I just got my flu shot, have you?

ehBeth

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 12:19 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:
I've never gotten a flu shot

If you worked in the prison system here, you'd be in one of the professions where it can be a requirement (unless you can get a doctor's note - and those are often disputed by employers).

apparently it's also a requirement for some jobs in the U.S.

http://ucsfhr.ucsf.edu/index.php/hrupdate/article/hr-update-september-21-2012/

Quote:
The UCSF flu shot policy requires that all medical center employees, UCSF faculty and house staff be vaccinated with one shot for the seasonal flu, which will include H1N1. As required by state law, anyone who declines a flu shot must sign a declination form and wear a hospital-supplied mask while in areas where patients are seen, evaluated and treated. Click here for the policy and more information.
ehBeth

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 12:22 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
I just got my flu shot, have you?

Got one once. Had an unpleasant reaction.

Got the flu earlier this year - first time in decades. It was awful.

I've signed up to get a free shot at our building's flu clinic in October.
chai2

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 01:47 pm
@ehBeth,
Yeah, unpleasant vs. awful, if you've gotten the flu, you know how scary it is.

Question, if you got the flu earlier this year, aren't you immune for the year?
Or is this for a different strain?

ehBeth

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 02:27 pm
@chai2,
My understanding is that a new strain comes out of Asia each summer/autumn.
Rockhead

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 02:27 pm
@ehBeth,
why don't we just get rid of Asia then...?
ehBeth

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 02:28 pm
@Rockhead,
that could work

no more soy!
0 Replies

djjd62

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 03:04 pm
@Rockhead,
Rockhead wrote:
why don't we just get rid of Asia then...?

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/300x300/54707115.png
works for me
aidan

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 03:45 pm
@ehBeth,

Quote:
If you worked in the prison system here, you'd be in one of the professions where it can be a requirement (unless you can get a doctor's note - and those are often disputed by employers).

Well, I don't work in the prison service there.
In England, which is where I work in the prison service, it is only recommended and routinely given to members of certain demographics - none of which I fit into:
Quote:
There are no vaccinations that are routinely offered on the NHS to all adults. However, there are several vaccinations that are available on the NHS to adults in certain ‘at risk’ groups.
These are:
Flu vaccine Protects against: flu including swine flu.
Who needs it:
•all people aged 65 years and over
•all those with a long-term health condition
•healthcare workers
•all pregnant women at any stage of pregnancy

0 Replies

chai2

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 03:46 pm
A good way to avoid flu contact is to make sure you use your foot when you flush the toilet.
ossobuco

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 03:48 pm
@djjd62,
Neat graphic.
0 Replies

aidan

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 03:56 pm
@chai2,
Somehow I've avoided that and all sorts of other horrible diseases all my whole life and all without EVER flushing a toilet with my foot!

But you know what? Now that I know other people flush toilets with their feet - I'm wasting alot more toilet paper using a wad to touch the flusher.
0 Replies

chai2

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 04:03 pm
Sometimes after flushing with my foot, I drag a 5 year old into the stall and make her touch the handle.
Reyn

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 07:52 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

Sometimes after flushing with my foot, I drag a 5 year old into the stall and make her touch the handle.

That seems fairly specific.

What happens if no 5 year old available, but there is an eight year old? Wink
roger

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 08:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
Immunizations do not weaken the immune system. On the contrary.

Clearly, there is a lot of waste in the program. It's totally wasted on everyone who wasn't going to get it, anyway. I hope you can follow the logic.
Mame

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 08:44 pm
@roger,
Laughing
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 08:47 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
Smells like troll to me.

Pretty stupid reaction just because someone disagrees with you, Chai.

Why weren't you honest enough to say what you really meant,

Sounds like someone who could easily make a fool of me.

And then when Zeke explained his reasoning in Post: # 5,119,915, off you went with the 'you' bullshit. Why didn't you address his explanation that both you and Beth asked about?

aidan

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 10:27 pm
@chai2,
Quote:

Somehow I can picture that! And then you'd say, 'You see young lady - how you're exposing yourself to all sorts of scary germs by acting like a normal person? From now on you WILL flush the toilet with your feet and then you WILL wash your hands in scalding hot water with lye soap until they're red and raw and then we WILL go down and get our flu shots!

Germs are all around you everywhere - just waiting to attack and make you ill!
Be afraid and paranoid- and don't give a care for all the other people who are going to walk into this stall and use it after you've just smeared all the **** on the floor from the bottom of your shoe onto the handle !

Yeah, not to be harsh or anything, but it's probably a really good thing you didn't have kids.
hawkeye10

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 10:37 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Yeah, not to be harsh or anything, but it's probably a really good thing you didn't have kids.

that was a little mean

Quote:
Germs are all around you everywhere

yep, and those who keep trying to kill all the microbes not only are fighting a lost cause, but a stupid one as well. about a year ago I was reading someone make a good case that all these anti-bacteria soaps, wipes and gels are one giant step back for human health, as the microbes now are because of them becoming resistant to our means to kill them much faster than expected, and because the immune system needs to be allowed to operate in order to stay functional.....we should be doing some light management of the garden of bacteria that rides on us and in us, not constantly trying to kill it all off.
aidan

Sun 30 Sep, 2012 10:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
Not really- she's said over and over again how she never wanted kids and she's happy she didn't have them.
It would have been mean if I'd not known that and thought she might have wanted them and still said that.

What I meant was that she seems to think that anyone who doesn't do things her way or agree with her (me, for instance) is WRONG and open to ridicule - as in just because I don't think I need a flu shot - she's going to try to make me look stupid by bringing up another thing we disagreed about on another thread (the necessity of flushing a toilet with your feet to avoid germs yourself, while you then expose other and perhaps more vulnerable populations to the very thing you're protecting yourself from).

If it was mean and hurt her, I apologize. That'd be more than I've ever gotten from her. But I do think that people who are so very, very set on what they think is right for everyone else in the world would have trouble being flexible enough to accommodate another will -and children definitely have their own wills and their own ideas about how to do things. Hell, I'm not even allowed to have my own will and ideas - or answer her question truthfully if it doesn't gibe with what she thinks - and I'm a functional and functioning adult.
I also do think it's not necessary to cause children undo anxiety about issues which are just normal parts of life- like germs.
Most of them are extremely resilient and can handle a little poop and pee on their hands without succumbing to anything.
0 Replies

aspvenom

Mon 1 Oct, 2012 03:52 am
@JTT,
No, not everyone thinks it was a troll...some people on this thread just want to instigate some trouble. Mr. Green
0 Replies