Tonight's Presidential Candidate Debate...

McGentrix

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:13 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

McG

Quote:
No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act.

"this terrible act" was not a reference to "acts of terror" two sentences earlier?

You would have understood the connection if "justice is done for this terrible act of terror" had been used in the speech?

Back to English class to you.

Seriously? You too?

Why then did Obama say this at the Univision townhall event?

Quote:
OBAMA: “What we’ve seen over the last week, week and a half, is something that actually we've seen in the past, where there is an offensive video or cartoon directed at the prophet Muhammad. And this is obviously something that then is used as an excuse by some to carry out inexcusable violent acts directed at Westerners or Americans.
“And my number-one priority is always to keep our diplomats safe and to keep our embassies safe. And so when the initial events happened in Cairo and all across the region, we worked with Secretary Clinton to redouble our security and to send a message to the leaders of these countries, essentially saying, although we had nothing to do with the video, we find it offensive, it's not representative of America's views, how we treat each other with respect when it comes to their religious beliefs, but we will not tolerate violence.”

QUESTION: “We have reports that the White House said today that the attacks in Libya were a terrorist attack. Do you have information indicating that it was Iran, or al-Qaeda was behind organizing the protests?”
OBAMA: “Well, we're still doing an investigation, and there are going to be different circumstances in different countries. And so I don’t want to speak to something until we have all the information. What we do know is that the natural protests that arose because of the outrage over the video were used as an excuse by extremists to see if they can also directly harm U.S. interests.”

Where is the discussion on it being a terrorist attack? I mean according to you guys, he knows it was a terrorist attack on the 12th, so why the dodging on the 20th?

Why did Susan Rice say this on CBS’s “Face the Nation” on the 16th?

Quote:
“Based on the best information we have to date ... it began spontaneously in Benghazi as a reaction to what had transpired some hours earlier in Cairo, where, of course, as you know, there was a violent protest outside of our embassy sparked by this hateful video. But soon after that spontaneous protest began outside of our consulate in Benghazi, we believe that it looks like extremist elements, individuals, joined in that effort with heavy weapons of the sort that are, unfortunately, readily now available in Libya post-revolution. And that it spun from there into something much, much more violent.... We do not have information at present that leads us to conclude that this was premeditated or preplanned.”

Carney on the 13th said

Quote:
“I think it’s important to note with regards to that protest that there are protests taking place in different countries across the world that are responding to the movie that has circulated on the Internet. As Secretary Clinton said today, the United States government had nothing to do with this movie. We reject its message and its contents. We find it disgusting and reprehensible. America has a history of religious tolerance and respect for religious beliefs that goes back to our nation’s founding. We are stronger because we are the home to people of all religions, including millions of Muslims, and we reject the denigration of religion. We also believe that there is no justification at all for responding to this movie with violence.”

You are reading Obama's to say what you wanted him to have said rather then what he did say. His administration continued down the same road until the light was shown upon the deception that they were caught with their pants down in Libya.

I know for damn sure neither you nor Cyc would have ever, EVER given Bush this sort of leeway. So, why give Obama the benefit? He is just another President.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:22 pm
@McGentrix,
Re: the Univision thing,

Um, do you not understand that Cairo and Benghazi are two different places? The first part of Obama's response was about the protests inCairo, which were by all accounts sparked by a television station discussing the video in question. The second part said that extremists used the protests as cover for attacks in Libya.

Your reading comprehension is apparently ******* broken these days...

And I just can't understand what your overall point is, either. How exactly would things be any different based on what some of Obama's advisers said on TV talk shows? Does that affect our response at all? Nope.

Cycloptichorn

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:26 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Re: the Univision thing,

That was an awesome interview and it was the very 1st time
anyone asked Obama something other than a softball question.

Obama has no record to run on, so all he can do is attack &
slander Romney. Pathetic tactic for sure, but it's all he's got.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:27 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Does that affect our response at all? Nope.

Cycloptichorn

Of course it doesn't. Why should it? Never let the facts get in your way Cyc. That way you never have to try to discuss them.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:29 pm
@McGentrix,
nuh unh

