Republican Senate Nominee: "Legitimate" rape victims don't get pregnant

revelette

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 08:39 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Akin meant to say legitimate CLAIM of rape, i.e. forcible rape as opposed to date rape or whatever,

Rape is rape, date rape is still rape. This parsing of rape is just sick and contemptible.

At the core of the issue (aside from Akin's stupidity in believing a woman biology is capable of shutting down pregnancies of rape) is that republicans (some of them such Akins and Ryan) are trying to get federal funding out of funding for abortions for those who were raped or victims of incest which is also still rape. In other words ,now when a woman or young teenager is raped, she not only has to prove it in a court of law but also has to prove to the government that she was legitimately raped, according to their definition of rape, if they manage to get their bills passed at some point. Unless of course they manage to ban abortions even in those cases.

ehBeth

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 08:52 am
@firefly,
firefly wrote:
And Romney is now saddled with that platform, as well as his chosen running mate's similar stance on the issue.

Romney's not saddled with it - he's part of it. He's got history with the doctor who made the comments that Akin was called out on. This is Romney's team.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 09:22 am
@revelette,
Like I say, that is one of five or six issues I have with the GOP; it's the one major issue which dems are close to being on the right side of and even that is not for decent reasons.

By contrast, everything the dems do with this single exception is an issue and some of the dem issues could and ultimately probably will get us all killed, including the Gaea/anti-energy ****, including purposely ignoring the threat posed by Iran, including the 08 subprime meltdown, including the machinations of rogue agencies particularly the EPA, and on and on and on and on.....
parados

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 09:22 am
@gungasnake,
Gee... you get your facts wrong so call me names?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_corn
Cycloptichorn

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 10:03 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
including purposely ignoring the threat posed by Iran

Iran poses no threat to us. Stop being such a pussy, Gunga.

Cycloptichorn
Setanta

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 10:08 am
I like that bullshit about hte subprime meltdow in 2008 . . . hm, let's see, who was president in 2008?
parados

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 10:16 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

I like that bullshit about hte subprime meltdow in 2008 . . . hm, let's see, who was president in 2008?

It was too much regulation that caused it. We just need to let the markets work without regulation.

Oh.. wait.. Bush was against regulation.
firefly

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 10:33 am
@parados,
The only thing Republicans seem to favor regulating are women's bodies and women's reproductive choices.
BillRM

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 10:50 am
@firefly,
Firefly welcome back and you should fit right into the GOP as you had always wish for the state to get involved with people sex lives and enforcing details rules of conduct between consenting adults.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 10:59 am
Members of the GOP believe that women secrete a secret secretion which prevents pregnancy during rape.
They also believe GOP men secrete a secret secretion which prevents them from making wholly non-factual and bizarre statements in public.

Neither secretion seems to be working, yet they keep believing.

Joe(Bless them)Nation
Walter Hinteler

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 11:42 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Credo quia absurdum/impossible est as they say in ecclesiastical Latin [sorry, George Wink ], "I believe it because it is absurd/impossible" seems to be their motto.
firefly

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 11:45 am
Quote:
August 21, 2012
Just Think No
By MAUREEN DOWD
WASHINGTON

There’s something trying about an unforgiving man suddenly in need of forgiveness.

Yet Todd Akin is right. He shouldn’t have to get out of the United States Senate race in Missouri simply for saying what he believes. He reflects a severe stance on abortion that many in his party embrace, including the new vice presidential candidate.

“I talk about one word, one sentence, one day out of place, and, all of a sudden, the entire establishment turns on you,” Representative Akin complained to the conservative radio talk-show host Dana Loesch on Tuesday as he spurned pleas from Mitt Romney and other G.O.P. big shots to abort his bid. He continued: “They just ran for cover at the first sign of any gunfire, and I think we need to rush to the gunfire.”

He’s right again. Other Republicans are trying to cover up their true identity to get elected. Even as party leaders attempted to lock the crazy uncle in the attic in Missouri, they were doing their own crazy thing down in Tampa, Fla., by reiterating language in their platform calling for a no-exceptions Constitutional amendment outlawing abortion, even in cases of rape, incest and threat to the life of the mother.

Paul Ryan, who teamed up with Akin in the House to sponsor harsh anti-abortion bills, may look young and hip and new generation, with his iPod full of heavy metal jams and his cute kids. But he’s just a fresh face on a Taliban creed — the evermore antediluvian, anti-women, anti-immigrant, anti-gay conservative core. Amiable in khakis and polo shirts, Ryan is the perfect modern leader to rally medieval Republicans who believe that Adam and Eve cavorted with dinosaurs.

In asserting that women have the superpower to repel rape sperm, Akin ratcheted up the old chauvinist argument that gals who wear miniskirts and high-heels are “asking” for rape; now women who don’t have the presence of mind to conjure up a tubal spasm, a drone hormone, a magic spermicidal secretion or mere willpower to block conception during rape are “asking” for a baby.

“The biological facts are perhaps inconvenient, but whether the egg meets the sperm is a matter of luck or prevention,” says Dr. Paul Blumenthal, a professor of obstetrics and gynecology who directs the Stanford Program for International Reproductive Education and Services. “If wishing that ‘I won’t get pregnant right now’ made it so, we wouldn’t need contraceptives.”

When you wish upon a rape.

Dr. Blumenthal is alarmed that Akin is a member of the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology.

