0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 04:15 am
rough guide to the Tour 2010

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2010/0703/1224273904098.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 05:13 am
So this year will be the second year that I don't watch pharmacies-on-two-wheels a lot ... (Our public programs have reduced the live coverage - but broadcast some really nice features about various etappe-regions on a daily basis Very Happy )
Joe Nation

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 05:31 am
Going to have to watch online this year.
Joe(only ABC has coverage and they are always awful)Nation
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 05:47 am
i never watch as much as i initially think i will. but we have eurosport, so i'll catch it there every now and then.

i don't have a horse in this race yet, will observe at first, maybe root for someone in particular at a later stage.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 06:42 am
Theres a lot of Aussies in this years tour.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 06:56 am
Mark Renshaw
Cadel Evans
Brett lancaster
Simon gerrans (home town hero)
Luke Roberts
Allan Davis
Robbie McEwen
Matt Lloyd (2010 giro d'italia king of mountain)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 07:13 am
starts at 17:30 (euro time) on Eurosport. yes it does.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 08:30 pm
I'm quite cynical re all this now. I'll still check it out. I did watch the entire Giro d'Italia one year, as much for the movement around the land as for the race.
TV-less as I am, I'll catch what I can online, by now definitely not for the race, but for the tour.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 09:50 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
+ 1 Walter
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 04:13 am
Jul 4, 2010 - 09:16 Send this story Print this story
Cancellara wins Tour de France prologue
Swiss rider Fabian Cancellara has claimed his third career Tour de France prologue, with a win in Rotterdam.

Lance Armstrong came home 22 seconds behind Cancellara in fourth place.

Second place was taken by Tony Martin and third by David Millar.

The flat and straight profile of the 8.9km route was well suited to the master time trialler Cancellara, the world and Olympic champion.

Cancellara, who rides for the Saxo Bank team, had earlier shrugged off allegations that he might have used an engine-powered bike in one-day classics earlier this year.

swissinfo.ch and agencies
dagmaraka

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 01:01 pm
@dagmaraka,
Cancellara in yellow as Petacchi wins Tour de France 1st stage

By Justin Davis (AFP) – 3 hours ago

BRUSSELS — Fabian Cancellara of Switzerland retained the race leader's yellow jersey after the crash-marred Tour de France first stage won in spectacular fashion by Alessandro Petacchi of Lampre on Sunday.

Italian sprinter Petacchi, making his first appearance at the race in more than five years, upset predictions when he finished a reduced bunch sprint ahead of Australian Mark Renshaw and Norwegian Thor Hushovd.

Numerous crashes occurred in the closing kilometres of the 223.5km ride from Rotterdam to Brussels, leaving some of the top favourites for stage victory out of the running.

Spanish fast man Oscar Freire, of Rabobank, was brought down along with Cervelo's Jeremy Hunt when the Briton took a wrong turn on a tight bend with two kilometres to go.

Another massive crash with just a kilometre to go reduced the peloton further.

British sprint king Mark Cavendish, the winner of six stages last year, was among the big names also left out of contention, leaving his lead-out man Renshaw to go it alone.

After the carnage, Petacchi produced a thrill when he tried to shake his followers by pulling sharply to the left side of the road.

Seconds later he came over the finish line in victory, and later refused to accept it was devalued by the relative lack of quality in the final bunch.

"It wasn't unexpected for me. I'm here to sprint and win stages, and to do my best and that's what I did," said the Italian, who last appeared on the race in 2004 when he pulled out before the sixth stage.

"Of course Cavendish and I are sure to sprint against each other, but even if he hadn't been caught up in a crash who's to say I wouldn't have won. I think I did a great sprint."

Freire, a three-time world champion who is dangerous on almost any terrain, said the bad luck he suffered was just part of bike racing on the Tour.

"I was in a very good position, but the finish was quite dangerous," said the Spaniard.

"But that's bike racing, especially at the Tour. I was on Petacchi's wheel when I fell, but in the Tour it's always the best riders who win."

Cancellara took the yellow jersey on Saturday when he won the race's opening prologue over 8.9km in Rotterdam.

But the Olympic time trial champion paid his own price for staying up at the front of a chaotic and "nervous" bunch in his bid to keep hold of the race lead for as long as possible.

The Saxo Bank man had to brake hard to avoid a fallen rider, but still hit the asphalt.

"At the end I couldn't do anything. I had to brake hard, and ended up doing a bit of a somersault once I landed," said Cancellara, who admitted he was slowly starting to feel the pain of his tumble.

"Now with the time passing I feel like my shoulder and my whole left side are hurting."

Because the first half of the stage was held along the North Sea coast, some teams were expected to use the strong coastal winds to race hard in a bid to break up the peloton and put time into their rivals.

That failed to materialise, as a three-man break consisting of Dutchman Lars Boom, Belgian Maarten Wynants and Spaniard Alan Perez went on an early breakaway which came to an end in the final 25km.

In the end, the "millions" of people lining the roads from Rotterdam to Brussels seemed to play more of a factor than the wind.

Cancellara added: "The wind was never really that significant a factor. I think some teams were expecting that to play a big role, and that only served to make a lot of guys nervous.

"But the roads were just madness with the amount of people. It was like that from the start. With that, the wind, a lot of turns and quite a bit of nervousness in the peloton I think maybe some guys lost their concentration."

Copyright © 2010 AFP. All rights reserved.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2010 03:44 pm
Vamoooooos Contadoooooor!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 10:47 am
Made a small video from today's stage two hours ago:

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 11:37 am
@Francis,
Wonderful!!!
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 04:08 pm
Generally, the first week of the Tour tends to be uneventful in regard to the main contenders for the overall win. Stage three, however, might have proved the early undoing of Lance Armstrong's final Tour contention. Up until the third stage he was the best placed of the riders favored to win the tour, but that stage was run across some of the infamous cobbled roads of Northern France that host the venerable hundred and fourteen year-old Paris-Roubaix road race, the aptly nicknamed l'enfer du Nord, "the Hell of the North". Lance Armstrong suffered a flat and had to fall back to get a replacement wheel. He ended up losing almost two minutes to the Australian Cadel Evans, who now leads the group of contenders. Evans for his part honored his World Champion jersey by staying at the front and helping to drive the peloton to the finish. Alberto Contador, defending Tour champion, despite his slight physique did well in this cobbled stage and limited his loses, although he also lost just over a minute to the Aussie. This might be Cadel Evans' year to win the Tour de France. He's placed second and third in the last two editions of the Tour.

The stages to watch will be Saturday's and Sunday's which will take the Tour through its first mountain stages, with Sunday's finishing in the ski resort of Avoriaz. These stages will be the first true tests of the main contenders.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2010 04:09 pm
@Francis,
Thanks for the vid, Francis!
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 04:36 pm
cool. it's amazing how fast they whizz by.
0 Replies