Republican Senate Nominee: "Legitimate" rape victims don't get pregnant

DrewDad

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 03:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
He's congressman challenging a senator, so I'm not sure how you would even count his constituents.

I guess we'll find out when the election rolls around what the voters want.
0 Replies

BillRM

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 04:22 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
You can thank the tea party for that.....they who want to do what the people want instead of what the corrupt bosses demand.

Come on Hawkeye they was brought to life like Frankenstien by Rupert Murdoch using the Fox-network in place of a lightening bolt.

They are a tool for the rich and corrupt bosses even if they as a group are far too dumb to know it.
hawkeye10

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:09 pm
@BillRM,
That is an arguable point, however I was speaking to what is in their heart, and your being right would not negate that. I grew up in a solidly republican midwestern medium sized town, I know these people like I know the back of my hand.
BillRM

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
Side note concerning the name tea party as the dumping of the tea in Boston harbor and more important the turning of a great numbers of others ships full of tea away from major American ports had little to do with taxes and everything to do with rich merchants with warehouses full of smuggle tea that would had been ruin by being under cut in price as the English was allowing the East India Company to dump large amounts of very cheap tea on the Colonies to help save the East India Company from financial ruin.

So in effect their name stand for supporting the rich local merchants in keeping cheap tea out of the Colonies.
hawkeye10

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 05:35 pm
@BillRM,
Both good leaders and good manipulators know where the people are, and know how to use it to get to where they want to go. When I look around I don't see very many good leaders, but loads of very accomplished manipulators. The darth of leadership is seen on both the left and the right, so I don't get too worked up about how the tea partiers might be getting lead around by the nose.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 06:15 pm
@Joe Nation,
And I don't fit in the democrat party because I disagree with them on many issues.
But, since I have never been a member of either party its no big deal.

To quote Groucho Marx...I refuse to join any club that would let someone like me be a member...lol
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 06:22 pm
@BillRM,
You're quite right on your history, Bill. In fact, taxes or no taxes, the same tea that was being shipped for sale in the colonies was selling at a much higher price in the Mother Country of England. The East India Co. was dumping its cheap tea in the colonies. 'Course, the people who organized the protests against taxes on tea were no fools either. In Boston, they dumped it into the harbor. Dumb. In Charleston, So. Carolina, they, too, pulled a 'tea party' inspired by the Boston patriots. But they off-loaded the tree after taking forceful command of the British ship and stored it in warehouses against possible future need.

The story is that there was no shortage of tea in Charleston during the fighting of the Revolutionary War.
BillRM

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 06:45 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
In Charleston, So. Carolina, they, too, pulled a 'tea party' inspired by the Boston patriots. But they off-loaded the tree after taking forceful command of the British ship and stored it in warehouses against possible future need.

That I never hear of the Charleston situation it was my impression/understanding that all the other tea bearing ships was not allow to dock in any other port and just turn back.

As far as the tea dumped into Boston harbor some citizens of Boston try to rescue some of the tons of floating tea for themselves but they was stop by members of the committee who were behind the tea parties in other rowboats.
Lustig Andrei

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 06:48 pm
@BillRM,
The Charleston Visitors Bureau themselves tell that story to the tourists who visit there. That's where I heard it and there's no reason to think they're lying.
BillRM

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 07:31 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
The Charleston Visitors Bureau themselves tell that story to the tourists who visit there. That's where I heard it and there's no reason to think they're lying

It a great great story just one I never hear of before and you would think if this great story was true the British would had demanded the same kind of repayments as they did in Boston.

Hell others even offer to paid for the lost Boston tea including a group let by Franklin in full and the British was so pissed off they would only take the funds if it came from the citizens of Boston.

Still it is a great story and I am not sure I will google it as if it not true it still should be true.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 01:59 am
http://media.caglecartoons.com/media/cartoons/17/2012/08/21/117271_600.jpg
0 Replies

gungasnake

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 02:53 am
The basic bottom line is that the GOP supports a constitutional amendment which would need 2/3 of the states to sign onto i.e. which is never gonna happen.

Seems fairly clear to me that they're just throwing a bone to their goofiest voting block and I'd much rather take my chances with that than with the dems patronizing the NBBP and refusing to even look into its misdeeds.

