Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

parados

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 06:33 pm
@BillRM,
The sky marshall program started in 1968. It worked really well in 2001, didn't it?
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 06:36 pm
@Val Killmore,
Quote:
You forgot another method to prevent children being killed by guns, which is to get rid of all biological adults.

Except that, in this country, we have children shooting, and killing, each other with guns.

We have had elementary school children bring loaded guns to school.

We have a gun fetish in this country--look how BillRM keeps referring to the 300 million guns in circulation. The least we can do, to try to stem the tide of gun violence in this country is to have better, and tighter, regulations and controls over these guns. And I do think we will move toward that.

oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 06:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
you OFTEN use hyperbole...

Liar.

Frank Apisa wrote:
Yes, when compared with the number of people alive on the planet, you do call relatively few people liars. But compared with the number of people with whom you interact in this forum, you call relatively MANY liars. And it does seem you do call more people liars than anyone else in the forum

Nope. I call few people here liars.

(Most of the people here are far more honest than you are.)

Frank Apisa wrote:
Actually, you have no qualms about calling anyone a liar just because y0u feel like calling them a liar.

I don't call anyone a liar unless they actually lie.
oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 06:47 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
There is no legitimate reason to demand ID for voting.

Sure there is. We need to make sure the Democrats can't cheat.
oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 06:48 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:
So.... Every time you want to carry your gun outside your home you must FIRST present a valid ID to a government official. That means EVERY TIME you want to do it. Not just when you register to carry a gun.

Best of luck getting that one past the NRA.

The last time I checked the NRA has nothing to do with who decides what is constitutional.

They have an awful lot to do with which laws are passed by the House of Representatives.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 06:49 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
No. People get semi-autos because:

a) they are more effective for self defense

b) because they are easier when firing lots of rounds (varmint hunting for example)

c) they reduce recoil

I'm sure there are other reasons too. But those are three big ones.

Damn.... I thought you said those features were merely cosmetic. Now you want to argue that they do have an effect?

No. I've never said that being semi-auto was a cosmetic feature.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 06:49 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

parados wrote:

Oh... so you are willing to violate the US Constitution as long as it benefits you. Thanks for clearing that up that you really care little about the Constitution but only about how you get to benefit.
oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 06:50 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Are you going to make the same argument that oralloy does? The argument that shows you have no clue what the law was?

Feel free to try to show any errors on my part.
oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 06:51 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
We need to be able to trace the ownership of these guns.

Like I explained before, we already can.
parados

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 06:54 pm
@oralloy,
Let me ask you oralloy: Did the assault weapons law ban pistol grips?
oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 07:04 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
BillRM wrote:
Are those people any less dead by not being killed by firearms?

We're not discussing all ways that people can die or be killed, dumb-dumb.

Name-calling won't change the fact that people killed with knives are just as dead as people killed with guns.

firefly wrote:
We're discussing gun violence--the needless, senseless deaths caused by guns every day in this country.

Hardly "caused" by guns. They'd be just as dead if they were killed with knives.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 07:07 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Forget about arming other people - the research shows that just leads to more deaths.

I dispute this.

ehBeth wrote:
Or are you like Oralloy and prefer dead children to any form of gun control?

I do not accept the premise that lack of gun control leads to more dead children. However, what I oppose is violation of the Constitution. That is not necessarily opposition to all gun control.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 07:08 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
oralloy wrote:
Foofie wrote:
It is a serious subject, and I would wonder what the scenario might be that citizens need a semi-automatic weapon, as part of a gun "collection"?

Need is irrelevant. People have the right to have them.

Foofie wrote:
However, claiming that guns should be everyone's right may just be wrong, since there are urban areas that would be worse off with lax gun laws, in my opinion.

The Constitution applies to everyone equally.

I take it you love all your children equally, and would be heartbroken if anything happened to them. If you do not have a dog in the hunt, so to speak, please stop sounding so self-rightous, in my opinion.

I will not stop defending the Constitution.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 07:12 pm
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
http://dcmartin.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/2nd-amendment-what.png?w=560

The courts recognized a right in English Common Law for people to carry arms when they go about in public, so that they might defend themselves.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 07:16 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
oralloy wrote:
parados wrote:

Oh... so you are willing to violate the US Constitution as long as it benefits you. Thanks for clearing that up that you really care little about the Constitution but only about how you get to benefit.

Where did I suggest violating the Constitution?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 07:49 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:
Let me ask you oralloy: Did the assault weapons law ban pistol grips?

It banned combinations of harmless cosmetic features.

A gun would have been allowed one of the harmless cosmetic features, so long as it did not have another.

Banning combinations of harmless cosmetic features is just as unconstitutional as banning a single harmless cosmetic feature.
BillRM

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 07:50 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
as long as the NRA fully funds armed protection for all people at all times I'm good with it

So the lives of children while under state protection in schools are not worth a few billions a year ehBeth. Or say the cost of a space probe or two a year or a few super ball lottery winners payouts or the cost of a sport stadium or two a year.

So once more you had shown that you do not give a damn about the welfare of children.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 07:59 pm
Footnote the weapons that the shooter/felon used on the firemen was picked up by a family member for him acting as a straw purchaser.

See how you are going to stop that as long as you can get someone to break the law and be a straw purchaser for you.

Oh for everyone information.........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_purchase

A straw purchase or nominee purchase is any purchase wherein an agent acquires a good or service for someone who is unable or unwilling to purchase the good or service himself. Straw purchases are legal except in cases where the ultimate receiver of goods or services uses those goods or services in the commission of a crime with the prior knowledge of the straw purchaser.

Contents [hide]
1 Examples of legal uses
2 Firearms
3 Alcohol
4 Mortgage loans
5 See also
6 References
7 External links

[edit] Examples of legal usesExamples of legal straw purchases would be purchasing an automobile for another who cannot purchase it themselves due to poor credit or purchasing groceries for a senior citizen who is unable to go to a supermarket themselves because of poor health. Obtaining loans through a straw buyer is legal except when the agent and ultimate user of the funds defraud the bank or when the loan terms expressly prohibit use of an agent to obtain funds.

[edit] FirearmsStraw purchases can be illegal when made at a federally licensed firearm dealership. If the straw purchaser of the firearm lies about the identity of the ultimate possessor of the gun, he can be charged with making false statements on a federal Firearms Transaction Record. Straw purchases of used guns are not illegal, unless the gun is used in a crime with the prior knowledge of the straw purchaser.[1]

oralloy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 08:04 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Footnote the weapons that the shooter/felon used on the firemen was picked up by a family member for him acting as a straw purchaser.

Oops. Someone's in trouble.
BillRM

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 08:10 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
firefly wrote:
We need to be able to trace the ownership of these guns.

Like I explained before, we already can.

Not for very long as guns have one hell of a long lives and are likely to be transfer/ sold in private deals any numbers of times in a weapon lifetime.

The trail of firearms ownership soon vanish.

0 Replies