you're changing your complaint

wouldn't work if you tried that in real life, not working here

~~~

I'm not a fan of either candidate*, but I always hope the local A2K debaters will at least try to make sensible arguments.

* I would not vote for either of them if I lived in the U.S. I'd be supporting one of two third-party candidates who represent my views more closely.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:30 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:
I mean according to you guys,

what you guys do you think I'm part of? I'm not an Obama supporter. Ask cyclo, he regularly fusses at me.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:31 pm
@ehBeth,
Maybe you don't understand my complaint?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:34 pm

I have yet to come across a sensible argument for rewarding Obama with a 2nd term.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:36 pm
@McGentrix,
McGentrix wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Does that affect our response at all? Nope.

Cycloptichorn

Of course it doesn't. Why should it? Never let the facts get in your way Cyc. That way you never have to try to discuss them.

What facts???? You and Romney have already been shown to be factually wrong. You have no facts, just generalized bitching about something, but I can't quite understand what, exactly.

Romney claimed Obama didn't call it a terrorist act; he clearly did, Romney got caught flat-footed on it and was rattled the rest of the debate.

The fact that this line is being pushed so hard across the right side of the web today tells me, more than anything else, that Obama really won this debate.

Cycloptichorn
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Romney claimed Obama didn't call it a terrorist act; he clearly did,

There you go again... your perpetuating Obama's lies.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:39 pm
@McGentrix,
here's what you said was the point

McGentrix wrote:

The point was that Romney stated that Obama did not call it what happened in Benghazi a terrorist attack until 2 weeks after the event. Obama got smug and the the moderator interrupted Romney to interject her own opinion. Both, as it turns out were wrong.

so, to be absolutely sure we understand what your point was, which two were wrong? Obama and Romney? Obama and Crowley? Romney and Crowley?

there's no good choice for you to make now, but you're going to have to make one - you claimed to be making a point

given the way your sentences were formulated your answer should be Romney and Crowley, but you should have another go at it
H2O MAN

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:42 pm

Obama wins the debate on points with a body count of 4.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
He clearly did?

If was clear, then why are we having this discussion. Obviously he didn't clearly say anything or else I, and several mainstream media outlets, wouldn't be saying anything about it. If he had clearly called it a terrorist act, his mouthpiece wouldn't have said it was a result of a video several days later. If had clearly said it was a terrorist act, his representative to the UN wouldn't have said it was the result of a video. If he had clearly said it was a terrorist act, Romney wouldn't have brought it up at the debate.

If Romney was rattled, it would probably have been due to the excessive interruptions from the moderator who clearly sided with the President.

Obama certainly performed better the second debate. And why shouldn't he have? He spoke longer, was interrupted less, was given softball questions and was far more comfy in the environment.

It's still being decided who won. Both got their jabs in and both made solid points. One more debate left, we can then argue that and then we will have the election. Then you guys will have 4 years of bitching about the Romney Presidency, sticking up for the stalwart Democrats who are defending the Republic be denying Romney any congressional support...
McGentrix

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:51 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

here's what you said was the point

McGentrix wrote:

The point was that Romney stated that Obama did not call it what happened in Benghazi a terrorist attack until 2 weeks after the event. Obama got smug and the the moderator interrupted Romney to interject her own opinion. Both, as it turns out were wrong.

so, to be absolutely sure we understand what your point was, which two were wrong? Obama and Romney? Obama and Crowley? Romney and Crowley?

there's no good choice for you to make now, but you're going to have to make one - you claimed to be making a point

given the way your sentences were formulated your answer should be Romney and Crowley, but you should have another go at it

There is a perfectly fine choice to make; Obama and Crowley. Obama didn't say it and Crowley shouldn't have interjected. Obama gave a boilerplate "make em feel good" ending to a pre-written speech. Just as a good President should. Obama should not have said that he called it a Terrorist attack on the 12th at the debate when he didn't and Romney was correct in saying that Obama didn't say such a thing.

Even Crowley has said that Romney was correct following the debate. The only ones that are supporting Obama on this now are his die-hard supporters. Are you sure you now want to be counted amongst those?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:52 pm
@McGentrix,
Yes, he Clearly did.

why are we having this discussion? I think you know the answer to that: Romney flubbed his opportunity to hit Obama on what you consider to be a weakness during an important debate. And Obama is eating your team's lunch on foreign policy, and you are grasping for some way to blunt that.

Both candidates got the same 'softball' questions, and Obama barely spoke longer. That sort of thing hardly matters when your guy is winning and doing a good job. But, romney was perceived to have lost, and done only an ok job, so you're pretty sore about it...

Both the polls after the debate, the pundit reaction, and the online angst from Romney supporters have already told us who won the debate. It's not really in question. But, if it makes ya feel better, why not go on and keep thinking what ya do?

Cycloptichorn
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:53 pm
@McGentrix,
McG, What you "missed" was how Romney was trying to "set the rules of the debate." He was a participant in the debate, not the ruler of it.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 05:53 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Yes, he Clearly did.

Cycloptichorn

No, he clearly did not.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 06:12 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Even CBSNews agrees with me...

Quote:
It shows that the president did refer to "acts of terror" - but not specifically in reference to the Libya attack. Instead, he made a broader statement about American defiance.

"No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for," he said.

You can make the case that the president was referring to the Libya attacks as well as other "acts of terror," since he made the comment in the course of a statement about those attacks. But the stronger case would seem to be that the president did not specifically refer to the attack as an act of terror - as Romney said.

Clearly? Not by a long shot.
McGentrix

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 06:22 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Even that die-hard conservative Anderson Cooper had this to say

Quote:
ANDERSON COOPER: Wolf, this whole the whole acts of terrorism thing, I don’t think it’s as clear a slam dunk as the Obama campaign would like it to be. In his speech, he wasn’t saying this was an act of terror. Previous to the paragraph where he said acts of terror, he’d been talking about 9/11 and obviously the killing of four Americans, he didn’t reference that video in particular, but I do think it’s open to debate. I can see why the Romney campaign is critical.

Cooper’s colleague and the debate moderator Candy Crowley said post-debate that Republican nominee Mitt Romney was “right in the main” on the Libya issue, but chose the wrong word.

Video here.

Clearly? No.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 06:25 pm
@McGentrix,
You're both confused; what Romney asked was, did you say "It was a act of terror?"

This is what actually happened.
Quote:
“I think it’s interesting the president just said something which is that on the day after the attack, he went in the Rose Garden and said that this was an act of terror.

“That’s what I said,” Mr. Obama replied.

Mr. Romney: “I want to make sure we get that for the record, because it took the president 14 days before he called the attack in Benghazi an act of terror.

Why are people arguing about such a black and white issue? Romney just doesn't know what he's talking about, and his supporters are trying to rewrite history.