For that matter, one excellent way to avoid becoming pregnant from rape is to starve to death:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starvation

At least I never heard of anybody getting pregnant after she starved to death...

Good and workable ways to starve to death include:

• Shutting down major agricultural regions for the sake of delta smelts.
  • Destroying dams and hydroelectric plants for salmon.
  • Shutting down oil operations for lizards.
  • Refusing to allow oil exploration for the glory of Gaea thus driving gasoline prices to a point at which people have to choose between gas and food.
  • Using corn and other food stuffs to produce ethanol.

I.e. all of the basic agenda items of the demokkkrat party.

I've got a baker's half dozen or so issues with the GOP while pretty much everything the dems ever do is some sort of an issue, so I go on voting against demokkkrats regardless. But "Right2Life(TM)" is definitely an issue. Akin meant to say legitimate CLAIM of rape, i.e. forcible rape as opposed to date rape or whatever, but the phraseology was so abominable as to render him unfit for high offices. He stumbled across one of the basic logical conundrums inherent in right2life i.e. that if any unborn has a right2life sufficient to compel hardship on another person, then they all do including the unborn children of rapists.

In real life, what that means is that the entire idea is bogus. God could not plausibly have meant for morality and logic to be mutually exclusive.

Setanta

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 03:01 am
Article V of the constitution reads, in its entiregy:

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

It requires three fourths of the states to ratify an amendment to the constitution, not two thirds. When Gunga Dim gets something so basic as this (and so easily found onliee) wrong, wrong, wrong, you can see that the rest of his rant is bullshit, too.
parados

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:50 am
@Setanta,
I must say I love his argument. Ignore the craziest **** they want to do because they can't do some of it without 2/3 of the country supporting it.

It's the crazy **** they want to do that they can accomplish with only 51% of the Congress that scares me.
0 Replies

parados

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:55 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
Shutting down major agricultural regions for the sake of delta smelts.
Destroying dams and hydroelectric plants for salmon.
Shutting down oil operations for lizards.
Refusing to allow oil exploration for the glory of Gaea thus driving gasoline prices to a point at which people have to choose between gas and food.
Using corn and other food stuffs to produce ethanol.

Shutting doen major ag regions? When was the midwest shut down? Last time I checked this year had the most corn planted in US history.
Saving the salmon would be the opposite of letting people starve.
Only you would eat a lizard. or oil.
Gas prices have little to do with exploration. The US refineries are running at full capacity.
Do you really eat field corn gunga? Perhaps you should do some research on corn.
parados

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 06:55 am
@gungasnake,
Quote:
In real life, what that means is that the entire idea is bogus. God could not plausibly have meant for morality and logic to be mutually exclusive.

I guess that's why you have neither.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 07:54 am
@parados,
Quote:
Do you really eat field corn gunga? Perhaps you should do some research on corn.

ALL corn is grown in fields, asswipe. FEED corn is normally fed to cattle which people eat. Unless of course it's being made into ethanol because libtards refuse to allow a nation to drill oil....

The Central Valley of California has in fact been shut down for the sake of delta smelts and the other problems are more or less as I described.

firefly

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 07:57 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Nope on #2 - the Republican party just adopted a platform on this issue that doesn't allow for exceptions in the case of rape, when it comes to abortion -

Here's the language -

Quote:
“Faithful to the ‘self-evident’ truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed,” the draft platform declares. “We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to unborn children.”

Why should Akin quit? He's just toeing the party line. The same line that Ryan supports and that Romney has agreed to several times in the past.

And it's because of that part of the Republican party platform, and Ryan's past ties to Akin on the "legitimate" rape/"forcible rape" abortion issue, that the Democrats aren't going to let this brouhaha die down--at least not for a while. Akin isn't just an isolated crackpot or party renegade, he represents a significant wing of the Republican party that is socially conservative and anti-abortion, which is how and why that statement got into the Republican party platform. And Romney is now saddled with that platform, as well as his chosen running mate's similar stance on the issue. And, as long as the Democrats can keep the discussion alive, and focused on this issue, they see it as a chance to galvanize more female voters, particularly in swing states, to either turn out in greater numbers to vote for them, or stay home rather than vote for Romney. And as long as the discussion on this issue stays alive in the media, it keeps Romney off-target in trying to talk about the economy, or health care, or Obama's record.

