What Do Modern Secessionists Want?

snood

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 04:26 pm
Citizens in over 30 states petition for secession from United States

First it was just Texas (and interestingly enough, Rick Perry just came out against those asking for secession in his state). then a couple of days ago it was residents from 20 states. Now it's 30. So, my question is this: What is the message the rest of us should take from all these citizens so unsettled by the reelection?

http://www.examiner.com/article/citizens-over-30-states-petition-for-secession-from-united-states
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 19 • Views: 5,546 • Replies: 123

jespah

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 04:40 pm
@snood,
That some people are nuts and enjoy having really public tantrums?

I mean, seriously, anyone with half a brain has to understand that seceding means losing pretty serious Federal dinero And so you would end up in far worse straits than they seem to think they're in/will be in. Anybody want to try rebuilding or maintaining infrastructure without Federal tax money? They don't now, so what do they imagine will happen?

If they drop out of the union, do they think they'll get foreign aid from the remainder of the US?
0 Replies

raprap

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 04:51 pm
That the Tea Party wackos are still in denial about losing the national election. They're in a rant.

BTW can you imagine what the wacko right would be saying in 2000 if 30 states would have sued for secession over the Forida electoral debacle.

Rap
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 05:13 pm
They better think really seriously about that. By and large, the red states are subsidized by the blue states. That is, the conservatives don't pay their own way, and have been freeloading on the liberals for years, and we're getting just a little tired of their bitching and moaning.
snood

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 05:55 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:

They better think really seriously about that. By and large, the red states are subsidized by the blue states. That is, the conservatives don't pay their own way, and have been freeloading on the liberals for years, and we're getting just a little tired of their bitching and moaning.

LOL - good one, MJ.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 06:21 pm
I don't know... I don't really take them totally seriously, but it is worrisome at the very least. I think it is very easy to underestimate the level of Obama derangement that has been set off by this re-election. The determination never to acknowledge the legitimacy of this man as even an American, much less as the POTUS, is like a deep festering wound.
raprap

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 06:36 pm
A petition to the president has been created that asks that citizenship be stripped from every individual sueing for secession. Moreover, it asks that any such illegal alien be peacefully deported from the US.

I consider this the'sedition has consequence' petition.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/strip-citizenship-everyone-who-signed-petition-secede-and-exile-them/ZbMjcwPf#thank-you=p

Rap
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 07:49 pm
I believe they sincerely feel disenfranchised. I do too, quite often, but I prefer to make my stand here, until I rise or fall. When you move on, your problems move with you anyway.
djjd62

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 08:09 pm

the attention they didn't get from their parents

buncha babies
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 13 Nov, 2012 11:13 pm
That's really not a bad idea; we can get rid of our over-huge defense budget, and quit subsidizing those "red" states who collect more than they pay into the kitty.

I seriously wonder how much that would save our federal government?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 06:23 am
When it comes to secession, I believe the whole country ought to get a vote.

Here in Canada, why should just Quebec vote, for example? I'd vote Yes just to get them out of my hair. I'm so tired of their whining. You want out? Good, here's $10. Bugger off.

If they have another referendum, I'm going to suggest that Smile
Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 07:11 am

To have their cake, and eat it, too . . .
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:33 am
@Setanta,
Well stated in eight words.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 11:42 am
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

the attention they didn't get from their parents

buncha babies

which is precisely what they're getting. Anyone who thinks the U.S. media doesn't heavily tilt to the right should look at examples like this. There are right-wing secessionists in Canada. Do they get coverage? rarely.

Ignore 'em.
BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 04:58 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
When it comes to secession, I believe the whole country ought to get a vote

If you do break apart other then the oil sand areas of Canada please do not come knocking on the door of your friendly neighbors south of you to be let in.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 05:18 pm
@ehBeth,
I remember a time some years ago when Quebec was in the news frequently about separating from Canada. I guess the US is going through the same painful process for the losers.
BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 05:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
remember a time some years ago when Quebec was in the news frequently about separating from Canada. I guess the US is going through the same painful process for the losers.

When Quebec were blackmailing the rest of Canada it was a little more of a concern then a small groups of tea parties nuts placing silly petitions on the White House website.
Mame

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 05:34 pm
@BillRM,
We wouldn't be asking to join the States! lol And I know how much you despise Canada.

Not to mention, it'd be Quebec you'd be getting, not the rest of the country! And good luck to you if it ever happens Smile
Rockhead

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 05:44 pm
@Mame,
sacrebleu
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Wed 14 Nov, 2012 05:50 pm
@Mame,
Quebec is the ones with the oil sands?

Ok only Alberta need to apply.............

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_sands

Most of the oil sands of Canada are located in three major deposits in northern Alberta. These are the Athabasca-Wabiskaw oil sands of north northeastern Alberta, the Cold Lake deposits of east northeastern Alberta, and the Peace River deposits of northwestern Alberta. Between them, they cover over 140,000 square kilometres (54,000 sq mi)—an area larger than England—and hold proven reserves of 1.75 trillion barrels (280×10^9 m3) of bitumen in place. About 10% of this, or 173 billion barrels (27.5×10^9 m3), is estimated by the government of Alberta to be recoverable at current prices, using current technology, which amounts to 97% of Canadian oil reserves and 75% of total North American petroleum reserves.[2]