Republican Senate Nominee: "Legitimate" rape victims don't get pregnant

ehBeth

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:13 pm
@JPB,
I've been following the language changes that could lead to 2) for about 5 years. I can't figure out which way it's moving right now.

The convention should be interesting.
ehBeth

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:15 pm
@DrewDad,
The single act number is pretty consistent across studies.

The 5+ number that Akin etc put out is higher than the single act number.

The study that the Washington Post referenced has one of the higher #'s I've seen - but it never seems to be lower than the single act #.
DrewDad

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:21 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

The single act number is pretty consistent across studies.

The 5+ number that Akin etc put out is higher than the single act number.

The study that the Washington Post referenced has one of the higher #'s I've seen - but it never seems to be lower than the single act #.

I don't disagree with any of that.

I'm just saying the study quoted in that article is complete crap, and both the researchers and the publication should be embarrassed.

It's like publishing a study about whether apples are the same as oranges.
parados

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:22 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
Of those 405 women included in the sample, 6.4 percent — or 26 women — reported a pregnancy that year. A separate large-scale study showed that, for the general population of women that age, the per-incidence pregnancy rate for a single act of intercourse is 3.1 percent.

I wonder if the increased rate of pregnancy isn't more indicative of the under reporting of rape. Is it possible some of the rapes may not have been reported until the pregnancy was discovered?
JPB

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:22 pm
@ehBeth,
The formal platform is being decided today. I think this will make the language (and the attention that independents give to it) much more intense than previous conventions. Bush and McCain both disagreed with parts of the party platform too, but I think the microscope is much sharper now. Dunno, but it's interesting to watch.

I'm still following the congressional media tweets. This one made me laugh. It came out shortly after Romney called for Akin to step down

Quote:
jimgeraghty I'm now receiving e-mail releases from GOP congressional candidates I have never heard of demanding Akin drop out.
0 Replies

contrex

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:23 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

if you believe that, you are in need of some serious psychiatric help

You Yanks just don't get irony, do you?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:23 pm
@DrewDad,
knock yourself out
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:30 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
Of those 405 women included in the sample, 6.4 percent — or 26 women — reported a pregnancy that year. A separate large-scale study showed that, for the general population of women that age, the per-incidence pregnancy rate for a single act of intercourse is 3.1 percent.

I wonder if the increased rate of pregnancy isn't more indicative of the under reporting of rape. Is it possible some of the rapes may not have been reported until the pregnancy was discovered?

I don't think that it shows an increased rate of pregnancy. Note that the statistic measured is "reported a pregnancy that year" compared to "per-incidence pregnancy rate for a single act of intercourse."
0 Replies

JPB

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:44 pm
I'm listening the Hannity Shocked try to drill some sense into Akin Rolling Eyes

He doesn't seem to be wavering.
edgarblythe

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:48 pm
@JPB,
I would not be terribly surprised if the guy hangs in there and wins the election. His supporters seem to prefer ideology over correctness.
JPB

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
That's pretty much what he's saying.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:55 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

I would not be terribly surprised if the guy hangs in there and wins the election. His supporters seem to prefer ideology over correctness.

Not only that but a lot of us are sick and tired of party bosses taking everyone who gets in trouble with the mob to the chopping block, they are spineless assholes each and every one. Let the people decide as the Constitution envisions...not the elites. I think Anothony Weiner for instance has been pretty clear that he made a miatake by doing what he was told.
DrewDad

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 03:01 pm
@hawkeye10,
The GOP for quite a while has been known for its ability to present a united front.

That ability seems to be disappearing.
BillRM

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 03:09 pm
@DrewDad,
The GOP will reverse course and support the idiot now that they was not able to force him out.
0 Replies

JPB

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 03:17 pm
Hannity now going down the conservative vs Republican path. No budging so far. He (Akin) is taking the position that it's time for the Republican party to become more conservative.
JPB

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 03:19 pm
@JPB,
Hannity - if Mitt Romney calls you in the next five minutes and personally asks you to step down what would you do?

Akin - my decision is to stay in this race... and to reclaim our God-given values
Rockhead

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 03:19 pm
@JPB,
and split.

I would take the republicans a lot more seriously if they let the far side of their group form it's own "tea party" for morals and god and white straight men...

I think it's inevitable.

maybe a few more losses in the presidential race will make it more apparent to them...
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 03:21 pm
@JPB,
Interesting.
0 Replies

BillRM

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 03:23 pm
@JPB,
Quote:
it's time for the Republican party to become more conservative

LOL.............
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 03:27 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

The GOP for quite a while has been known for its ability to present a united front.

That ability seems to be disappearing.

You can thank the tea party for that.....they who want to do what the people want instead of what the corrupt bosses demand.

How many of his constituents want this guy to quit? Is it even a majority? Remember that 21% don't even disagree with what he said, and that he lost no support after he said it with the people who will vote.