Armstrong to be Stripped of all 7 Titles

snood

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 06:03 am
Lance Armstrong found out yesterday that they are stripping him of all 7 titles for doping. He's defiant, but nothing he can do about it. Any fans here who think this was a witchhunt? Anyone think it was just desserts?

http://msn.foxsports.com/cycling/story/us-anti-doping-agency-will-ban-lance-armstrong-for-life-strip-tour-de-france-titles-082312
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 27 • Views: 17,968 • Replies: 279

sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 06:05 am
@snood,
It really sounds like he was doping.

I was hoping not, but Floyd Landis + this (+ other stuff) and I really think he was.

It's possible that absolutely everyone was and he's still the best of the dopers. Dunno.

Btw I think the chronology is that he's giving up the fight (no longer trying to defend himself against the allegations), therefore they'll strip him of the titles.
sozobe

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 06:09 am
@sozobe,
NYT wrote:
After more than a decade of outrunning accusations that he had doped during his celebrated cycling career, Lance Armstrong, one of the best known and most accomplished athletes in recent history, surrendered on Thursday, ending his fight against charges that he used performance-enhancing drugs.

Armstrong, who won the Tour de France an unprecedented seven straight times, said that he would not continue to contest the charges levied against him by the United States Anti-Doping Agency, which claimed that he doped and was one of the ringleaders of systematic doping on his Tour-winning teams.

[....]

Armstrong’s decision, according to the World Anti-Doping Code, means he will be stripped of his seven Tour titles, the bronze medal he won at the 2000 Olympics and all other titles, awards and money he won from August 1998 forward.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/24/sports/cycling/lance-armstrong-ends-fight-against-doping-charges-losing-his-7-tour-de-france-titles.html
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 06:50 am
@snood,
He passed hundreds of tests for doping and their case seem build on the words of people that to me had no creditability.

Seems like a witch hunt to me............
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 07:00 am
I'd like to know the reason he is no longer fighting the charges.

If you know anything about drug testing by WADA since 2000 you'd know that samples are now put on ice for retesting as the testing techniques get better and new doping types are discovered. Is that what's happened here? He'd tested clean up until now. I know the French have always suspected him at ground level, but for the USA to be pursuing him suggests it's not parochial.
Ragman

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 07:08 am
@hingehead,
Because he finally has been caught with more definitive provable evidence that he was doping since 1995-1996. He deserved to go down. Finally there is a serious effort by officials to clean up all pro sports. The testing and enforcement efforts are finally matching the designer PED labs, the quality level of the PEDs and blood-doping efforts of the pro athletes.

I was a big fan of his and bought his book, etc. Lance simply had state-of-the-art better designer PEDs and had better masking agents (test defeating drugs). Technology and state-of-the-art testing have caught up to him and other PEDs athletes - hence the new spate of pro players that are going down.

The most recent MLB players that have gone down in the last week were using a fast-acting synthetic testosterone that dissipates VERY quickly. They got bagged though more sensitive tests and a different random testing schedule.

Naughty, naughty !
BillRM

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 07:11 am
@Ragman,
Quote:
Because he finally has been caught with definitive evidence that he was doping since 1995-1996..

Nonsense the proof is the words of cyclists and others that have their own reasons to throw Armstrong under the bus.

Ragman

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 07:19 am
@BillRM,
Why not come back and make comments when you know what you're talking about and not just make comments with some emotional heresay. His own teammates as well as Greg Lemond, who is the previous American Tour De France champion extra-ordinaire have long contended that Armstrong was doping. What was his/their motivation? To do so would cast a bad light on the reputation of American cycling, so it makes no sense for them to do so.

Stop talking out of your ass!
BillRM

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 08:49 am
@Ragman,
Once more it is the words of others and I can think of many reasons that there might be hard feelings toward Armstrong as far as hard proof there is zero proof.
InfraBlue

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 10:21 am
@BillRM,
The Washington Post had reported back in June that the USADA had found that Armstrong's blood samples from 2009 and 2010 were "fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions."

