Armstrong to be Stripped of all 7 Titles

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:19 pm
@rosborne979,
yeh, hes the Pete Rose of two wheelers
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:24 pm
In my worthless opinion (IMWO), bicycle races fall under the same category as soccer, or rather, sports that Europeans get overly emotional.

Meaning, I do not give a flying f--k about it. I prefer an old fashioned Schwinn with an ostentatious horn. Something like PeeWee Herman had in his movie.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 12:30 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

There was Greg Lemond. Pretty good guy; answered emails from strangers, and wrote his own lines.

Sounds vaguely familiar. But if you hadn't mentioned his name I would have no idea who he was.
Ragman

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:09 pm
@Joe Nation,
Lance Armstrong = Roger Clemens

How close is Katy, Texas to Austin, TX?

You ever notice how you never see these two in a room at the same time?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:18 pm
@rosborne979,
Greg Lemond? In cycling, was the Man...in the mid and late-80s. He was the tops in cycling and the first American to win the famous Tour de France, a three-time winner, the ultimate cyling championship...equiv of the superBowl of Cycling.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:29 pm
I've followed the Armstrong episode since somewhere in the nineties.
I wasn't there so I don't know. My take was that he used whatever, so I consider him as a PR master with lawyers, not a nice take, and as a user in multiple ways, including of the public. But, as I said, I don't know.

I remember LeMond's name, will wiki to refresh.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:39 pm
So long ago I mentioned that Lance ought to quit while he was ahead. Are steroids considered dope?

Rather reminds me of Jim Thorpe. Anyone remember him?
Ragman

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:46 pm
@Letty,
Yes! Steroids are part of the group....it's all Performance Enhancing Drugs. So is/are HGH (homan growth hormone) and EPO (Erythropoietin ... another supplement, a hormone actually, that helps blood carry more oxygen) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erythropoietin

In Jim Thorpe's case he was persecuted because the hypocritical Olympic officials of his day considered the money he received as a semi-pro p/t baseball player before he was in the Olympics, made him a professional athlete. His infraction had nothing to do with drugs, but was related to the hypocricy of those times.

FWIW, In 1983 that hypocricy ended by restoring his olympic medals posthumously, which didn't do much good to Jim. He died poor and penniless of alcoholism and in shame - attributable to the scandal.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 08:09 pm
@snood,
Seems pretty clear that he's only suddenly putting his family above litigation only because his friends would have to testify about his extensive doping and this would hurt the brand he built on that lie even more. So he'll don the mantle of his cause to deflect from his douchebaggery instead.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 08:12 pm
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:
~ Me? I would have sat there and made every one of the bastards (who doped) and were now accusing me of doping to stand up in court and say what they had to say out loud.

My impression was more along the lines of them being friends and former co-workers who aren't accusing him but who are merely answering questions in an investigation that they did not instigate honestly.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 08:33 pm
@snood,
The hell of Armstrongs case isnt that there are people who are being "Forced" to testify. Several people, including medical doctors were complicit in his doping because he was into using all the above as oxygenation supplemenst so his ATP reactions wouldnt yield the waste residues so soon in his body(lactic acid collect in the muscle) and he wouldnt cramp up. NOW, where it got interesting (as is alleged )> ARMSTRONG engaged in TRANSFUSION of clean blood and this would hide any residuum. THE whole thing was supposedly cooked up as a NON DETECTABLE DOPING SCHEMA by his team sponsors/
wait for this

I think it was alleged to be THE US POSTAL SERVICE!!!

I was listening to this on a NPR program this PM.
BillRM

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 08:47 pm
@farmerman,
By the way Farmerman I just hear on the news in declaring his 7 wins invalid they can not just go to the first runner up and declare him the winner as out of the seven runners ups only one of them was not found to had been involved with doping themselves.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 09:50 pm
So cadel Evans gets another tour de France win!
carolgreen616

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 07:37 pm
@roger,
It's possible that absolutely everyone was and he's still the best of the dopers. Dunno.
sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 07:41 pm
@carolgreen616,
That's what I said alright. Any reason you quoted me?
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 07:43 pm
@hingehead,
Interesting infographic White riders are those never found guilty of doping (including Armstrong) the grey riders are those that have since been found guilty of doping. With Armstrong to be greyed Cadel Evans wins the 2005 TDF from 8th....
http://www.culturecycles.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/armstrong1150px.jpg
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 08:31 pm
@carolgreen616,
This is what you replied to.

roger wrote:

There was Greg Lemond. Pretty good guy; answered emails from strangers, and wrote his own lines.

I have absolutely no idea why.
chai2

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 08:39 pm
@roger,
She probably doesn't know either.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 07:01 am
@chai2,
Given that she thanks herself for great information on a thread she started, this is going to be a fun poster to watch.
chai2

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 07:12 am
@ehBeth,
<snort>
0 Replies