georgeob1

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 03:45 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I had to translate Caesar's chapters on the Migration of the Helvetians. I can still remember it .... except when I need to get my facts straight.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 03:48 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I had to translate Caesar's chapters on the Migration of the Helvetians in high school. I still remember it... except when I need it to get my facts right !
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 03:53 pm
@georgeob1,
I had to read (and to translate) all ... and learn the first passages of the first chapter by heart ...
georgeob1

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 05:43 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Me too and lots of Virgil (although I like Ovid and Martial more) as well. We also had to translate a piece about a general or centurian named Regulus who supposedly was sent to Rome by the Carthaginians during the second Punic War to plead for a prisoner exchange, and who allegedly opposed it and returned to Carthage and certain death. I just read a recent history of the conflict which asserts that this is a made up story.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2012 10:55 pm
@georgeob1,
I forgot all of that ... until you remind me now: very similar during my time at school ...
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 02:28 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
**** off Finn, you know full well Romney came over here just to slag us off. As long as you get your tax cuts you don't really give a **** how many people die.

And now you're saying that threatening the UK was always a major feature of his campaign.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 02:33 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
His and my comments have absolutely nothing to do with whether or not the London Olympics were successful, and only an uber-ass would think otherwise.

Absolute rubbish again Finn. You're just pissed off we London beat New York to get the Olympics which is why you can't bring yourself to say the Olympics were a success.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 02:46 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Basically Finn your response to an article in the Guardian was to say we should be relieved about having American bases over here and should support Romney. The exact opposite is true, whatever you say, we know Romney has a profound hatred for the UK and those bases are used to intimidate.

France was able to use its veto against the invasion of Iraq because it wasn't threatened by occupying troops.

Romney is by far greatest threat to the peace and security of the UK.
mysteryman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 03:49 am
@izzythepush,
Quote:
those bases are used to intimidate.

So since there has been US military bases in England since the end of WW2, does that mean that those bases have always been used to intimidate England?
Did Mr Clinton use them for intimidation?
What about president Obama, is he using those bases for intimidation purposes?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 04:21 am
@mysteryman,
There's a belief that Harold Wilson was forced to resign as prime minister because if he hadn't America would have engineered a coup. If that's not intimidation I don't know what is.

Wilson is now best known for his refusal to send British troops to Vietnam. If only Tony Blair had taken a leaf out of his book.

What do you think the bases are for if they're not to intimidate? The Cold War ended a long time ago, and even then, they were to ensure that were a war to break out between America and the Soviet Union the battlefield would be Europe.

Clinton, unlike his predecessors, was interested in securing a peace deal in Northern Ireland, as opposed to funding terrorists.

I know you like to preach about your beloved constitution and your supposed commitment to free speech. I can see the advantages in allowing your government to fund terrorism abroad whilst claiming to have nothing to do with it. The fact that people like you then believe that shows how much it works to the benefit of the ruling classes. The case of Babar Ahmed shows all the puff and blow about free speech is meaningless. He is a British citizen who has never even been to America, yet you had him deported to face American 'justice,' just for running a website.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 07:26 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
. . . we know Romney has a profound hatred for the UK and those bases are used to intimidate. . . .
Izzy, permit me to assuage, relieve, calm & alleviate your anxiety in those matters.
U can relax about them; everything is OK.
America is NOT going to use military force against England.
U have as much to fear of invasions from Outer Space. The Klingons r not going after u,
nor r the Americans, (but the Borg WILL assimilate u from within; your grandchildren will be THE BORG).

I deem it un-likely in the extreme that Romney hates England.

(Other than the Irish), no one in America harbors anti-English feelings,
so far as I have ever had reason to understand. No one (except some Irish)
has ever said anything negative about England (laying aside consideration
of your atrocity in allying yourselves with evil against the hapless Tony Martin,
and your laws against the victims of future violent crime, disarming those victims).

To Americans, it is more than OBVIOUS that Romney went there
to clothe himself in the appearance of being involved in,
and knowledgable of, international affairs. It was to boost his campaign.

In America, we NEVER think about nor talk about intimidating England.

David
izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 09:39 am
@OmSigDAVID,
If Romney was as you claim, just trying to boost his international credentials why did he spend all his time insulting us? Distrust of Romney goes right across the political spectrum. Nothing has united Tory Labour and Conservative parties since WW2.

I hope everything's fine where you are. I understand you're expecting a spot of rain.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 09:45 am
@izzythepush,
There are less than 10,000 American troops in England, with the majority of them being air force.
That sure is enough to intimidate an entire country, isn't it.
Of course, what does that say about England if you allow so few people to intimidate the entire country?

So just because a few people have a belief in something, does that make it correct?

I don't believe you actually believe what you are writing, you just want to argue.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 09:55 am
@mysteryman,
It's more than a few people who believe Wilson was forced to step down due to American pressure.

Less than 10,000 troops could become considerably more in very little time.

And yes I do feel intimidated knowing they're there.

The main thing that sticks in the craw is British citizens who have never been to America are being extradited to America to stand trial. Barbar Ahmed was treated appallingly, held without trial for years fighting extradition. Gary McKinnon, a vulnerable adult with aspberger's was subject to a similar long wait before the home secretary actually did the right thing and stood up to America and refused his extradition. No British citizen should be subject to the laws of a foreign power unless they are in that country at the time.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 10:05 am
@mysteryman,
By the way MM, I think you've got a bit of a brass neck accusing me of just wanting to argue, when you've digging up my posts from way back so you can do exactly that.
JTT

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 10:48 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
So just because a few people have a belief in something, does that make it correct?[/quote

No, MM, of course it doesn't. By the same token, just because hundreds of millions of Americans think their country is fair and just, that the US is not a terrorist nation filled with war criminals doesn't make it correct, for the facts reveal a very different picture.

[quote]I don't believe you actually believe what you are writing, you just want to argue.

I know that you no longer believe that nonsense about the US and that is precisely why you won't discuss it at all. You seek to push any mention of these issues far out of your mind, such as it is.
mysteryman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 11:31 am
@izzythepush,
Define " way back"
I responded to a post of yours that was 2 weeks old, does that qualify?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 11:40 am
@JTT,
I don't refuse to discuss anything. I do however, refuse to allow you to turn every thread into a discussion of how evil you think the US is.
You inject that into every thread, no matter what the thread is about.
If you want to discuss it, that's fine, but don't use it as a club.
JTT

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 11:59 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
into a discussion of how evil you think the US is.

MM, y'all keep on with "you you you" thing; it's not me. That the US has done a lot of extraordinarily evil things is irrefutable fact. That the vast majority of US citizens and even the world don't know about these things is also irrefutable fact.

The only way that you're ever gonna get your country to the standard that it professes is to address these issues. Isn't two centuries of slaughtering people in order to steal their wealth way more than enough?

Quote:
I don't refuse to discuss anything.

You know that's a lie because you've been given ample opportunity to discuss these very important issues and you just flee. That's intellectual cowardice. Americans aren't supposed to be cowards.
mysteryman

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 12:18 pm
@JTT,
Lets examine some things you have said..
You have said that EVERY US president is a war criminal
You have said that the US is the major exporter of terrorism on the planet
You have blamed the US for every war going on anywhere on the planet
And you have accused every current and former member of the US military of war crimes

When you start a discussion with those outlandish claims its hard to take you seriously.