“What is very disturbing to me is that people like Mr. Akin who have postulated this secret mechanism for avoiding pregnancy have developed their own make-believe world of science based on entirely self-serving beliefs of convenience or just ignorance,” he said. “I don’t think we want these people to be responsible for the lives of others.”

But, for all the Republican cant about how they want to keep government out of the lives of others, the ultraconservatives are panting to meddle in the lives of others. Contrary to President Obama’s refreshing assertion Monday that a bunch of male politicians shouldn’t be making health care decisions for women, this troglodyte tribe of men and Bachmann-esque women craves that responsibility.

“Next we’ll be trying to take away the vote from women,” lamented Alex Castellanos, a Republican strategist who advised Romney in the 2008 race. “How can we be the party of cool and make the generational leap forward when we have these recidivist ideas at the very core of our base?”

Akin defended the incendiary comment he made on a Missouri TV show — “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down” — by saying he wasn’t talking about rapists being legitimate, but rather “false claims” of rape, “like those made in Roe versus Wade.” He said he meant to say “forcible rape.” Oh, that’s ever so much better.

Akin, Ryan et al. have made it their business to designate which rapes are legitimate, joining up to push Orwellian legislation last year to narrow the definition of rape to “forcible rape.”

And Mitt, who was for abortion rights (except for Mormons he counseled) before he was against them, in his last presidential bid went after the endorsement of Dr. John Willke, a former president of the National Right to Life Committee and father of the inanity about rape victims being able to turn back sperm if they put their mind and muscles to it.

The nutty doctor hypothesized: “This is a traumatic thing. She’s, shall we say, she’s uptight.” Adding, “She is frightened, tight, and so on. And sperm, if deposited in her vagina, are less likely to be able to fertilize. The tubes are spastic.”

Akin is right in saying this race should be about “who we are as a people.”

It should also be about who they are. They are people who want to be in your life, deep in your life, even when they say they don’t.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/22/opinion/dowd-just-think-no.html?hp
contrex

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 11:49 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Joe Nation wrote:

Credo quia absurdum/impossible est as they say in ecclesiastical Latin [sorry, George Wink ], "I believe it because it is absurd/impossible" seems to be their motto.

They may have taken some guidance from a well-known work of political thought:

"...in the big lie there is always a certain force of credibility; because the broad masses of a nation are always more easily corrupted in the deeper strata of their emotional nature than consciously or voluntarily; and thus in the primitive simplicity of their minds they more readily fall victims to the big lie than the small lie, since they themselves often tell small lies in little matters but would be ashamed to resort to large-scale falsehoods. It would never come into their heads to fabricate colossal untruths, and they would not believe that others could have the impudence to distort the truth so infamously. Even though the facts which prove this to be so may be brought clearly to their minds, they will still doubt and waver and will continue to think that there may be some other explanation. For the grossly impudent lie always leaves traces behind it, even after it has been nailed down, a fact which is known to all expert liars in this world and to all who conspire together in the art of lying."

(Translated into English from its original language)

Walter Hinteler

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:07 pm
@contrex,
There were a lot of "believers" in those countries where the original language is spoken. (And elsewhere, too.) Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

oralloy

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:42 pm
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
including purposely ignoring the threat posed by Iran,

I believe Obama will bomb Iran when they get closer to getting nukes. He is just putting it off until the last minute.

The one downside to waiting is, if one of the reactors starts operating before we bomb it, the results will be worse than Chernobyl.

But maybe it won't make much difference. Once the Uranium Conversion Facility is hit, everything downwind will likely be drenched in hydrofluoric acid. They might be too preoccupied to even notice the radioactivity.
oralloy

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:45 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
gungasnake wrote:
including purposely ignoring the threat posed by Iran

Iran poses no threat to us. Stop being such a pussy, Gunga.

Cycloptichorn

Iran's illegal nuclear program will not be tolerated for much longer. When they get closer to getting nuclear weapons, bombardment will commence.

If Obama doesn't do it, Israel will.

(I think Obama will do it.)
0 Replies

BillRM

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 12:49 pm
@oralloy,
I
Quote:
believe Obama will bomb Iran when they get closer to getting nukes. He is just putting it off until the last minute.

Not to mention computer software attacks on the program centrifuges and assassinations of key people in the program.

Steps seems to be ongoing by our government and Israel at least to stop or slow the program and we only likely know the tip of the iceberg.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 01:35 pm
Quote:
[...]Liberals may wish us to believe that no woman would ever stoop so low as to lie about being raped. But this simply does not comport with what we Christians know about fallen human nature. We, conservatives, all agree that millions of women annually conspire to commit murder on their unborn babies. So do you expect me to feel it unacceptable to believe they would lie about why? This is political correctness run amok. Why, after all, would someone willing to kill out of convenience not also lie for various reasons out of convenience? ... ... ...
Source and full text: American Vision (a Christian nonprofit formed to "restore America to its biblical foundation")
parados

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 01:39 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Luckily Christians like American Vision are exempt from human nature. They would NEVER lie.
0 Replies

JPB

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 01:43 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
I used the word "Christianites" yesterday. I see that Andrew Sullivan has coined the term "Christianists" to refer to people who strive to "restore America to its biblical foundation". It's a foundation that never existed, but why let reality to get in the way of fundamentalism? <sigh>
0 Replies