine". And the Constitution protects our right to have them.

No, you do not have a Constitutional right to possess any and all types of assault weapons.

The state of Connecticut, for instance, bans possession of assault weapons, with a few exceptions.

This is Connecticut law on that issue.
Quote:
ASSAULT WEAPONS

By law, it is illegal for anyone to (1) possess assault weapons, unless he or she possessed the weapon before October 1, 1993, registered it with DPS before October 1, 1994, and received a DPS certificate of

possession for it; or (2) sell, transfer, distribute, or transport assault weapons (CGS § 53-202b). (The definition of assault weapons is highly technical; see CGS § 53-202a.)

The law (1) exempts from the assault weapon ban law enforcement officers, correction officials, and military and naval personnel discharging their official duties and (2) allows estate executors and administrators to possess registered estate weapons under probate court orders (CGS § 53-202c). Also, anyone, except a member of the military, who moves into Connecticut with a lawful assault weapon has 90 days to (1) render it permanently inoperable, (2) sell it to a licensed gun dealer, or (3) take it out of state. Members of the military who move to Connecticut, after October 1, 1994, have 90 days to get a certificate of possession for any legally possessed assault weapon (CGS §§ 53-202d(b)).
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2007/rpt/2007-R-0369.htm

And this is how Connecticut defines "assault weapon".

Quote:

Connecticut General Statutes 53-202a - Assault weapons: Definition Connecticut General Statutes > Title 53 > Chapter 943 > § 53-202a - Assault weapons: Definition

Current as of: 2009

Check for updates

(a) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, "assault weapon" means:

(1) Any selective-fire firearm capable of fully automatic, semiautomatic or burst fire at the option of the user or any of the following specified semiautomatic firearms: Algimec Agmi; Armalite AR-180; Australian Automatic Arms SAP Pistol; Auto-Ordnance Thompson type; Avtomat Kalashnikov AK-47 type; Barrett Light-Fifty model 82A1; Beretta AR-70; Bushmaster Auto Rifle and Auto Pistol; Calico models M-900, M-950 and 100-P; Chartered Industries of Singapore SR-88; Colt AR-15 and Sporter; Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max-1 and Max-2; Encom MK-IV, MP-9 and MP-45; Fabrique Nationale FN/FAL, FN/LAR, or FN/FNC; FAMAS MAS 223; Feather AT-9 and Mini-AT; Federal XC-900 and XC-450; Franchi SPAS-12 and LAW-12; Galil AR and ARM; Goncz High-Tech Carbine and High-Tech Long Pistol; Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, HK-94 and SP-89; Holmes MP-83; MAC-10, MAC-11 and MAC-11 Carbine type; Intratec TEC-9 and Scorpion; Iver Johnson Enforcer model 3000; Ruger Mini-14/5F folding stock model only; Scarab Skorpion; SIG 57 AMT and 500 series; Spectre Auto Carbine and Auto Pistol; Springfield Armory BM59, SAR-48 and G-3; Sterling MK-6 and MK-7; Steyr AUG; Street Sweeper and Striker 12 revolving cylinder shotguns; USAS-12; UZI Carbine, Mini-Carbine and Pistol; Weaver Arms Nighthawk; Wilkinson "Linda" Pistol;

(2) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (1) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person;

(3) Any semiautomatic firearm not listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection that meets the following criteria:

(A) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A bayonet mount;

(iv) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) A grenade launcher; or

(B) A semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least two of the following:

(i) An ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;

(ii) A threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip or silencer;

(iii) A shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;

(iv) A manufactured weight of fifty ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and

(v) A semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; or

(C) A semiautomatic shotgun that has at least two of the following:

(i) A folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) A fixed magazine capacity in excess of five rounds; and

(iv) An ability to accept a detachable magazine; or

(4) A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon, as defined in subdivision (3) of this subsection, may be rapidly assembled if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

(b) As used in this section and sections 53-202b to 53-202k, inclusive, the term "assault weapon" does not include any firearm modified to render it permanently inoperable.
http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/connecticut/ct-laws/connecticut_statutes_53-202a

farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:28 pm
@BillRM,
These types of discussions are usually to no avail here. When someone starts posting idiotic comparisons of shootings to diabetes deaths and auto crashes, and denying that assault rifles are weapons of mass destruction (IN A POD OF UNARMED CIVILIANS) , then we are blowin smoke up each others asses.

BillRM

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:40 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
denying that assault rifles are weapons of mass destruction

S0 a pound of gunpower in a pipe is a weapon of mass destruction as such devices had killed as many or more people then the 27 number so far given.

Next by how you wish to define the terms weapons of mass destruction most any modern rifle is a weapon of mass destruction unless you can tell me how a non assault label rifles can not kill in the same manner as a so call assault rifle.
oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:41 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
When you freedom haters get called on your efforts to violate civil rights, that is neither baseless nor hyperbole.

Then tell us what specifically you are referring to - "outrageous proposals to violate our Constitutional rights"

Since you can't provide any outrageous proposal that exists your statement is not only baseless but hyperbole of the worst sort.

Well first let's address your bad logic. You made a vague statement about "disagreeing". I merely made a supposition as to the ultimate nature of that vague statement.

There is no hyperbole involved, even if I couldn't come up with a specific example, since your vague statement about "disagreeing" could very well encompass such civil rights violations (especially given the long history of Second Amendment violations being couched in such vague language).

But regardless, I can in fact point to an outrageous proposal to violate our rights: There have been plenty of proposals here for unconstitutional bans on assault weapons.

