ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 08:15 pm
@jcboy,
Thatta boy!!!!
0 Replies

MMarciano
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 08:18 pm
Morgan warned me about her when we met her in New York, at first I thought he was exaggerating, he wasn’t, she was worse then he had said she would be. She is one of those Orange County housewives and I have little patience for that.

She is going to have to stay in a hotel no matter how much she complains.
aspvenom

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 08:19 pm
Doesn't exactly seem like a friend, the way this women is being described.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sun 7 Oct, 2012 08:22 pm
@msolga,
I love Debbie, she can be a sweet lady and would do anything for me, you just can’t spend too much time with her or she will drive you crazy!

Oh trust me she will have her say in what we should do with the house, even though we won't listen to what she says but she will say it anyway!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 12:31 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

I’m going to have to bite the bullet and get a room in a hotel for her. I’ll just have to explain we are not settled enough for guest. She will have a fit but it’s better then Marco killing her!

I'm very glad to hear this.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 04:41 am
@jcboy,
Quote:
How do you deal with high maintenance friends
Use the same tricks you use with your dog. In your house YOU are the pack leader. We have guests cleaning up their bathroom
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 04:46 am
If you ACCEPT her high maintenance then I suppose you are gifted with her. Sometimes we must reassess what we have in common with folks. You have your own needs and I agree with beth and osso .
EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 07:19 am
@jcboy,
The queen is coming? The real queen moved here three years ago!
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 09:41 am
@farmerman,
I agree. Sorry, but I wouldn't let anyone disrupt my household to that extent. I love having company, but it doesn't stop me from going to work or doing what I normally do. I include them or work around them, but then, I don't have any high maintenance friends.

Sounds like a miserable visit, to me. I hope you stick to your guns and she stays in a hotel even though I'm sure you'll be to-ing and fro-ing a lot.
Ceili

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 09:51 am
@Mame,
Live by her schedule! ha, that would be the day.
I have guests here way more than my husband would like. The usual routine is.. here's your room, here's the bathroom, fresh towels are there, then I show them the coffee maker and where I keep the coffee and what not, and hand them a key. I'll cook if I'm around, but they're are on there own most of the time.. No one's complained yet. lol
jcboy

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 02:21 pm
@Ceili,
I’m going to call the queen this evening and tell her its best if she stays in a hotel. She will feel more comfortable there anyway.

Antonio is six years old and he has a daily routine. She is not going to be happy here especially when he starts on the piano!
Cool
ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 02:26 pm
@jcboy,
Avoid letting it be an argument - I say, as if that's easy, but it can be easy if you are definite. You don't have to explain at length; it's really better not to. What you said in an earlier post, a mere sentence or two, is sufficient. Switch it over to what are the best hotels that she (may) like.
JPB

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 02:34 pm
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

I’m going to call the queen this evening and tell her its best if she stays in a hotel. She will feel more comfortable there anyway.

Antonio is six years old and he has a daily routine. She is not going to be happy here especially when he starts on the piano!
Cool

You're getting closer. He has a routine, you both have routines, the pets all have routines, and now isn't the time to have a guest that insists on her own routines at the expense of everyone else's routines. There may never be such a time, but three weeks after moving definitely isn't it.

G'luck!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 02:40 pm
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

Move all the yet to be unpacked boxes into the guest rooms (put stuff back into boxes if you have to) and tell her you aren't ready for overnight house guests. Tell her you'd love to show off the house to her and you'll make reservations for her at the best hotel in town.

I have plenty of unpacked boxes! I'll donate em cos that's just the hoomanitarian type I am!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 02:43 pm
@MMarciano,
What's an orange county housewife type?
roger

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 02:47 pm
@dlowan,
High maintenance. Definately high maintenance.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 02:49 pm
@dlowan,
If you really like someone and have a good time with them, what's a little high maintenance, as long as you can control the amount of exposure you get to it?

The bit I'd find irksome is the high-handedness with people who can't answer back.....when I was waitering I don't think I'd have been able to resist a very smart arse response to having someone dictating the number of ice cubes....but c'mon, these folk can be wonderful friends.

On ya for being strong with the hotel, JC.

Hope you all have a great time. And Mm.....no killing the visiting friend, ok?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 02:50 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Avoid letting it be an argument - I say, as if that's easy, but it can be easy if you are definite. You don't have to explain at length; it's really better not to. What you said in an earlier post, a mere sentence or two, is sufficient. Switch it over to what are the best hotels that she (may) like.

I almost live by that, in face to face interactions. If you offer explanations, you invite discussion. I learned this working in a motel with attached lounge. Lounge customers (usually drunk) had to exit by way of the lobby. You may have to speak with them, but avoid discussions with people when they're drunk - unless you've got lots of time, and lots of patience.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 03:16 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Switch it over to what are the best hotels that she (may) like.

that's my tried and true "red pajamas/blue pajamas" approach

the question isn't whether she's staying in a hotel, just which of two offerings she'd prefer to stay in

(a friend of mine has been doing it with her mother for about 20 years now - great you're coming, do you want to go to the same b&b as last time or do you want to try this new one - works like a charm)
MMarciano

Reply Mon 8 Oct, 2012 04:41 pm
@ehBeth,
One of the best hotels around is the Vinoy by the bay. Morgan has already spoken with her and she’s fine with it. That is a big relief!

There is no way I’m going to wait hand and foot on any adult. When we have guest over we tell them to make themselves at home. You want something to drink, there’s the kitchen.

That’s how it is when our friends come over, they don’t ask us when they want something, they know where it is and know they don’t have to ask us for anything, our home is there’s, help yourselves is our motto.