A letter to an old flame

dlowan

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 02:20 am
kickycan wrote:
Let's see if I can pollute this situation a little further.

I actually did this last year. My situation was a little different though in that it was a friend who had once been in love with me, and I couldn't return those feelings. We were roommates, and I loved being with her, but I just wasn't attracted to her.

Anyway, I moved out and we didn't talk for over four years, but last year I decided I really wanted to see if we could be friends again. I called her, and we ended up getting together again, and before you knew it we were having a great time again, just like the old times.

And then slowly, hanging out together got to be a little bit less fun, until finally it was just plain hostile, just like those other old times. The old times that I'd forgotten about. The bickering and the pointless arguing had begun!

We hung out for about eight months, and then suddenly we weren't talking anymore. I haven't talked to her since Valentine's day, ironically. But I'm glad I did it. It gave me a better understanding of why it could never have worked out for us. Plus, we did have a chance to relive the good old days, for a little while.

Y'know - I find that kind of strange.....

I have a 3 very, VERY dear male friends, who I totally was smitten with - but with whom it was inappropriate to form a relationship - or, in one case, who was not attracted to me in that way.

We were able to make it through all that - I would be devastated without them - but there is no trace of the original sexual/love stuff. All is uncomplicated friendship.

Come to think of it, none of the fellas who were smitten with me, and with whom I was not smitten, but liked as friends, are still in my life.

Odd - I am a vulnerable wuss - am I weird in being able to make flames into friends? It certainly isn't cool rationality at work, cos I don't have too much of that when I fall!!!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 04:04 am
No, you're not weird, bunny, hear it here from me, Weird # 2.

I think the clue is that for either of us to be smitten, uh, usually, since I can recall an instance or two otherwise, don't get me started, but usually, we like in a guy some worked out sense of self and emotional connection along with the jellybellies.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 1 Apr, 2004 09:57 am
I think it's also very different if there was an actual sexual relationship rather than thunderclouds on the horizon. I've had a much easier time remaining friends with guys with whom there had been simmering sexual tension but nothing else than exes, per se.

I like Kicky's comment about "just like those other old times." I know what you mean.

And Bill, I believe you have feelings!! :-D Just think that you and Montana operate very differently, as a general concept.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 10:54 pm
Wow!!! I didn't realize this thread was still going strong. Good for you flyfish. I still haven't come up with the nerve to send mine yet, but maybe some day. My letter is pretty deep, so I've taken that into consideration. I know the letter would get him grinning from ear to ear and that he would be touched by it, so I can only assume that I'll get that bold feeling again one of these days and just send the darn thing.

Bill
I don't think I've ever seen the sensative side of you as much as I've seen here and it looks very nice on you ;-)
0 Replies

flyfish

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:07 pm
to be honest montana, and seeing its only me and you here, the letter I sent was much more than just a hi and how are ya doing. The thing is if I had done year ago...well things may have been different. She just got married this past fall. This is the second time this has happened to us where we missed on another. I am more than happy with her as a friend but still...

Guess my thought is what will time get you? It didn't get me anything. I guess if it doesn't get the positive response then at least you can move on and close the door. That was what made me finally send it. I couldn't have the 'what if' thing over me.

By the way Montana thanks for starting this thread. The comments here and from some friends really made this work for me and it came from you posting your letter in the first place. I guess I wish I could say something insightful to help you. good luck
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2004 11:38 pm
Flyfish
Thanks very much for your kind words. I'm truly happy that it all worked out for you and sending your letter had positive results. I suppose I'm in no hurry to send mine because I don't have any hopes of making new sparks with an old flame. I think I will love Mark for the rest of my life, but I am no longer in love with him and I am simply happy with the wonderful memories I had with him. I just thought it might be a nice idea to share my thoughts with him and let him know that he has given me some of my most precious memories of my life. After hearing your story I have decided that I will send it soon, so thank you for giving me the courage :-D
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 01:02 am
You go girl!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 01:46 am
Will you just do it already, Montana? Come on!!! Smile
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2004 03:56 am
Bill
;-)

Kicky
I will when that mood strikes me again. It shouldn't be too long since my moods tend to come around often ;-)
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2004 01:59 pm
I wrote a poem for a girl in High School. I had white roses sent to her on Valentine's Day (Girls just love getting roses in class so all the other girls can see), and the poem said:

Roses are red,
Well... these ones aren't quite,
But I thought it was better
That they should be white.
For such you perefer,
Or so I am told,
And white's far more fitting
For an Angel to hold.

Needless to say, she was flattered. That was just before she broke up with me though... I even wrote her a sonnet once, with the more comlicated rhyme scheme. It was pretty nice. Oh, here's another little rhyme I remembered. This is one of my favorites...

Roses are red,
Violets are... well... violet.
If love were a plane, Baby, you'd be the pilot.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2004 02:44 pm
SCoates
That was a very sweet thing to do, although it's a shame that she broke up with you after. I love your poems :-D
0 Replies