Tonight's Presidential Candidate Debate...

roger

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 02:27 pm
@DrewDad,
I did not have to read anything to be surprised to see a moderator enter the debate. I was also interested in how often she interrupted Romney, as compared to interruptions to Obama's efforts.

I'm not saying this changed the outcome at all, but it struck me as a little unorthodox. If she's planning a career as debate moderator, she might start looking elsewhere.
roger

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 02:29 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Romney's spent a lot of time preaching to the choir. Things are a little more difficult when you're talking to people who don't take everything you say as gospel.

I can't argue with that. The object is to win votes; not debates.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 02:56 pm
@McGentrix,
Quote:
No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act. And make no mistake, justice will be done.

McGentrix wrote:
Obama was not referring to the specific attack. He was making a generalized statement of patriotic content to demonstrate that his administration was going to defend the US. In speaking of the specific act, he called it terrible, tragic. He did not call it it a terrorist attack.

So when Obama referred to acts of terror, and within context, two clauses afterward, said, "we will not waiver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act," he was not referring to the attack?

To say the very least, I disagree.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 03:08 pm
@Gargamel,
I rest my case.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 03:16 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Romney couldnt bring it home tonite. It was a cmplete reverse of Denver. I was watching PBS covergae and Romney left after a few minutes and Obama just lingered and took pictures with the audience

Post debate body language and lingering candidates is equally important.

PS, I really liked the way that OBAMA tied ROMNEY to the entire obstructionist GOP and TEBAGGER congressional agenda. Thats gonna resonate

This has to establish you as one of the most head up their ass partisans in this forum.

No one in the Obama campaign is declaring that last night was a reversal of Debate One and if there was even a remote chance that they could make such an outlandish claim, they would have.

I sure would have like to see a repeat of the Denver Smack Down, but unless Obama is suffering from extreme clinical depression that was never going to happen. Denver produced a remarkable Romney surge and all he had to do was not duplicate Obama's dreadful Denver performance to preserve it.

But don't rely on me, watch the polls.

I will agree that Romney should have made more of an effort to mingle with the crowd after the debate, but if you think millions of Americans stayed tuned to watch for such a peripheral sign, you are deluding yourself...which has already been proven by your original claim.
Rockhead

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 03:18 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
"This has to establish you as one of the most head up their ass partisans in this forum."

no finn...

the title is still all yours.
0 Replies

revelette

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 03:24 pm
Quote:
Romney 'Binders Full Of Women' Female Hiring Boast Falls Apart

In response to a question about equal pay for women during the presidential debate Tuesday night, Republican nominee Mitt Romney boasted that as governor of Massachusetts, he was so frustrated by the lack of qualified female candidates for positions in his cabinet that he sent women’s groups out to actively recruit them.

“I went to a number of women's groups and said, 'Can you help us find folks?' and they brought us whole binders full of women,” he said.

Romney’s account of that story is false, according to two women who led an effort in 2002 to recruit female candidates to high-level appointed positions in Massachusetts. MassGAP, a bipartisan coalition of women’s groups dedicated to increasing the number of women appointed to top government jobs, approached Romney and his Democratic challenger Shannon O’Brien before the 2002 gubernatorial election and pressured them to sign a pledge to appoint more women if elected.

“It was an initiative of women’s organizations, not to force [Romney’s] hand, but to make it be something he had to follow through on,” Carol Hardy-Fanta, former co-chair of MassGAP’s higher education subcommittee, told The Huffington Post the morning following the debate. "He didn't go out looking for these binders.”

Liz Levin, who was the chairwoman of MassGAP at the time, told HuffPost that during the 2002 governor's race, the group spent months identifying, vetting and collecting resumes of qualified women for the high-level appointments.

"They told us ... that they were going to send [the binders] to us,” O’Brien recalled in a Wednesday interview with The Huffington Post. “Whoever won was going to get this."

Levin said Romney had little personal involvement with MassGAP. His campaign had tasked his nominee for lieutenant governor, Kerry Healey, to work with the organization on recruiting women. Healey helped secure Romney's pledge to appoint women, and MassGAP presented the binders and highlighted especially qualified applicants to Healey after Romney was elected.

"We gave them names of people and there was a time that -- I think it was after they had the binder -- we set up a time to talk to them about the people in the binder," Levin recalled.

Not once did Romney meet with MassGAP, Levin said. "I personally thought he was busy," she explained.

rest at the source
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 03:33 pm
@McGentrix,
Isn't it amazing that before last night all of the Obamanistas in this forum never thought to defend The Expected One by citing his Rose Garden comments?

Now though they are all braying that of course those comments proved Obama was on board with the truth from the git-go, and if someone doesn't agree, they must be an idiot.

The MSM is doing it's best to further Candy's emergency response efforts by reporting that Romney had a great chance and blew it.

Of course they're not reporting that Obama and Crowley were right (How could they when she admitted she was wrong?) but they have to inject some association with the exchange that is negative for Romney as if the American people are as intelligent as a swarm of liver flukes, and only need the reportage version of an electrical shock to point them in a different direction.

Stunned by the audacity of Obama and the willingness of Crowley to discard her last vestige of journalistic integrity, Romney didn't respond as well as so many other people with a lot more time to think about the moment would have like him to, but he didn't blow it.

The headlines after the debate deal primarily with Benghazi. As much as they may have enjoyed the moment last night they can't be happy that people are talking about Benghazi. The tissue thin defense Obama offered last night can't hold up, and Romney will get another shot at it on Monday.

Let's recall that before Crowley egregiously overstepped her role, Obama was pleading with her to move on. He didn't want to discuss Benghazi and he really won't want to do so at the next debate where it is likely to dominate the discussion.

