28

Republican Senate Nominee: "Legitimate" rape victims don't get pregnant

parados

1  
Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 08:02 pm
@maxdancona,
How can the party do anything? He won a statewide election. The party can't invalidate that. They can request he step down but he ran without the party's support to begin with.

JPB

1  
Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 08:06 pm
@maxdancona,
Well, he's certainly just excited the Dem base!

JPB

1  
Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 08:13 pm
Some Republican activists on social media platforms, perhaps going through a similar calculation, are calling on Mr. Akin to withdraw from the race. An effort to replace a candidate on the ballot would create controversy of its own, potentially including legal challenges. But if the swing against Mr. Akin in the polls is 10 percentage points or more, it might be an avenue Republicans would need to consider if they want to maximize their chances of taking over the seat. New York Times blog

https://twitter.com/PatrickRuffini/status/237300834520666113
By 80-1, GOP activists in my Twitter poll want Akin to step down as the nominee.

1  
Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 08:13 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

The rumor is that the Republican party is going to push him out by the deadline on Tuesday (after Tuesday they can't put anyone new to run in his place).

I think this guy's career just ended. Such a pity.

It is a pity. They might pick somebody with a chance of winning in his place.

Lustig Andrei

3  
Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 08:26 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

if you believe that, you are in need of some serious psychiatric help

You do understand the uses of irony and sarcasm, don't you, MM?
JPB

1  
Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 08:28 pm
HIs FB page is an interesting read. The comments are running about 50:1 against (based on the number of "likes" on the comments). Some R's are asking him to step down; some asking him to recant the statements. Mostly, there's outrage.
hawkeye10

-1  
Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 09:49 pm
i am open to exam of the science support for the claim, but have not seen any to date. It also calls into question the age old practice of wining armies raping the women of the defeated, as my understanding is that getting them with baby is half the point.
Below viewing threshold (view)
Rockhead

3  
Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 10:10 pm
@JPB,
since it was inevitable that he show up anywhere that rape is mentioned, I thought I would help out with what I have found to make reading his posts a little less painful...

I read every hawkeyes post using quagmire's voice, and add a giggety or two at the end.

it really helps to put them in perspective...

raprap

3  
Reply Sun 19 Aug, 2012 10:15 pm
You know this is the same binkie Missouri congressman who is proposing to withhold all federal support for school meals--'starve the children.'

The more he opens his mouth, the more he makes foom for his feet.

Rap

Setanta

1  
Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 02:20 am
@mysteryman,
If you belive i believe that, you need to go out to acquire a sense of humor.

BillRM

1  
Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 06:24 am
@hawkeye10,
He make a statement of fact?

Next he will declare the earth is flat and you will state he make a statement of fact?

BillRM

1  
Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 06:35 am
@hawkeye10,
This "fact" would allowed men to blame their partners for not having children as after all women had a secret power to shut down their bodies abilities to get pregnant.

ehBeth

3  
Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 06:41 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
From what I have read, pregnancy resulting from rape only happens about 5% of the time, but that is still to many.

given that the normal rate of pregnancy from any single instance of unprotected sex is estimated to be between 2.5 and 3.7 %, that 5% number is disturbing

a whole year of unprotected sex (with sex occurring within 24 hours of ovulation, and no medical reason to prevent/delay pregnancy ) gets you to 15% - but single instances of intercourse? 5% is quite high.
hingehead

3  
Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 06:53 am
@mysteryman,
5% of anything can be considered rare.

Woohoo. I'm rare. Less than 5% Of the population work in my industry, were born in my country, or even in the same year as me. If 5% of every act of copulation resulted in a pregnancy we would be drowning in babies.

BillRM

1  
Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 07:06 am
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/08/20/rep-todd-akin-is-wrong-about-rape-and-pregnancy-but-hes-not-alone/

. Empirical evidence suggests that he is indeed wrong: Research published in the Journal of American Obstetrics and Gynecology suggests over 30,000 pregnancies result from rape annually. “Rape-related pregnancy occurs with significant frequency,” the trio of researchers from the University of South Carolina concluded. “It is a cause of many unwanted pregnancies.”

A separate 2001 study – which used a sample of 405 rape victims between ages 12 and 45 – found that 6.4 percent became pregnant.

IRFRANK

4  
Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:05 am
@hawkeye10,
they guy made a statement of fact and he is either right or he is wrong on the facts. there is no place for offense in the examination of truth.

You really are a piece of work.

IRFRANK

2  
Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:07 am
@ehBeth,
Trying to confuse us with facts, aren't you.

IRFRANK

7  
Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:18 am
The disturbing thing about this guys statements aren't whether or not he is correct. It is clearly obvious he is not correct. The disturbing thing is that he is able to think these thoughts and justify them to himself. The biggest disturbing part of this whole affair is that he was able to get as much support as he did.

RABEL222

1  
Reply Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:24 am
@BillRM,
The earth looks like its flat where I live. Man those facts sure get in the way of the things I believe.