The USADA also accused Armstrong of having abused testosterone, corticosteroids and masking agents, but this accusation was based on witness testimonies, and not on the retesting of stored samples.
chai2

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 10:32 am
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

The Washington Post had reported back in June that the USADA had found that Armstrong's blood samples from 2009 and 2010 were "fully consistent with blood manipulation including EPO use and/or blood transfusions."

The USADA also accused Armstrong of having abused testosterone, corticosteroids and masking agents, but this accusation was based on witness testimonies, and not on the retesting of stored samples.

I was just going to mention that part IB. Detection methods improve. Samples can be retested.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 10:41 am
I'm crushed.

But I knew something was up after Sheryl Crow left him.

~ Me? I would have sat there and made every one of the bastards (who doped) and were now accusing me of doping to stand up in court and say what they had to say out loud.

I wouldn't win, but I wouldn't give in until the last dog died.

Joe(I've watched my last Tour)Nation

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 10:50 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
Joe(I've watched my last Tour)Nation

Are ya gonna stop watching baseball too?
outgoingpeep

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 10:57 am
@InfraBlue,
How sad.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 10:58 am
@Joe Nation,
I'm glad you brought that up Joe.

For what it's worth, I've never much cared for Armstrong, as a person.
For as long as I can remember, long before the doping allegations, I've always thought there was something off about him. High and mighty, beyond reproach. Because I live in Austin, I hear his name get thrown around probably more than some others do.

I truly believe that if he was doping (and in my opinion he was), he simply felt he could not be touched.

You, as an athlete said it perfectly Joe, you wouldn't win, but you wouldn't give in until the last dog died. You'd have your day in front of your accusers, and let everyone hear what they had to say. As Armstrong is even more of competitor than you, or anyone else I know, I don't believe he would give up, no matter how tough the going got, if he was totally innocent.

There's a lot of things here the public isn't privy to, and as said before, technology in medicine changes and improves day to day, and what would remain occult at one time, can become evident now.

0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 11:45 am
@InfraBlue,
Quote:

Sound like proof to me that years old samples with questionable chain or custody during that period is consistent repeat consistent with some manipulation.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 11:47 am
@snood,
I have no idea what he was doing or wasn't doing. I barely know anything about the cycling world and I barely care. All I know is that he's probably the only cyclist I can name and he's an icon of our time.

They can take away his titles and maybe that will matter to him, but it won't matter to me. He'll probably always the the only cyclist I know of and still an icon of our time.
BillRM

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 11:53 am
@rosborne979,
I been getting the impression for years that these doping charges had more to do with a large body of the cycling community not liking him and wishing to take away his achievements in that sport.

They can however declare his wins invalid all they wish to but he is still the best cyclist that ever put his feet on the pedals of a bike in my opinion.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:00 pm
@InfraBlue,
Will I stop watching baseball??? I practically have, I'm a Red Sox fan and what they have been playing lately doesn't have the slightest resemblance to the game of baseball.
I don't watch NFL football anymore knowing what I know now about the head injuries. American and Canadian Football needs to go back to Rugby rules: No helmets, no pads.

In fact, maybe we should end the charade against drug enhanced performance. Let there be no illegal drugs or blood methods. Go for it. Records would crash in sport after sport. People would able to drive golf balls 400 yards, ride bicycles at 40 mph uphill and throw the shotput up into the stands.
Within fifteen years, all the dopers and tranfusers would be so wracked by ailments and disease that they would either be dead or near.

Then we could put *asterisks* next to all their records and carry on.

~~2037: Dateline NYC
Joe(First man over seventy to run a four minute mile. RIP)Nation
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:12 pm
@rosborne979,
There was Greg Lemond. Pretty good guy; answered emails from strangers, and wrote his own lines.