So there's an example of an outrageous proposal to violate our rights.

parados wrote:
Since you can actually provide us with an outrageous proposal that violates the constitution then I would suggest you are wrong.

Did you mean "can't"?

Regardless, I did just point out an outrageous proposal to violate our rights, and I'm not wrong.

parados wrote:
Clearly the Constitution allows for restrictions on rights as I have already pointed out. Unless you are willing to argue that no restrictions are allowed on speech or voting, then your argument about "outrageous proposals" is complete hogwash.

Nonsense. The fact that some restrictions are allowed does not in any way mean that it is not outrageous to go way beyond what is allowed and commit grievous violations of people's Constitutional rights.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:44 pm
@farmerman,
Someone like Oralloy has no intention or desire of having a rational discussion. (And he's not alone, of course.) But Oalloy is an avid propagandist for the party line, smooth as all hell and able to call rational people "freedom haters" without batting an eyelash. What a magnificent Communist stooge he would have made! It's a shame the Soviet Union collapsed; Oralloy would have been a perfect propagandist.
BillRM

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:51 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
What a magnificent Communist stooge he would have made! It's a shame the Soviet Union collapsed; Oralloy would have been a perfect propagandist.

I never knew with all the history books I had read that the USSR was for it citizens to be arm and was pro-gun rights.
oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:52 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
oralloy wrote:
An assault weapon is hardly a "war machine". And the Constitution protects our right to have them.

No, you do not have a Constitutional right to possess any and all types of assault weapons.

Constitution says I have the right to have the ones you're trying to ban.

firefly wrote:
The state of Connecticut, for instance, bans possession of assault weapons, with a few exceptions.

An unconstitutional law that will be struck down within 10 years.

They'll likely regret not having severability built in to that monstrosity.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:55 pm
@BillRM,
Has absolutely nothing whatever to do with what I said. Thnx for muddling the issue again, Bill.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 05:59 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
These types of discussions are usually to no avail here. When someone starts posting idiotic comparisons of shootings to diabetes deaths and auto crashes,

Hardly idiotic. I'm not familiar with the diabetes case, but the automobile comparison is quite useful when the freedom haters start babbling about "saving lives".

farmerman wrote:
and denying that assault rifles are weapons of mass destruction (IN A POD OF UNARMED CIVILIANS) , then we are blowin smoke up each others asses.

Come now. You know very well they aren't WMD.

If they are WMD, then we just justified the 2003 invasion of Iraq, because that would mean that half the population of Iraq was in possession of WMD.
spendius

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:06 pm
@oralloy,
The NRA is a busted flush. On its own argument those kids should have been packing. Hairy arsed blokes with little dicks wanting to go bang-bang to compensate being manipulated for profit and the protection they demand from their fellow citizens they deny to the kids.

0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:06 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:
Hardly idiotic. I'm not familiar with the diabetes case, but the automobile comparison is quite useful when the freedom haters start babbling about "saving lives".

Oh, you're so right about the comparison being "useful" ! Idiotic, but very useful for a propaganda freak like you, spouting your vitriolic venom at anyone in disagreement with your views. You're a piece of work, oralloy, that gets more and more unpleasant as time goes on. You'll soon be joining JTT on my list of people who wear such rigid blinders that normal conversation with them becomes impossible. You're on opposite ends of the spectrum with JTT but both of you employ the exact same methods. Kind of like Hitler and Stalin.
oralloy

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:08 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
Someone like Oralloy has no intention or desire of having a rational discussion.

Why, because I refuse to accept civil rights violations? Because I insist on sticking to facts?

Lustig Andrei wrote:
But Oalloy is an avid propagandist for the party line,

I don't necessarily stick to a party line (if I'm even aware of it).

I just stick to facts and reality, and strive always to support civil rights and freedom.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
smooth as all hell

Thanks. Not sure I deserve that complement, but cool. Thanks.

(It may just seem that way because I always stick to the truth, so there is little opportunity to challenge me.)

Lustig Andrei wrote:
and able to call rational people "freedom haters" without batting an eyelash.

Many freedom haters are not all that rational. But a few are. And yes, if a rational person hates our freedom, they are indeed a freedom hater.

Lustig Andrei wrote:
What a magnificent Communist stooge he would have made! It's a shame the Soviet Union collapsed; Oralloy would have been a perfect propagandist.

Unlikely I'd be any good at that, as I always stick to the truth.
spendius

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:21 pm
@oralloy,
The truth is that millions of people are crying and are not consolable.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:21 pm
@oralloy,
Is it not a strange part of human nature that if those children had been the victims of a tornado there would have been no 24 hr coverage for days or the President dropping everything to go for a payer service and so on.

Yes the lost to the families and the community would be the same.

The article have a nice list of the tornadoes deaths but I have trouble posting it however up to 69 students at one time had been kill in schools by a tornado hits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tornado-related_deaths_at_schools

From 1884-2007, there were 45 tornadoes with school fatalities in the United States. These tornadoes killed 271 (not including the 9 from the probable downburst in New York state

firefly

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2012 06:23 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Don't insult JTT with a comparison to oralloy. JTT is far more intelligent and thoughtful than oralloy. JTT is also much more connected to reality than oralloy is, he seems to be living in his own little bubble that does not allow information to seep through. He's not just rigid, he's incapable of learning or absorbing new information, and his comebacks are extremely mindless and juvenile. He's incapable of a discussion. It really makes more sense to ignore him.

oralloy is the perfect dupe for the NRA propaganda--he soaks it up like mother's milk.