Another major school shooting today ... Newtown, Conn

parados

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 08:58 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

OH and the fact that almost all of them do not enter into gun battles once the police showed up and just killed themselves mean what in your opinion?

Almost all? Really? In 2012 of the top 14 mass shootings, the killer shot himself in only 7 of them and some of those were clearly not when the police showed up. The police killed 3 of them.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/nation/us-mass-shootings-2012/

What I think it means is that you wish for something that doesn't exist in reality.

Here's another list or rampage killings.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rampage_killers#School_massacres
Most didn't commit suicide. It's only 2 categories that have a majority that did commit suicide.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 09:23 am
@BillRM,
Here's another source with 62 of the top mass killings in US history.
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/07/mass-shootings-map

While many of them committed suicide, it certainly wasn't almost all. A rough count shows that about 50% committed suicide.
parados

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 09:37 am
@parados,
http://timelines.latimes.com/deadliest-shooting-rampages/

Another list of mass shootings since 1988. While a majority committed suicide it was hardly nearly all. 18 committed suicide and 11 didn't.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 09:45 am
@parados,
Mass killers in general or mass killers by firearms and as the bombers are less likely to committed suicide then the shooters and once more most shooters do not get into shootings contests with police the movie theater shooter just gave up for example.

In other word most of these shooters was not looking for shoot outs with other armed people.

Footnote the tops two mass US killers did not use firearms. One a nice big bomb and the other a few boxcutters.

Then the biggest killer of school children in school were a bomber not a shooter also.
spendius

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:26 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
OH and the fact that almost all of them do not enter into gun battles once the police showed up and just killed themselves mean what in your opinion?

It means that when the police show up it is too late and only press conferences remain to be enjoyed.

We are debating how to prevent the shootings. Not what the shooter does after them.
parados

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:33 am
@BillRM,
I guess you failed to notice that since the last school bombing in the US we have put laws in place to control who can buy and have explosives.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:38 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
In fact in most cases as soon as armed responsers /police showed up at the scene the shooters tend to take there own lives and not engage in a gun battle.

so if you're wrong about this ....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:39 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

you just say it again
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:40 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Mass killers in general or mass killers by firearms and as the bombers are less likely to committed suicide then the shooters and once more most shooters do not get into shootings contests with police the movie theater shooter just gave up for example.
Wow.... I am curious why you brought up bombings when talking about the 62 shootings where only 62% killed themselves. As to bombers being less likely to kill themselves. As near as I can tell ALL the bombers listed in the US killed themselves.

You didn't claim they avoided police and gave up. You claimed they committed suicide which is quite different from giving up to the police.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:40 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

That they are or are not eager to enter into gun battles?

and again ...

The fact that almost all of them didn't just kill themselves means what in your opinion?
BillRM

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:42 am
@spendius,
Sorry but the point is clear the mass killers shooters do not wished for the most part to confront armed people either police or others.............

The killer in Newtown did not break into that school with the hope of getting involved from the onset in a fire fight.

He broke in knowing it was a nice safe, for him, gun free zone.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:47 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
The fact that almost all of them didn't just kill themselves means what in your opinion?

LOL I had yet to check the claims that only half of the shooters have killed themselves and repeat of the ones who did not killed themselves many just gave up to the police when the cops show up.

Fews indeed got themselves into guns battles with the police.

Bet before looking that the gentleman is doing a Firefly and including bombers in the list of those who did not kill themselves.
parados

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:47 am
@ehBeth,
One thing we know for sure 100% of those shooting kids have access to guns. There is no other absolute that can be tied to every shooter.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:51 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

LOL I had yet to check the claims that only half of the shooters have killed themselves

less than half

and yes - it would be useful if you occasionally confirmed information instead of just speaking out of some random orifice
ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:52 am
@parados,
parados wrote:

One thing we know for sure 100% of those shooting kids have access to guns. There is no other absolute that can be tied to every shooter.

That's pretty much the epitaph for everyone who's been killed by someone using a gun.

"they had a gun"

I'm still having a really hard time understanding why any poster on this thread would rather have more people killed than consider any form of gun control.
BillRM

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:58 am
@ehBeth,
In fact you it would seems ehbeth prefer to have children killed instead of providing armed protections even to the level that is offer to fully screen airline passengers who have random sky marshals protection and the armed pilot program.

It would be nice if at the very least when the Newtown killer decided to break into the school he needed to do so knowing there was at least a good chance he would be facing armed resistant from the moment he broke the security door.

You seems to see the killing of children not as a problem that need to be solved but a gift to lobby for your anti-guns positions

reasoning logic

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 10:59 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
I'm still having a really hard time understanding why any poster on this thread would rather have more people killed than consider any form of gun control.

Everyone that I aware of believes in gun control. There may be a hand few that think every child should be able to own a bazooka
BillRM

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 11:01 am
@reasoning logic,
EhBeth and others would rather see children killed then to offer them armed protection.
parados

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 11:01 am
@BillRM,
The interesting thing about Bill is the following....

He hates authority as we have seen repeatedly in his posts here
He owns guns We can assume more than one for sure
AND
He has spent time searching out information on mass shootings.

And then he wants to accuse others of wanting to see children killed?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2012 11:08 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

In fact you it would for your anti-guns positions

I am not anti-gun.

I am for gun registration.

I am against people like you who seem to value their guns above the lives of other people.