Setanta

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 08:33 am
Smart move.
boomerang

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 09:11 am
@hawkeye10,
I was just going to ignore this but it keeps rattling around in my head:

Quote:
not to be confused with "rape" which is erotic action that was not preceded with the level of consent demanded by the state

Seriously? I have serious doubts that rape is erotic even to the rapist, and it for sure isn't to the person being raped.

Seeing "rape" and "erotic" in the same sentence puts my WTF meter far into the red zone.
Cycloptichorn

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 09:13 am
@boomerang,
Yeah.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 09:13 am
@boomerang,
I lol'd at "eww."
0 Replies

DrewDad

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 09:16 am
@boomerang,
"The mistake was in the words I used."

Er... no. He made many mistakes, including that one.
boomerang

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 09:23 am
@DrewDad,
The "mistake" wasn't in the words he used -- the problem is the ideas behind the words. He can rephrase it anyway he likes and it is still an awful thing.

Did you notice that both times he said "words I used" that he sounded like he was about to cry?
DrewDad

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 09:35 am
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

The "mistake" wasn't in the words he used -- the problem is the ideas behind the words. He can rephrase it anyway he likes and it is still an awful thing.

Yup.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 09:43 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

RABEL222 wrote:

Maybe you can explain legitimate rape?

aka "rape-rape", sexual violation of another by force

http://dvdpgallery.dvdalistic.com/galleries/B/Blazing_Saddles/taggart-hedley_lamarr.jpg
You said "rape" twice.
0 Replies

Setanta

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 10:07 am
The Onion gives us the low-down skinny . . .

Pregnant Woman Relieved To Learn Her Rape Was Illegitimate

I Misspoke—What I Meant To Say Is 'I Am Dumb As Dog **** And I Am A Terrible Human Being'
0 Replies

JPB

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 11:22 am
@JPB,
JPB wrote:

S'ok - I think he should stay in too. Let the people of MO stand up and be counted.

He's staying in - even after the GOP threw him under every bus in the fleet.
JPB

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 11:24 am
@JPB,
Quote:
"I’ve been so encouraged by good friends who are closer than brothers."

Clearly all men.
0 Replies

RABEL222

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 11:28 am
@JPB,
The good voters of Mo. can choke down anything as long as its republican.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 12:19 pm
Akin announces today that he will NOT leave the race.

Great news!

Cycloptichorn
jcboy

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 01:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Awesome news! Especially for his opponent Cool
ehBeth

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 01:53 pm
@jcboy,
I dunno.

Missouri likes him and this could mean more money for him from the Chickn FilA troops - the Family Research Council's already thrown their support behind him.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/20/4741786/frc-action-pac-calls-attacks-on.html

I wonder if the Chickn FilA excitement of a few weeks back could have been a trial balloon (or inadvertently served as one)

~~~

I'm curious how far Romney and Ryan will be able to pull themselves from Akin - and if they truly want to. They've both got connections in this deal - Ryan to Akin, and Romney to the doc behind Akin's comments.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/pro-life-doctor-john-willke-linked-akin-forcible-rape-claims-endorsed-romney-2007-article-1.1141021

Quote:
Willke, meanwhile, defended his opinion in interviews on Monday, including one with The New York Times.

“This is a traumatic thing — she’s, shall we say, she’s uptight,” Willke told the Times. “She is frightened, tight, and so on. And sperm, if deposited in her vagina, are less likely to be able to fertilize. The tubes are spastic.”

Amid a growing outcry for Akin to drop out of the Senate race, the Romney campaign joined those criticizing his comment.

Sunday evening, Romney campaign spokeswoman Amanda Henneberg issued a statement saying, “Governor Romney and Congressman Ryan disagree with Mr. Akin's statement, and a Romney-Ryan administration would not oppose abortion in instances of rape.”

In 2007, however, Romney’s campaign had embraced Willke – who served as president of the National Right to Life Committee for a decade. In a statement announcing Willke’s endorsement, his campaign said the doctor would be “an important surrogate for Governor Romney's pro-life and pro-family agenda.”

"I am proud to have the support of a man who has meant so much to the pro-life movement in our country,” Romney said in a statement. “He knows how important it is to have someone in Washington who will actively promote pro-life policies."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:00 pm
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ezra-klein/wp/2012/08/20/study-rape-victims-have-a-higher-pregnancy-rates-than-other-women/

Quote:
Rep. Todd Akin caused a public outcry Sunday when he suggested that women who were “legitimately raped” would rarely become pregnant. Study after study has proven that theory false. But one provocative study, published in 2003, went even further: It found that a single act of rape was more than twice as likely to result in pregnancy than an act of consensual sex.

The study, “Are per-incident rape-pregnancy rates higher than per-incident consensual pregnancy rates?” was published in the journal Human Nature by Jonathan A. Gottschall and Tiffani A. Gottschall, two professors at St. Lawrence University in Canton, N.Y. They used data from the federally administered National Violence Against Women survey. There, they found a sample of 405 women between the ages of 12 and 45 who had experienced one incidence of rape that included intercourse.

Of those 405 women included in the sample, 6.4 percent — or 26 women — reported a pregnancy that year. A separate large-scale study showed that, for the general population of women that age, the per-incidence pregnancy rate for a single act of intercourse is 3.1 percent.

jcboy

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:10 pm
@ehBeth,
I was surprised when they made such a big deal out of it; as despicable as it was, it's just the normal, daily routine for the Teagag Rethuglicans.
0 Replies

JPB

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:10 pm
Romney has joined the choir of GOPers suggesting/demanding he withdraw. Two lines of thinking that I'm following are
1) His wife/family are his campaign manager/team - not a good thing
2) We may be witnessing the birth of the official split between the Christianites (American Taliban in my vernacular) and the GOP
DrewDad

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:12 pm
@ehBeth,
What a horrible study.

Comparing pregnancy incidents "that year" to pregnancy incidents for a "single act of intercourse?"

Not to mention the small n.

If I had any hair, I'd pull it out.
Cycloptichorn

Tue 21 Aug, 2012 02:13 pm
@JPB,
Nope on #2 - the Republican party just adopted a platform on this issue that doesn't allow for exceptions in the case of rape, when it comes to abortion -

Here's the language -

Quote:
“Faithful to the ‘self-evident’ truths enshrined in the Declaration of Independence, we assert the sanctity of human life and affirm that the unborn child has a fundamental individual right to life which cannot be infringed,” the draft platform declares. “We support a human life amendment to the Constitution and endorse legislation to make clear that the Fourteenth Amendment’s protections apply to unborn children.”

Why should Akin quit? He's just toeing the party line. The same line that Ryan supports and that Romney has agreed to several times in the past.

Cycloptichorn