Are you left, right, or center?

Rockhead

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 05:14 pm
@mysteryman,
I think you should say the pledge of allegiance, just in case...
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 06:58 pm
@JPB,
I just had a thought - who exactly is at the centre of this grid? How did they come to decide at what point left becomes right, libertarian becomes authoritarian?
JPB

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 07:05 pm
@hingehead,
No Idea. I would have put myself at the center economically, which is pretty much where I ended up on the other graph that ehbeth posted.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 07:33 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Obama's Nobel Prize was basically a bribe. They gave it to him for not being George Bush, and in the hope hat his foreign policy would be much different than George Bush's. And to be fair, Obama's foreign policy was different in that he didn't start any new wars. But to think he deserved the Nobel was silly. He hadn't actually done anything for peace at the time he won it.

And he hasn't done much for it since.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 26 Aug, 2012 10:37 pm
@joefromchicago,
He's done absolutely nothing to deserve it since.

The Prize awarded to him was simply another example of liberals embracing what should be an utterly embarrassing role of political Bobby-Soxers.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 11:31 am
I took the European political test.
Lots of the wording was confusing to me: my favorite was "It would be good for the public authorities to pay their debts no longer."
What?

I didn't emphasize anything, given the already confusing aspects of the test.

My results: I am a cosmopolitan social democrat. (What the hell is that?)
16 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 23 percent are more extremest than you. (The 23% was probably due to my demurring at the use of the word always.

I am rated:
33% cosmopolitan
77% secular
44% visionary
47% anarchistic
12% communistic
42% pacifist
and one I can't figure out, 23% ecological, but the red marker faces the other way than the rest of the above. I'll probably have to hand in the Jill Stein button I haven't obtained as yet.

McGentrix

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 12:19 pm
@mysteryman,
ha!

Quote:
You are a democratic National Liberal. 3 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 71 percent are more extremist than you.

Welcome to the 3%!
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:49 pm
Tryagain:
Your political compass…

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo231/a2kforsure/pcgraphpngforTryagainwhosresultmakesGenghisKhanlooklikeatreehugger-Copy.png

Economic Left/Right: 5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 7.64

Dang, years of A2K membership has taken its toll and I appear to be mellowing; it would seem I’m turning………….. Canadian!
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 01:55 pm
@Tryagain,
Tryagain wrote:

Tryagain:
Your political compass…

http://i379.photobucket.com/albums/oo231/a2kforsure/pcgraphpngforTryagainwhosresultmakesGenghisKhanlooklikeatreehugger-Copy.png

Economic Left/Right: 5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 7.64

Dang, years of A2K membership has taken its toll and I appear to be mellowing; it would seem I’m turning………….. Canadian!

You really had to work hard to figure out how to achieve that placement, didn't you?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:26 pm
@Tryagain,
Just a squidge to the left of Rick Santorum, eh?

Nice
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:42 pm
@ossobuco,
I see I'm sort of similar to Walter, which makes sense.

So, Walter, are you some kind of anarchist too? (This is the first I knew about it)
Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 02:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Some say so ... but certainly (I hope) don't refer here to the original,political meaning of that word Wink [The commanding officer of a large naval base once called me a "town guerilla" ... only because I was wearing red sox and didn't have my rank insignia fixed ...]
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 03:01 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Well, at least you probably understood the meaning of that sentence (about public authorities) I gave as a confusing example in a recent post. My choice of answer, since I couldn't figure it out, was "neutral".

Straighten out your insignia, man!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:04 pm
My "European" political test:

You are a social democratic Cosmopolitan. 13 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 14 percent are more extremist than you.

44% cosmopolitan, 62% secular, 36% visionary, 29% anarchist, 35% communistic, 52% pacificist... and 56% anthropocentric (I don't buy the animal-rights-don't eat meat-don't-use-the-monkeys-for-experiments-let's -all- be-poor-for-Mother-Earth's-sake rich kids baloney).

fbaezer

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:05 pm
@ossobuco,
Osso, if the arrow faces the other way, you're 23% anthropocentrical.

Good for you, away from the Green Freaks!
ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:06 pm
@fbaezer,
I don't either..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Aug, 2012 05:14 pm
@fbaezer,
Ah, thanks.

Must be my immunology/rheumatology research lab years showing up.

Plus, we're carnivores.

I do agree with best we can do type animal husbandry, or whatever they call it.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 01:17 am
@fbaezer,
Quote:
Good for you, away from the Green Freaks!

That's very strong statement, fbaezer.
Could you expand on it, please? I'm genuinely interested as to why you hold that view.
Why do you regard them as "freaks"?

Comparing notes on what the greens stand for in different countries: in Australia the Greens have emerged as a viable 3rd party .. an alternative for some to the big two: the Liberal National Party (LNP) & the Australian Labor Party (ALP). Though considerably smaller than the established big 2, they hold the balance of power in the senate (in the federal parliament).
As both the ALP & LNP have moved decisively to the right in recent years, many former "left" members of the ALP have transferred their allegiance to the Greens. In fact, many of the Greens policies could be said the be those which Labor traditionally used to stand for.

Anyway, to try & gain more insight into the policies of EU Greens I did a little Googling:

Quote:
The European Greens have always been committed to basic tenets of Green politics, such as environmental responsibility, individual freedom, inclusive democracy, diversity, social justice, gender equality, global sustainable development and non-violence.[7]

However, its relationship to the European Union and its institutions has changed dramatically and is still the subject of a lively debate. In the 1970s and 1980s the European Greens were generally skeptical of European political and economic integration, which was seen as contrary to environmental and social interests. ..... etc>

European Green Party:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Green_Party

No doubt I know considerably less about the EU Greens than say, Walter & others who live in Europe, but I'm really curious, why are you so dismissive of them? I'd be interested (especially on the left/right spectrum), about where they stand in Europe, compared to the other parties.
In my own country (imo) they've provided a welcome alternative the conservatism of the two main political parties. I think the political compass analysis is pretty accurate. If anything, both the LNP & the LNP have moved further right since .... :

Quote:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/images/aus2010.png
Australian Election 2010:
Conservative parties in virtually all western democracies have shifted to the right economically, and the Australian Liberal Party is no exception. However, in most countries a new generation of conservative leaders display eagerness to adopt more socially liberal policies in tandem with full-throttle free market (ie right wing) economics. In the case of Tony Abbott's Liberals, however, the party has not only moved right of the earlier Turnbull leadership years, but it has also shifted to a more authoritarian position on the social scale. This is a move that will no doubt appeal to the otherwise mostly homeless former supporters of One Nation.

Labor reflects this drift, now occupying a space to the right of the 1980s Liberals. The debate between the two main parties, however heated, is within narrowing parameters. The two parties are now closer together than at any other time. The clash of economic vision of earlier campaigns is absent. It's no longer about whether the prevailing neoliberal orthodoxy is actually desirable, but merely a question of which party can manage it best.

By contrast, the Greens, once pretty much a single issue party, have emerged with a comprehensive social democratic manifesto, more in tune with an earlier Labor Party, and significantly more socially liberal than either of the others. ...<cont>

Australian Election 2010:
http://www.politicalcompass.org/aus2010
msolga

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 06:20 am
Just took the European test:

http://www.politicaltest.net/test/graphic2/153595_eng.jpg
hingehead

Reply Tue 28 Aug, 2012 04:46 pm
@msolga,
Heh. What I found interesting/learned is that secularism is on the same spectrum (but different end) as fundamentalism (hmmm I wonder how china fits in that, their secularism smacks of fundamentalism to me) and the same goes for visionary and reactionary - I never thought about it before.