So, the Republicans would like Akin to shut up, drop out of the race, and stop drawing attention to the fact that his views on rape and abortion aren't very different than those of Paul Ryan, and they really echo what the right wing insisted on being included in the Republican platform. And the Democrats have every reason to be happy that Akin isn't bowing out and that media attention continues to focus on an anti-abortion position that most female voters, in particular, of both parties, do not agree with.

Akin might not only cost the Republicans a Senate seat, he may help them to lose their race for the White House. Had he not made his idiotic statement about rape and pregnancy, his remarks on abortion would likely not have garnered much attention. That he did make, and apparently believed, such nonsense about female biology, just reflects the basically misogynist attitude behind the attempts to put a woman's body under the control of the government, by restricting her reproductive choices, and by trying to promote the idea that some rapes are more "legitimate" than others. And the other Republicans who are frantically trying to throw Akin under the bus are being more than somewhat hypocritical unless they also acknowledge that Paul Ryan should be thrown under that same bus, for the same reasons. And that leaves Romney in a very uncomfortable position right now, in terms of defending his chosen running mate, at a time he is trying to woo more female voters.
revelette

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 08:01 am
The republican platform draft which was approved last night.

Quote:
•NO ABORTION IN CASES OF RAPE OR INCEST. The proposal for a “human life amendment” passed without a hitch — and without any exceptions for rape or incest. The committee didn’t stop there; they also adopted language that would ban drugs that end pregnancy after conception, including Plan B.

•SALUTE TO MANDATORY ULTRASOUNDS. The GOP officially praises states’ “informed consent” laws that force women to undergo unnecessary procedures, require waiting periods and endure other measures meant to discourage them from getting an abortion. One such law receiving a “salute” was crafted by committee head McDonnell, who passed a notorious mandatory ultrasound requirement after he signed an unsuccessful bill to require an even more invasive transvaginal probe ultrasound during an abortion consultation.

•NO LEGAL RECOGNITION OF SAME-SEX COUPLES. The committee embraced extreme anti-gay language, even rejecting a proposal to endorse civil unions for gay couples after vehement objections from Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council and Romney adviser Jim Bopp, who called it a “counterfeit marriage.” The rejection of civil unions, along with the refusal to include a line affirming the legal equality of same-sex couples prompted the organization GOProud to declare, “Those who have engaged in this public platform fight have provided distraction from important issues and damaged Mitt Romney’s campaign.”

•REPLICATE ARIZONA-STYLE IMMIGRATION LAWS. Kris Kobach, who wrote the now mostly invalidated immigration laws in Arizona and Alabama, pushed for language calling for a border fence, a national E-Verify system to make it harder for undocumented workers to find employment, the end of in-state tuition for illegal immigrants and an end to sanctuary cities. The committee overwhelmingly approved the proposals, as well as a line chastising the Department of Justice to halt the lawsuits against draconian immigration laws in Arizona, Alabama, South Carolina and Utah: “State efforts to reduce illegal immigration must be encouraged, not attacked.”

•AUDIT THE FED. The pet project of Sen. Ron Paul (R-TX) to audit the Federal Reserve has now been embraced as an official Republican goal. For the first time, the platform calls for an annual audit of the Federal Reserve.

•NO WOMEN IN COMBAT. The platform condemns “social experimentation” in the military, which covers everything from the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” to allowing officers to wear their uniforms in gay pride events to letting women serve on the front lines.

•NO STATEHOOD, MORE GUNS FOR WASHINGTON DC. FRC’s Perkins, who recently blamed President Obama and the Southern Poverty Law Center for the shooting at FRC’s Washington headquarters, requested and received a section specifically urging the DC Council to expand gun rights. The same section also opposes DC statehood, which would allow the District to govern itself and put an end to Congressional attempts to impose abortion bans on DC.

source

GOP takes tough platform approach
0 Replies

IRFRANK

Wed 22 Aug, 2012 08:03 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
His supporters seem to prefer ideology over correctness.

That's the norm for the far right ( new GOP) these days.

Arrogance and self aggrandizement is such a comfortable feeling.
0 Replies