Republican Senate Nominee: "Legitimate" rape victims don't get pregnant

boomerang

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:27 am
@IRFRANK,
Agreed. Where in the world did he pick up this bit of "information"?
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 08:54 am
One, this idiot, Akin, co-sponsored a bill which re-defined rape using this same kind of horseshit thinking about women not getting pregnant unless it was legitimate rape. So this was not some off-the-cuff remark. It was an answer to a question in a interview.

(Did you know this idiot is on the HOUSE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY COMMITTEE?? )

OH, but here's the best part~~

Guess who was a co-signer on that bill? H.R. 3

Paul Ryan.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/08/19/712251/how-todd-akin-and-paul-ryan-partnered-to-redefine-rape/

Mr. Ryan needs to be questioned closely on this issue and whether he believes a woman can shut down her systems to prevent conception if she is being raped.

Mitt Romney made a statement this morning trying to distance himself from Akin's remarks. I'm sure that must have hurt Paul Ryan's feelings.

Joe(all three are members of the American Taliban)Nation

DrewDad

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 09:08 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Given that couples can have unprotected sex for years without the woman coming up pregnant

Obviously, they were being raped the whole time.
0 Replies

boomerang

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 09:19 am
This line of thinking is apparently not that unusual: http://www.buzzfeed.com/annanorth/the-6-craziest-things-people-have-said-about-pregn
0 Replies

JPB

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 09:52 am
@Joe Nation,
Quote:

(Did you know this idiot is on the HOUSE SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY COMMITTEE?? )

That's where he got to meet all those smart doctors who told him that women can "shut it down" while being "legitimately raped".
0 Replies

ehBeth

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 09:55 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:
A 5% pregnancy result from rape does make pregnancy from rape rare.

no - that is higher than the expected pregnancy rate from any individual act of unprotected sex

Quote:
Is that clear enough for you, or do I need to have a 5 year old explain it to you so you understand.
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 10:38 am
There is an underlying thought process going on here. The elephant in the room, so to speak. This whole line of thought comes from the desire to justify the notion of outlawing abortion for any reason at all. We can't allow women to get an abortion just because they were raped. Legitimate rape? What does that mean, as opposed to illigitimate rape? When the woman is asking for it, right?

Now, I am not pro abortion. I've had women in my family faced with that difficult decision and I had to face the fact that it was their decision. Not mine. On a personal level I believe abortion is wrong and other than a medical condition, would not be in favor of one. Rape is another difficult choice. But, I accept the fact that the decision is not mine.

Any man who thinks they have the right to enforce their judgement on a woman in this matter should be neutered.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 11:22 am
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

This guy is an idiot, but he is partially correct.

I agree. Rep. Akin said that women can get pregnant, and I'm pretty confident that's correct.

mysteryman wrote:
I will produce my source in a few minutes, I accidentally deleted it.

Me too!
0 Replies

JPB

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 12:09 pm
The fallout begins...

Quote:
Crossroads GPS has removed its Senate race ads from the Missouri airwaves in the wake of controversial comments made by Republican nominee and U.S. Senate hopeful Rep. Todd Akin.

Politico first reported that Crossroads would pull its ads. The news comes the day after Akin, speaking about his position on abortion in a television interview, claimed that abortion in cases of rape was rarely an issue because “if it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”

The advocacy group had spent millions of dollars on ads in the state to help oust the incumbent, Democratic Sen. Claire McCaskill, considered one of the most vulnerable incumbents this cycle. The group made a new buy just last week, CNN reported.

“The act speaks for itself,” Crossroads Spokesman Nate Hodson told Politico, when asked for comment.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/20/crossroads-pulls-ads-in-missouri-senate-race-after-akin-legitimate-rape-comment/#ixzz246x2XawP
JPB

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 12:11 pm
@JPB,
Cornyn's suggestion can be read as an ultimatum.

Quote:
Troubles continued to mount for Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) Monday afternoon when the head of the National Republican Senatorial Committee said it was time for him to reevaluate his campaign for Senate.

"Congressman Akin's statements were wrong, offensive, and indefensible," said Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), referring to the Missouri Senate candidate's comments that women who are victims of "legitimate rape" rarely become pregnant.

"I recognize that this is a difficult time for him, but over the next twenty-four hours, Congressman Akin should carefully consider what is best for him, his family, the Republican Party, and the values that he cares about and has fought for throughout his career in public service," added Cornyn. link
JPB

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 12:15 pm
@JPB,
Romney echos Cornyn. D'ya think they spoke privately first????

Quote:
So Romney in @wmur intvu echoes Cornyn's "spend the next 24 hrs" line. Trying to not be heavy-handed, but also not...subtle

Quote:

mpoindc profile

mpoindc MT @JoshMcElveen: Romney on Akin Senate bid- "he should spend 24 hours considering what will best help the country at this critical time"
JPB

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 12:16 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
DavidMDrucker .@rollcall can confirm: @NRSC's $5 mil MO TV reservation for fall will disappear if Akin doesn't drop.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 12:17 pm
He sez in an interview that he ain't quittin

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 12:22 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
S'ok - I think he should stay in too. Let the people of MO stand up and be counted.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 12:24 pm
Works for me!

Saw this today -

http://angryblackladychronicles.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/20120820-094000.jpg

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

JPB

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 12:43 pm
McConnell must have been late to the conference call.

Quote:
mkraju Mitch McConnell: Akin's statements 'totally inexcusable' and 'wildly offensive' and he 'should take time' to reconsider candidacy
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 12:45 pm
Various tweets are tweetin that he's going to withdraw from the race tomorrow.

Dang

Cycloptichorn
JPB

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 12:58 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I got a snicker out of these two...

dfriedman33 No one answering phone @ToddAkin's campaign HQ. 4 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
markos profile

markos So every Republican who co-sponsored the "forcible rape" bill has to withdraw as well? Cool!
0 Replies

JPB

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 01:24 pm
I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

DavidMDrucker RT @BuzzFeedBen: Update: Republican close to Akin says he's not going anywhere bit.ly/TQ2kWk 10 minutes ago · reply · retweet · favorite
DanTheDaily profile

DanTheDaily Missouri GOP source re: Akin-"Top names that are being considered as replacements are Jim Talent, Kit Bond and State Auditor Tom Schweich."
mysteryman

Mon 20 Aug, 2012 03:43 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yes I do, but unfortunately there is no sarcasm bottom to let people know when someone is being sarcastic.