Be prepared as well for some unfortunate band of camel herders in the Libyan desert to get obliterated by Hellfires, before the next debate. If I owned an aspirin factory in Benghazi, I would be sweating bullets right now.

0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 03:39 pm
@InfraBlue,
Makes you wonder where they learned English; "terror" and talking about the Benghazi attack are relevant to what he said. Obama generalized it by also saying we will not tolerate these acts. "Chris helped establish their new country." Some people will find anything they can to challenge this administration - even at the risk of creating controversy where none exists.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 03:44 pm
@roger,
She interrupted Romney 28 time; Obama 9.

It's probably difficult, irrespective on one's political stripe to interrupt the POTUS, but when you want him to win the debate, how much more hard is it?

If she wasn't up to the task, she should have declined.

Why the he'll does the GOP keep approving of these Quislings?

In all three debates, the Dem has gotten more than 8 minutes more of time.

It may not seem like a lot but in a format where the participants are supposed to be limited to 2 minutes a comment, it's a lot.

Last night I watched Obama speak on after the displayed timer clearly indicated his time was up. He went on for another 76 seconds before Crowley made a feeble attempt to stop him and another 26, before he decided, through no effort of her's, that he was finished.

Imagine if the MSM was conservative? The Democrats would fall of the edge of the world.

I just can't believe that there are so few journalists who really respect their profession, let alone themselves.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 03:49 pm
@revelette,
He said she said bullshit. The proof of the pudding is how many women he had in his administration. try arguing with that.

While you're at it try explaining why women in the Obama Adinmake less than their male counterparts and while at least two former members, including Maoist Anita Dunn have written that the Obama Admin was not only a Men's Club, but the definition of a hostile environment.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 03:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Makes you wonder where they learned English; "terror" and talking about the Benghazi attack are relevant to what he said. Obama generalized it by also saying we will not tolerate these acts. "Chris helped establish their new country." Some people will find anything they can to challenge this administration - even at the risk of creating controversy where none exists.

And now the screeching heads at FoxNews are attempting to differentiate "acts of terror" from "terrorism," saying they are not the same thing.

If anything, they're an endless source of entertainment.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 04:05 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn, You really are stupid aren't you? You should do a little homework before you spout out about gender employment.

What matters is how women vs men stand on unemployment in the US.

From the Department of Labor: Women unemployment rate is 8.5%, and men unemployment rate is 10.6%.

The Obama administration has Hillary Clinton as the Secretary of State. The Secretary of State is forth in line to become president; that's how important the job is. Name us one woman in the Romney administration or company where a woman held high office?
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 04:15 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You seem to have a problem focusing CI. I think you need to see your Gerontologist.

It may, in the general scheme of things, matter how women stand against men in terms of employment, but that's not the subject at hand.

The assertion was that Romney "lied" about seeking out women for his administration in Mass.

You're one of these A2K master thesis guys, check out the actual stats about the Romney record of hiring women to key positions in Mass, and then come back and make a cogent point.

While you're at it research the Obama Admin record and spare us the argument that Hillary washes away all of his gender sins.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 04:24 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
If Romney did what you said he did, why not post the facts for all to see? That should be very easy.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 04:26 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

She interrupted Romney 28 time; Obama 9.

A meaningless statistic, if there ever was one.

Perhaps Obama was just more polite.

Whining about the debate doesn't help your position. In fact, it hurts your position. Is your candidate presidential, or is he a whiner?

(Personally, I think they should just cut the microphones when their respective times are up.)
ehBeth

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 04:30 pm
@McGentrix,
McG

Quote:
No acts of terror will ever shake the resolve of this great nation, alter that character, or eclipse the light of the values that we stand for. Today we mourn four more Americans who represent the very best of the United States of America. We will not waver in our commitment to see that justice is done for this terrible act.

"this terrible act" was not a reference to "acts of terror" two sentences earlier?

You would have understood the connection if "justice is done for this terrible act of terror" had been used in the speech?

Back to English class to you.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 04:32 pm
@DrewDad,
From HuffPost Business,
Quote:
But the former Massachusetts governor has had trouble explaining some of Bain Capital's business practices, which in certain cases included transferring manufacturing plants overseas and cutting U.S. jobs, to blue collar voters in swing states like Ohio and Virginia. Democrats, meanwhile, have taken the opportunity to portray Romney as a ruthless corporate raider, more intent on making a profit than on preserving American manufacturing.

From AlterNet.
Quote:
AlterNet / By Joshua Holland
Romney's Bain Capital Is Sending a Bunch of High-Tech Jobs to China on the Day Before the Election
The story of Sensata Technologies is about the hollowing out of America's economy by a rapacious 1 percent.
October 16, 2012 |

On the day before an election that's supposed to hinge on jobs, taxes and the middle class, Bain Capital, the company Mitt Romney founded, will close the doors of a factory in Freeport, Illinois, and ship 170 good, high-tech jobs to China.

The employees of Sensata Technologies were forced to train their Chinese replacements, and the American flag that long flew over the factory was reportedly removed while the Chinese engineers were visiting the site. A group of workers have set up camp across from the factory -- calling it “Bainport” -- and some supporters have tried to block the trucks hauling equipment out of the plant. According to Dave Johnson, there have been several arrests.

Sensata workers have asked to meet with Mitt Romney and hoped to enlist his help keeping their jobs in the United States, but he has refused, instead remaining on the campaign trail where he speaks often about “getting tough” with China.

Romney and his "blind trust." You gotta be blind to trust Romney.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 04:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Spare me this silly game.

I made a statement. If you think it's bullshit, it's up to you to prove it.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 17 Oct, 2012 04:56 pm
@ehBeth,
Disingenuousness is a particularly unflattering characteristic.

0 Replies